DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thieves break window and steal drone from car in heavy traffic in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could have just been someones dashcam but yeah. The people that jumped out never even looked at the other car too. I slowed it way down and zoomed it. The way that glass broke when he pulled the package out just looked un-natural. His arms would have been jacked.
That's how tempered glass breaks, once you smack it with a tool, you can stick your hands right through it. Side windows are the same by the way. Windshields a whole different story.

If real, this is a travesty. If the car (or tags) are not stolen (probably was), this should quickly end in an arrest. But I sense that it will not. Pretty brazen robbery though.

This is why I have my rear windows tinted (Limousine dark).
In this case, that wouldn't have made any difference. The thieves had followed the photographer from a photoshoot and already knew what the equipment was and where it was in the car.

Because these people stalked them and jacked their equipment afterwards. It’s a reality for many. Maybe not for you, but imagine these guys with an application that tells them exactly where anyone in range is at any given moment. Crimes of opportunity.

So you're tryin to say that this incident would have been made more possible with RID? I'm calling total hogwash there. The jerks saw the photographers AT a photo shoot so they KNEW they had expensive equipment in their car. Pretty hard to tie this in with RID. That's quite a stretch there my friend... too much of a stretch but I see your agenda :)

" Camera car " in perfect spot , short video too !
Why does the passenger look the opposite direction when the perp is obviously right in front of him?...not sure why anyone would go thru that much trouble to make a fake vid but I hope it is indeed fake.

This is why I have my rear windows tinted (Limousine dark).
Mine are the same way but the PERPS already know that the car had expensive camera equipment inside. They probably saw them load the bag and knew right where to bust-n-grab.

Here's a little bit more of the story as it was reported on the 7th:

Situation Awareness is key to survival anywhere you go. The driver "noticed" the black car following but apparently she didn't think it was enough to be on HIGH ALERT!! Live and learn I suppose...
"Masha, who had been driving the car, had noticed the dark car following them after they had left the photoshoot."

Because these people stalked them and jacked their equipment afterwards. It’s a reality for many. Maybe not for you, but imagine these guys with an application that tells them exactly where anyone in range is at any given moment. Crimes of opportunity.
this is just one of the worries-Greg from the Pilot Institute mentioned with the FAA's proposed changes-

"Gulf Today" is a little iffy. It looks like you can publish anything there.
I couldn't find anything about that particular event in the Bay Area news papers.
I did find one other reference to it but the site was blocked on my computer.
in other words..total BS

Reactions: careless
I agree that nothing looks fake about the video. Happily, the license plate of the robbers' car is easy to read--let's hope it's not itself stolen, and the assigned detective gets the jerks.

It appears that something fell out of the robbers' car the first time the door opened. Would be delightful if it had thieves' fingerprints/DNA.
I noticed that too... but could not tell what it was?

"Gulf Today" is a little iffy. It looks like you can publish anything there.
I couldn't find anything about that particular event in the Bay Area news papers.
I did find one other reference to it but the site was blocked on my computer.
in other words..total BS
It's in the SF Gate, KTVU, The Sun, NY Post, Yahoo News, KRON Channel 4 and more.

Try a different search engine.

Also the victims gave a video statement and police report made.

What do you find "B.S." about all this?

Why does the passenger look the opposite direction when the perp is obviously right in front of him?...not sure why anyone would go thru that much trouble to make a fake vid but I hope it is indeed fake.
Why do people keep questioning the validity of this video? It was extensively covered in the local news (SF).

Such a brazen crime, A very planned heist. Lucky it was caught on a dash cam because the victims (especially the passenger) didn't even turn to try to get a license number. I hope theses jerks are caught!

Such a brazen crime, A very planned heist. Lucky it was caught on a dash cam because the victims (especially the passenger) didn't even turn to try to get a license number. I hope theses jerks are caught!
Put yourself in the seat of the passenger. In a matter of seconds, someone has smashed the window and stolen $7K in gear. I'm sure fear and some panic was the immediate reaction.

I hope that the police are able to work with the video and get enough of the license plate to match the video. The video resolution of the Tesla dashcam isn't great, I think it's 720p. But if you get enough frames, you can get a partial match. They don't have to match all of the plates, just the ones for that model car.

Hmmmmm....just read about similar situation where an RVer that had a 3000W generator stored on a shelf off the back of their RV. As they were negotiating the stop and go traffic in Denver, someone ripped off their generator when they were stopped at a traffic light! This is what happens when there are no consequences for this type of behavior.! I'd opine that such behavior would bring shame to their parent(s), but in this day and age, they were probably the ones that taught them to do such a thing!

Why do people keep questioning the validity of this video? It was extensively covered in the local news (SF).
I don't know either. The source I used may be a little "iffy" but as mentioned it was reported in a lot of different media outlets. I had seen the video earlier on imgur with the source from San Fancisco, but the next time I looked I could not find the original source. The Gulf Today seemed to have the most concise article which is why I picked it. It is good to be skepticle but this was reported and easily verified.

My take away is to be aware of who is watching with a little too much interest when flying near the general public. The thieves could have probably just as easily walked over to them and robbed as they were packing the equipment away.

Looks staged to me! I mean, if that were me, my first instinct would be to chase them down while on the phone with the police. I wouldn't be standing around scratching my head, and looking everywhere BUT in the direction of the vehicle fleeing the scene!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1