DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

things i learned when i got my mavicpro, and did not know (or wasn't sure) about before

registermore

Reactions
I suppose this could interest some people so I'm putting this out there:

- the vision system needed full calibration with the DJI assistant (just follow the phantom 4 instructions, since mavic ones aren't up yet). I suspect they rushed it out of the factory and forgot to do it?

-total amount of props with the flymore combo is 4 + 2 spare + 4 spares (10 props total)

- the 4 ways charger charges battery one at a time. basically it "queues" the charging, but does not charge "all at once" (given the size of the charger that makes sense, no way it could put out enough power)

- the controller ships with an iphone cable installed and does contain a usb3 and usb2 (micro) connectors.. in addition to a regular usb to micro usb2 cable (for mavic connection to pc, or connecting to the regular usb connector of the controller for when you cannot use the phone connector, for tablets for example)

- the gimbal protection is inside the gimbal under the plastic dome ("of course"). just be careful and remove it before you power it on the first time... its easy to forget, and the builtin firmware will heat up (and possibly damage) the gimbal if you forget it. once you update the firmware, there's a fix for that (so that it doesnt try to move the gimbal at startup if its blocked)

- batteries shipped at 10% capacity which is below normal (voltage below transport voltage). i guess thats because they rushed it as well, but make sure you charge them a bit as soon as you get it, specially the first batches...

- the mavic bag from the flymore combo is very good quality indeed

ps: i build quadcopters and other things fpv since 2009, got a P3 and other "off the shelves" drones before - this one drone is amazing so far.

How about:-

- the controller battery is quite small and you'll be charging it more often

Mine went down to 60% after two flights whereas the P3 controller seems to go on forever. I literally cannot remember the last time I charged that thing.

Mine went down to 60% after two flights whereas the P3 controller seems to go on forever. I literally cannot remember the last time I charged that thing.
Hmm.. Good to know. So if you have 3 batteries and you fly all 3, you will be charging batteries and the controller before your next flight......

Reactions: firerm
- the 4 ways charger charges battery one at a time.

Woooow... i didn't know that !!! That's a pretty bad news.
I'm happy to bought the combo bundle with car charger, and have a 12V supply with cigarette lighter plug at home. But it's still 2 at a time.
Thanks for all this interesting informations.

Hmm.. Good to know. So if you have 3 batteries and you fly all 3, you will be charging batteries and the controller before your next flight......

Yes and I cannot find mention of it in the manual but I am pretty sure with the P3 charger the manual said not to charge both controller and a flight battery at the same time. If that is the same for the Mavic so you might be waiting for hours.

My remote battery almost seems to improperly report battery level. After my last flight I showed 78%. This morning I checked it and it read 68%. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Not only that, but my iPhone 6s Plus loses about 25-30% of its battery every 20 min of flight (with max brightness). So if you're like me and you use GPS to get to a new flying spot (and back home), make sure you bring a charger or power bank.

My remote battery almost seems to improperly report battery level. After my last flight I showed 78%. This morning I checked it and it read 68%. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Not only that, but my iPhone 6s Plus loses about 25-30% of its battery every 20 min of flight (with max brightness). So if you're like me and you use GPS to get to a new flying spot (and back home), make sure you bring a charger or power bank.
You iPhone's battery drop doesn't sound right. I drop less than 10 percent each flight on my Note 4. Does the iPhone show charging when plugged in?

The blue charger will be out soon. You can buy that and charge everything at once.

It could be weather. Extreme cold will drain battery.

You iPhone's battery drop doesn't sound right. I drop less than 10 percent each flight on my Note 4. Does the iPhone show charging when plugged in?
No, it charges fine. I'm running iOS 10.1. I've noticed less battery with this update. Hopefully it's that.

It could be weather. Extreme cold will drain battery.
Could be. It's about 55 degrees when I fly. I don't consider that extreme cold though.

- the vision system needed full calibration with the DJI assistant (just follow the phantom 4 instructions, since mavic ones aren't up yet). I suspect they rushed it out of the factory and forgot to do it?

Thank you for sharing your observations!
How did you become aware of the need to calibrate the vision system?

No, it charges fine. I'm running iOS 10.1. I've noticed less battery with this update. Hopefully it's that.

Sorry, I meant does it show charging when plugged into the controller. I'm wondering if only Androids do that.

Sorry, I meant does it show charging when plugged into the controller. I'm wondering if only Androids do that.
Looking now, my phone doesn't show charging when connected to the remote.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your observations!
How did you become aware of the need to calibrate the vision system?

it wont take off if its never been calibrated (and will show vision calibration required)

true, i dont have enough flights to be sure but the controller battery seemed to go quite fast. I suspect it might go empty after 4-5 full flights. Might be why they provide a thing to charge the tx from flight batteries ;-)
note: my phone definitely charges fast when connected to the remote so maybe that's that too

Reactions: roedaal
I guess just Androids charge. Finally one advantage for Android. Lol
I would prefer the remote not to charge the device. I heard the controller doesn't have a big battery and hence you don't get as much flights as you do with the P3/P4 controllers.

I heard the controller doesn't have a big battery and hence you don't get as much flights as you do with the P3/P4 controllers.
Right. It'll last for about 6-7 Mavic batteries.

Reactions: m0j0
I would prefer the remote not to charge the device. I heard the controller doesn't have a big battery and hence you don't get as much flights as you do with the P3/P4 controllers.
I'm the opposite. I keep my phone attached to the controller, so I don't have to unplug and fiddle getting it in each time. Then I just charge they controller every few flights. I carry a portable battery charger just in case as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS