DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is no way I owe this much money ???

I guess that was the missing bit of information. Crash and possible water damage. Not 'just a gimbal overload' problem.
You do have to pay for parts and labour cost.
If there's slight water damage, and DJI doesn't address it, after they replace other parts, they'd be liable if it fails later if crashes.
I had a second iPhone, and because the previous owner got the screen replaced by a third party, when the camera was faulty, Apple didn't want to fix the camera. Unrelated parts, but any problem that occurs later will be blamed on who fixed it last.

Trying to skimp on DJI Care Refresh/Insurance. Ends up costing more. That's why it's better to have some form of insurance and hope you never have to use it, than not having insurance and then paying more in the end.

They probably have some form of coating, but that probably to protect in case it got caught in the rain, and the pilot brings it down and dries it quickly. No way would DJI say it's water resistant.

Reactions: wsteele
200 mabey 300 I can pay but 1000 that’s ridiculous the damage wasn’t even assessed that’s wat makes me angry but hopefully they just figure out that the drone is not a total loss bc it does fly perfectly it’s just the gimbal overload. I think because I rushed them to give me a quote they just told me I had to replace it bc this idiot put water damage. But to be clear i specified in the description that it fell in a puddle after the crash not the ocean or a lake. So I was just sending it in to also make sure the little bit of water it was exposed to didn’t damage anything I couldn’t see. Also aren’t the mavics water resistant I don’t get it they took an honest description of my concern and made it into its water damage it needs to be replaced..REALLY?
I agree with you. I see your point. If the AC is in the condition you say then 1 grand is an awful a lot of money. This is an experience you will not forget.

200 mabey 300 I can pay but 1000 that’s ridiculous the damage wasn’t even assessed that’s wat makes me angry but hopefully they just figure out that the drone is not a total loss bc it does fly perfectly it’s just the gimbal overload. I think because I rushed them to give me a quote they just told me I had to replace it bc this idiot put water damage. But to be clear i specified in the description that it fell in a puddle after the crash not the ocean or a lake. So I was just sending it in to also make sure the little bit of water it was exposed to didn’t damage anything I couldn’t see. Also aren’t the mavics water resistant I don’t get it they took an honest description of my concern and made it into its water damage it needs to be replaced..REALLY?

The Mavic 2 pro has a sticker on the bottom that turns red when there is water contact.
I had my Mavic chrash because of low hanging branches of a tree near a pond. It fell in, but I could retrieve it easy. The AC was not fully submerged, but it did came in contact with the water.
Because of the red sticker, DJI did not do a damage assessment but for safety reasons offered an replacement.
Because of DJI care I only have to pay €119 for the replacement so I accepted the replacement.

d4e72179-ea93-4683-a90e-692e890b98ac.jpg

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Hmmmm. Very weird. A couple of weeks ago my MPP was in a minor accident. (It got stepped on!) There was no visual damage I could see. When turning it on there was a gimbal obstruction error. Upon closer inspection I noticed a bent leg. I sent the unit to Thunderdrones. Total repair cost was $106. Live and learn.

Just buy a new gimbal assembly and repair it yourself. It's easy. A couple screws and a ribbon cable (be extremely careful with the cable,) and you're set. You could even install the hasselbad if you want and have a m2p for about 5-600!

Reactions: Arce101
For what it's worth, even if your bird drops/falls/crashes etc., into a "shallow" puddle, or edge of a creek, maybe even 1/8" to 1/4" inches "deep" whatever, IF the cooling fan sucks in any water, your done.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I don't profess to know the full story around this particular issue. However, after reading this thread I would suggest there is a very good lesson out of which we could all heed caution.
1) Take photo's of your AC - from every angle possible - before sending it away. 2) Insist upon a written quote for a repair, before consenting to any work. 3) If something crops up that could not have reasonably been foreseen at the time the original quote is provided, then such additional work and associated costs must be agreed upon, before the repair/replace process continues. It might end up that a repair will take a little longer to complete, but at least it should happen, without any surprises plus an avoidable trip to the local pharmacy for antacid medication! ???

It is a big ask to expect any repairer to offer warranty on their work where water ingress indicators have changed colour. They have no way of knowing what contaminants might have been in the water and how future reliability might be compromised.

Even in circumstances where the customer might consent to waive warranty on the repair the fact that future performance may be unreliable is likely to present an unacceptable risk for a large number of people. Most wouldn’t be comfortable flying the drone after repair and a lot of repairers I suspect wouldn’t be happy doing the job for obvious reasons.

I've always be concerned when people that say they flushed their drone with fresh / distilled water, dried their drone out, and it flies again as normal, that they will not someday have troubles to various degree.

Here in Australia, if a motor vehicle goes under water over the sill panels, it is a statutory write off, can never go back on the road.
This is due to insurance concerns about wiring and electronics being affect mid to long term.
They just can't afford vehicle malfunction causing something catastrophic down the road (no pun intended).

I would think drones are more susceptible to electronics corrosion than a sturdier motor vehicle wiring and systems.
Fine circuitry, electric motors, they just seem far too risky to fly again, with the possibility of one day falling from the sky.

This is what I don't like... getting half the story. Because of potential water damage, they quoted him a new drone. He can say, "no thanks" and they'll send the old one back. Then he can send it to some hack, that will ignore the water damage sticker, to be fixed and hopefully it doesn't fall out of the sky onto someone's head. A large corporation can't afford to take those kinds of chances. Look at this thread. "DJI wants to charge me to much money !!! ". What kind of thread do you think will be started if they were to just patch the drone up and it later fails? It would probably be something along the lines of, "DJI drones could harm you or someone close to you".... Hahaha!

All.... not to kill the vibe - but the issue regarding this gentlemen’s issues with repairs and his drone was already discussed in detail in a now locked thread.

It was one of those “lesson learned” situations.

I've always be concerned when people that say they flushed their drone with fresh / distilled water, dried their drone out, and it flies again as normal, that they will not someday have troubles to various degree.

Here in Australia, if a motor vehicle goes under water over the sill panels, it is a statutory write off, can never go back on the road.
This is due to insurance concerns about wiring and electronics being affect mid to long term.
They just can't afford vehicle malfunction causing something catastrophic down the road (no pun intended).

I would think drones are more susceptible to electronics corrosion than a sturdier motor vehicle wiring and systems.
Fine circuitry, electric motors, they just seem far too risky to fly again, with the possibility of one day falling from the sky.
My insurer insisted on replacing my vehicle with new even when I argued to keep it. I got caught in a creek escaping a flood. Only damage was the airbag computer. The explanation was that their analysis revealed a high likliehood of salt water contamination. They said that statistics suggested there would be ongoing issues with the electrics over time that would cost them more than replacing with a new vehicle. That says a lot given how tight insurance companies are known to be.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Arce101, I hope you dont mind me asking, where are you now with the repair. I really hope you get it straightened out without a huge repair bill. Good luck with it all.......

All.... not to kill the vibe - but the issue regarding this gentlemen’s issues with repairs and his drone was already discussed in detail in a now locked thread.

It was one of those “lesson learned” situations.

Many of us are aware of that thread. This thread continues the discussion now that the OP has received a quote from DJI.

Just real the op's thread history on their profile it's all there and it seems to be the only issue they're dealing with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15