DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is possibly a legal trademark issue with "Mavic"

Good we're getting closer, does DJI have a stake in the bicycle market?
Hint: It doesn't. Trademark dilution would pertain only to a brand that was sufficinetly popular, distinctive or unique, and Mavic bike parts are neither of those. You don't say mavics for wheels when you talk bike parts, hell mine have giant WTB logos but still they're just wheels. You're going to find it impossible to argue dilution in court.[/Conversation]

See my post #22

Mavic (the bicycle parts company) DID have electronic devices (their wireless shifting) but apparently never claimed any classes other than (mechanical) bicycle parts...

Reactions: fakbik
I do wish they would come up with some better, more clever names though.... Mavic?.... what the heck does that mean?

Reactions: fakbik
Really? Try using "pepsi" or "coke" for anything commercial and see what happens...
Stopping at the first sentence are we? Trademark dilution works for coke because of the reasons mentioned...the same arena that mavic is lacking in... also point still stands, you are literally wasting everyone's time with this (figurative) verbal masturbation since those who run the French company have yet to act on anything...

See my post #22

You know what, I switched sides, my armchair law degree tells me that the TM DJI has on Mavic isn't valid because no two products can share the same name, despite the countless examples proving otherwise. /S

I do wish they would come up with some better, more clever names though.... Mavic?.... what the heck does that mean?
Fair enough. I thought it kind of odd myself. I doubt they were channeling the bike parts company or the family name. I wonder if it was something stupid like magic and maverick thrown together by some marketer under the influence of something potent. That being said, imagine the nightmare of rebranding after the announcement, looks like its here to stay.

You know what, I switched sides, my armchair law degree tells me that the TM DJI has on Mavic isn't valid because no two products can share the same name, despite the countless examples proving otherwise. /S

Fair enough. I thought it kind of odd myself. I doubt they were channeling the bike parts company or the family name. I wonder if it was something stupid like magic and maverick thrown together by some marketer under the influence of something potent. That being said, imagine the nightmare of rebranding after the announcement, looks like its here to stay.

Yes, there are countless examples of same names, .... but it just depends on how big that name is... to me Mavic is right at that threshold simply because they are international... now I'm sure that whoever at Mavic (bicycle parts) that failed to add "wireless electronics" to their assigned classifications when they developed their wireless shifter controller is probably kicking themselves... especially when you Google "Mavic" and they become #2 on the list (currently Mavic Bicycle parts is #1)

Chinese to English = lost in translation pretty easy! :eek:

I am not sure what I'd name it but I think I'd try to find something that reflected it's compact size... it's foldability or whatever... oh well, water under the bridge...

DJI's 'Mavic' is a registered product name while Mavic bike parts is a trading name. Mavic bike parts don't have a 'Mavic' product name to protect. If DJI released a drone called the Pepsi Pro then that might be a problem, unless DJI partnered with Pepsi. In which case GoPro might partner with Coke and release the Coca-Karma.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada