DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is possibly a legal trademark issue with "Mavic"

Mavic also developed wireless electronic shifting .... which is, well, electronic and wireless.... there IS the possibility of cross over in trademark classification.

After looking into it.... Mavic (the bicycle parts mfg) only has trademarke in the cycling and clothing classifications. Nothing electronic I could find.

DJI has indeed trademarked MAVIC in the goods and services of drones, UAV's etc... so a trademark issue is probably not the delay issue... it has to be something else.

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

DJI had to catch up with the release of the Karma therefore they come out (maybe few weeks earlier and not totally ready for shipping) to compete (and destroy) the Karma. Think about that for a second DJI early plan was to release first the Mavic "S" and then the "Pro" afterwards.They change their plan and went all out compromising all the shipping delay times... If DJI programmed that way will loose sale on the S model but completely ERASE the competition... just my 2 c
peace

I understand the products are different and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this (I'm no lawyer), but the point is Mavic is a well-know BRAND name and now there's an already well-known PRODUCT with that exact same name.

As I said I've no legal background whatsoever but I still see a potential conflict here. Maybe someone with better insight or knowledge could develop further... or just leave as it is, because I'm pretty sure the frenchie at Mavic HQs must know about the new drone and if they did nothing then it's for a reason LOL :D

Last edited:
The most possibly reasonable explanation I have seen that makes sense.. there is a company in France as Mavic SAS and supposedly DJI applied for the Mavic trademark just couple months ago, and if there is a legal issues with the 2 companies they legally might not be allowed to discuss any of it or even mention it until it's resolved and maybe they are hoping to resolve it really fast and ship them out, who knows, it would suck tho if they can't resolve this and stretch it into next year with another resolution ?? I really hope it's not some legal issue and simply just some software glitch.

I wondered about this. I race bicycles and own Mavic wheels.

DJI should have called it the shark .. It looks a lot more like a shark than a Mavic, eventhough that might not be a good marketing image. lol

first off that Mavic SAS is a company name in a industry completely unrelated Wheel manufactureing) it would be very difficult to defend a trade name with such a different product. Mavis is a model distinction not a company name. The owner of the trademark would have to prove that the violator using the name could or had intent to confuse the consumer or to mislead the trademark holders potential and current consumers. I think that is a long shot and stab in the dark

So DJI could call the Mavic a Porsche or Audi if they wanted because they are in an unrelated industry and are using it as a model name and not a company name? Ah, don't think so.

Reactions: AlexSP
Mavic™ to me will always be quality RIMS for my Cannondale™ of the 90s.....

DJI™ Mavic now will always be synonymous as the by word for DELAYS!!

So DJI could call the Mavic a Porsche or Audi if they wanted because they are in an unrelated industry and are using it as a model name and not a company name? Ah, don't think so.

That is a terribly ignorant statement. That being said, Porsche is beyond tacky and offers a variety of products in markets that they really shouldn't.

Have you head of Delta? Oh not the airlines, not the speakers, not the dental company, but the bathroom fixture company.

How about Burlington? No, not the coat factory but the holding company.

Dove? As much as I love their soap, the chocolate is terrible.

Apple? Records and Computers.

EOS? Canon, software, and a VW.

As it turns out, its not as simple as "oooh, dibs, no one can ever use this ever"

Reactions: Derf
That is a terribly ignorant statement. That being said, Porsche is beyond tacky and offers a variety of products in markets that they really shouldn't.

Have you head of Delta? Oh not the airlines, not the speakers, not the dental company, but the bathroom fixture company.

How about Burlington? No, not the coat factory but the holding company.

Dove? As much as I love their soap, the chocolate is terrible.

Apple? Records and Computers.

EOS? Canon, software, and a VW.

As it turns out, its not as simple as "oooh, dibs, no one can ever use this ever"

What an obtuse and weak argument you put forth. Mavic is a unique name created by the company founders. Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet that has been around since the 8th Century and has many meanings as do the other words you mention.

Never argue with a fool. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

What an obtuse and weak argument you put forth. Mavic is a unique name created by the company founders. Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet that has been around since the 8th Century and has many meanings as do the other words you mention.

Never argue with a fool. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
There were several other examples, sorry you're still terrible at this.

Also until the bicycle company files a suit I think you and your ilk are just trolling/talking of your ***.

Edit: also for the sake of accuracy, while delta is a Greek letter, which inspired the lexeme delta, the geographical feature, it should be noted that half of those companies are named after the feature not the letter, including the water fixture company and the airline.

Porsche is a girls name. Ferrari is a family name. And speaking of family names, check out the history of Kellogg's cereal---I think you'll find the history of that name an appropriate lesson on the matter.

I wonder what that makes Burlington?

Last edited:
There were several other examples, sorry you're still terrible at this.

Also until the bicycle company files a suit I think you and your ilk are just trolling/talking of your ***.

Edit: also for the sake of accuracy, while delta is a Greek letter, which inspired the lexeme delta, the geographical feature, it should be noted that half of those companies are named after the feature not the letter, including the water fixture company and the airline.

Porsche is a girls name. Ferrari is a family name. And speaking of family names, check out the history of Kellogg's cereal---I think you'll find the history of that name an appropriate lesson on the matter.

I wonder what that makes Burlington?

There are numerous cities/towns named Burlington.

People don't own words but they own trademarks.
Good we're getting closer, does DJI have a stake in the bicycle market?
Hint: It doesn't. Trademark dilution would pertain only to a brand that was sufficinetly popular, distinctive or unique, and Mavic bike parts are neither of those. You don't say mavics for wheels when you talk bike parts, hell mine have giant WTB logos but still they're just wheels. You're going to find it impossible to argue dilution in court.[/Conversation]

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi