DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about a skin (wrap)

I have read this thread with interest, have been considering a Hi-Vis color, has anyone used these products (raincoat and decal) in hi temperature environments. I consistently fly in 38 - 42 degree Centigrade days and would be concerned with a wrap or skin separating and interfering with the operation of the drone or increasing the internal temperature of the drone. Should I be concerned?

I have read this thread with interest, have been considering a Hi-Vis color, has anyone used these products (raincoat and decal) in hi temperature environments. I consistently fly in 38 - 42 degree Centigrade days and would be concerned with a wrap or skin separating and interfering with the operation of the drone or increasing the internal temperature of the drone. Should I be concerned?
The Wet Suit make for a really nice look on many of the Skins , there is no concern for temps on the drone from the Wet Suit or the Skins , here is a picture of the Wet Suit with a Skin. They can enhance the look of the drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on water.

2019012795181654.jpg

Reactions: A.O. and Gagey52
Is that skin on the props if so could easily cause vibration in the propellers if it starts peeling back
No. Those are MAS props that by dumb luck happen to match the wrap color. I was hoping that MAS would make a neon green set as well

Hi A.O
i haven't used them yet personally ( will soon ) but apparently
decalgirl.com are very good. They do gloss/ matt and fluorescent
orange. You get the drone and 3 batteries for the price and their
material doesn't leave residue when removed. ??
WOW! Just checked the decalgirl website and they have HUNDREDS of patterns for DJI models, $25, including 3 batteries and RC.

I don't really understand how those wetsuits are supposed to protect the internals. It's not the surface areas that need sealing off, it's the seams. Do they divert water away from the craft in general by being water repellant?

@WickedAC i myself would not fly any of my drones in wet conditions ,that included not only rain but fog or any moisture laden air the main place it seems that water can enter the drone is the battery and battery compartment which is at the top ,the wet suit attempts to stop this by sealing over the battery and also the battery on off button ,if water were to be ingested into the battery it could short out the contacts and cause the drone to fall from the sky or worse catch fire

I don't really understand how those wetsuits are supposed to protect the internals. It's not the surface areas that need sealing off, it's the seams. Do they divert water away from the craft in general by being water repellant?
I agree and would not fly mine in any foul weather but I have watched a couple of

Phantomrain.org's​

videos and holy camoly the stuff he flies in is just nuts! But.. it must work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
A.O
advising you that Decalgirl was the way to go has finally prompted
me to get my wallet out, and because it was 30% off ?
so ordered mine last night. Will post pics
when done ( providing i make a good job of it ) ???

Reactions: A.O.
A.O
advising you that Decalgirl was the way to go has finally prompted
me to get my wallet out, and because it was 30% off ?
so ordered mine last night. Will post pics
when done ( providing i make a good job of it ) ???
I will do the same.. and give a review of the process.

since i took those pics ,i have now placed a light right at the back as well ,so i can see the orientation of the drone better ,they are strobon cree LED lights and they just help me to see the drone, they are better in dull cloudy conditions, and in very low light i can see them very clearly ,the rear one is a Lume cube anti collision light
its not just about being able to increase VLOS so much, as improving orientation ,and finding the drone, when i have looked at the screen and then look back up

@THE CYBORG you have to watch what sort of tape you use be careful its not got a thin foil under the colour to help make it reflect, i recently put a strip of 1inch wide yellow metallic reflective strip down the length of my MM on the top surface ,when i went to fly it struggled to get a GPS lock ,in a place where i had not had issues before,after some head scratching i thought the only thing that was different was the strip of tape ,so i removed it and got a sat lock in no time ,after getting back home i discovered that under the colour layer was a foil layer then the backing paper and finally the glue the strips on the arms had no effect just the piece on the top where the GPS receiver is located
I had the same experience with a Wrapgrade metallic skin I put on my M2P. The aluminum powder in the skin acted like chaff, and reflected GPS signals and inputs from my controller. Removed the skin, and everything was fine.

Non-metallic solid or camo colors are probably OK. BTW, The fit of the Wrapgrade skin was superb, as were the installation instructions. Wrapgrade costs a bit more than some others, but well worth it.

Last edited:
I like the hologram look. It keeps the birds away and never have a problem locating it when the sun is out. Plus, the ladies love it!
That looks like the color I chose. I had to remove mine, due to GPS/controller signal interference caused by the aluminum powder in the skin which provides the metallic look. My second choice would have been Air Force Silver, which may have been worse. If you experience GPS and control issues, try removing the skin only over the radio and GPS antennas first. instead of removing the whole skin, as I did.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie