DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about a skin (wrap)

I had one on my old drone and just bought one that looks like Iron Man for my Mini 2. Having applied it yet though but they both are from www.decalgirl.com. They make great stuff and fast shopping. I’ve also picked up wraps for my GoPro’s from them and they look awesome.

My prop clearance on my Mavic Air is so close to to the top of the body I would be afraid of props hitting the skins, Especially a wetsuit would interfere with flight. Does any other flyers of Mavic air have interference "Prop Rubbing" to their skins. I don't use anything just basic .

So I'm thinking about a wrap for my MA2, orange would be my first choice , its my favorite color, and I'm thinking much easier to see than the "sky gray" it comes stock in.
I see lots of you have skins, so who's to buy and why please..
I had a skin on my first MA2. And will likely put a duplicate on my 2nd; but, with alterations. Prop Guards and Landing Gear Extensions wont fit with skins. The fitment without the skin's thickness is very tight. The accessories wont fit with the skin material thickness. A few careful alterations to skin sections will work.

I had a skin on my first MA2. And will likely put a duplicate on my 2nd; but, with alterations. Prop Guards and Landing Gear Extensions wont fit with skins. The fitment without the skin's thickness is very tight. The accessories wont fit with the skin material thickness. A few careful alterations to skin sections will work.
So what happened to the first one? An d I didn’t know they had prop guards for them.

I just got a bright orange marker and decorated my MM myself. Makes it distinctive enough, but on a small drone any new coverings don't make it stand out any more over 100 metres away.

Mavic Mini painting 1.jpgMavic Mini painting 2.jpgMavic Mini painting 3.JPGMavic Mini painting 4.JPGMavic Mini painting 5.JPGMavic Mini painting 6.JPG
Mavic Mini painting 0.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Bradders71
So I ordered one from the Decal Girl In BFO, had a 30% discount and got for $21.14 delivered.. we'll see how it is.. 21 bucks isn't to bad a gamble, and most reviews are good.
I had a Decal Girl skin on my MA2 but removed it about a week later. Those visible stock grey color areas where the skin ends was a huge eyesore for me. I haven't seen any true edge-to-edge skins. Apparently I have some form of OCD that only kicks in when it comes to my MA2, but I think I've found the answer. I have a couple damaged body parts that I had to replace from a previous crash. I decided to test the possibility of air brushing my MA2. I airbrushed those damaged parts with great results. Although it can be done with painters tape to cover critical areas and openings, I'm more than comfortable taking it completely apart. Also, airbrushing uses minimal paint so no worries about a huge increase in weight. My guesstimate is that a skin is heavier than airbrushing. Once it's complete I'll post.

7125B34A-74EA-4395-B4F2-AF6C852B5A76.jpegI have used several brands... Wrapgrade is my choice due to perfect fit and twice as thick giving extra durability. Mine looks new after over a year and thousands of flights
6D4C04CB-A67A-427D-99BD-0ED032ABEACB.jpeg

Reactions: Hauptmann
I used Wrapgrade myself for my MM1. It's a little pricey and harder to get some version because of the pandemic. And I added my FAA # with decals from Aerial Pixel and I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• Drone-Mini Me.JPG
    Drone-Mini Me.JPG
    504.3 KB · Views: 26
So I'm thinking about a wrap for my MA2, orange would be my first choice , its my favorite color, and I'm thinking much easier to see than the "sky gray" it comes stock in.
I see lots of you have skins, so who's to buy and why please..
I had to put an orange skin on my Mavic Air. When i first got it I would lose sight of it all the time. Once it was only 25 ft away and 5ft high, it was in front of a tall bush

Reactions: A.O.
I had a Decal Girl skin on my MA2 but removed it about a week later. Those visible stock grey color areas where the skin ends was a huge eyesore for me. I haven't seen any true edge-to-edge skins. Apparently I have some form of OCD that only kicks in when it comes to my MA2, but I think I've found the answer. I have a couple damaged body parts that I had to replace from a previous crash. I decided to test the possibility of air brushing my MA2. I airbrushed those damaged parts with great results. Although it can be done with painters tape to cover critical areas and openings, I'm more than comfortable taking it completely apart. Also, airbrushing uses minimal paint so no worries about a huge increase in weight. My guesstimate is that a skin is heavier than airbrushing.

I had to put an orange skin on my Mavic Air. When i first got it I would lose sight of it all the time. Once it was only 25 ft away and 5ft high, it was in front of a tall bush
Yes, I too have had that happen, hence my desire for a bright skin.

Alrighty then, I ordered the Decalgirl skin last week it came in yesterday and I did it this morning! Its not perfect, but what is? Took me right at about an hour, it has a couple very small wrinkles but I doubt I'll see them at a couple hundred feet!! ? It wasn't that hard to do just took my time and made adjustment as I went along. A pair of tweezers for the small pieces are handy, a knife with a sharp point to pick the edge of the skin for re-adjustment and a sturdy Q-tip like thing for smoothing down where my fingers didn't want to fit. Well see how they look in the air and how they hold up, have an extra battery skin for when I get my third battery...
Oh, a couple other things, I took the props off and left that gimbal protector on.. that gimbal seems SO fragile to me.

IMG_4558.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good A.O nicely done. Hopefully get mine soon, i'm in the UK
so has a bit further to travel than yours did. ??

• Haha
Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada