DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Theoretical: Equipment Required to Hover at a Target Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends are drone nerds too and are excited to do some 4 real recon

Then let them do it and tell you the summary, that you're either right or you're a fool.

As a former private investigator having delt with many people in similar situations. I would recommend not wasting your time.
The root of the problem is that there is no trust. If you pull off the surveillance, either way you lose. Either it confirms she is cheating, or you will continue to be suspect. If she finds out you are doing it, you lose.
The lack of trust, for whatever reason you have it, is enough to suggest this is probably a relationship that is best let go. Without trust you will never be happy. And NOT catching her will not ease your suffering. I dont think this woman is the one for you. If she was, there would be NO suspicion at all.
Good luck with whatever you decide, but you are approaching a cliff that you cant keep from falling off of, no matter what you find.

Actually this is the best advice your'e going to get. Never mind what I wrote above.

What would it take in theory to hover at a target indefinitely without losing FPV contact. Assuming the target is 0.25 miles (0.4km) away from takeoff, negligable wind, and 400' hover alt. Normal power supplied operating inside a large, plastic tent/ground station.

I imagine required equipment would include

2x mavic pro drones
5x smart batterys
1x blue 5in1 charter (3 battery 2 remote)
1x OEM battery charger
4 man crew (5 with a forward spotter)
4x iPad w/ 2x charger
1x High capacity surge projector
1x PC for offloading SD cards

I envision a large 10 person tent set up on the roof of a building, powered by one or more heavy duty extension cords. A crew of 4 operators takes turns between flying and prepping. Drone A takes off and hovers on target until 30% battery warning , at which point drone B launches and flies to target. When drone B arrives on site, Drone A is RTB. Upon landing Drone A swaps batterys, dumps SD videos, and cools for 15 mns before the process is repeated. Remote controls being charged while in use with the standard adapter in the top of the controller with backup iPad batteries being charged separately.

4 man crew is divided into teams A and B, Each talking breaks in between flights. A 5th spotter could be employed downrange if VLOS is questionable.

My concerns are overheating the motors, you think this would be long enough of a cool-down time between flights. Also concerned about the voltages involved and keeping everything powered up.

What else have I not thought of?
From the start, you would likely be violating privacy laws depending on how extensive your "surveillance" is.

And something else to think out is pilot rest. Even though you say that the operators will be taking turns, they will be prepping when not flying (downloading and charging equipment) and likely not actually resting. Fatigue should be a big concern.

From the start, you would likely be violating privacy laws depending on how extensive your "surveillance" is.

And something else to think out is pilot rest. Even though you say that the operators will be taking turns, they will be prepping when not flying (downloading and charging equipment) and likely not actually resting. Fatigue should be a big concern.
Try working a job you don’t like once fatigue is no issue when you do something fun

not to mention the drone rules that would be broken while doing this.
you could give her a new phone and easily track phones where abouts.

67 gto
till i sold it

put a hidden motion activated camera in her bedroom, At least you'll have something to remember her by.

They'll never notice the buzzy, annoying, craptraptions flying in the sky. May need a fleet of helium balloons with GoPros tied to em...

You probable won't hear a Mavic at 400 feets in the sky, especially if you're un an urban area.

Not that I think any of this operation is a good idea, but what "drone rules" would be being broken?
you dont know where shes going following over bz roads,interstate,around people and such

put a hidden motion activated camera in her bedroom, At least you'll have something to remember her by.
sounds like you got part voyeur in you:)

Bad choice they bringing money now. I restore old trans ams for work I love old pontiacs
thats why i sold it,24k,couldnt pass it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028