DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about adding a Zoom

marcjmarlowe

Reactions
Hi all I am new to th drone world and purchased a Mavic Air about 3 weeks ago. after Flying the air MA for a short time I am thinking the zoom feature would be a huge benifit. Can you tell me what else I would be gaining by adding this drone. Is the camera better? Not sure how it compares to what I have ..

Thanks

Hi all I am new to th drone world and purchased a Mavic Air about 3 weeks ago. after Flying the air MA for a short time I am thinking the zoom feature would be a huge benifit. Can you tell me what else I would be gaining by adding this drone. Is the camera better? Not sure how it compares to what I have ..

Thanks

You'll gain about twice the flight time per battery. I did the same thing. I got the Air and then 6 months later added the Mavic 2 Zoom.

Reactions: Ray Singcar
Reactions: silverdragon
The Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro have bigger camera sensors than the Air. Both of the M2's are heavier, and are more stable in the wind. The M2 is quieter than the Air, and might be the quietest drone DJI has ever made.

I fly every day. The Mavic 2 has become my "go to" drone, and my Air, Spark, and Mavic Pro all wait for their turn to be flown. After having flown hundreds of Mavic 2 flights, sometimes it feels like all my other drones are obsolescent, with the exception of my Phantoms, which I consider totally obsolete because of their bulk.

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22
I’m guessing your happy you made the change?

I am. I still have both and fly both but I really like the increased flight time of the 2.

Thanks

I have both a Mavic Air and a Mavic 2 Pro. I have spent time with the Zoom as well and flown it many times. The Mavic 2 Pro makes a much better compliment to the Air, in my opinion. You gain a lot more in return for the size/weight sacrifice. If you didn't have the Air already, then it would be more of a toss-up depending on your usage goals.

The M2Z and Air use the same image sensor, and have all the same drawbacks of a tiny 1/2.3" low (12MP) resolution sensor. You aren't really upgrading the image quality in that case, mostly just the done body itself.

The M2Z is definitely a better drone than the Air overall, provided size and weight are a non-issue (it is over twice as big and twice as heavy, doesn't fold up as nicely, and all the accessories are larger/heavier). The main things you are going to notice are Occusync 2.0 (1080P transmission at all distances), better range, longer flight times, lower pitched noise, and slightly better obstacle avoidance. If you aren't exceeding the Air's range or needing a lot more flight time per battery, you aren't going to be gaining a lot - that part is up to you though. The Air is still a much better design than the Mavic 2's in my opinion - I was hoping the Mavic 2s would look like a big Mavic Air but maybe next time ;)

The Zoom is not a lot but you give up a lot to get it - it is only a 2X zoom (24-48mm). The aperture is unfortunately not constant (and also not adjustable), so when you zoom mid-flight it drops from F2.8 to F3.8 and you need to return home to change your ND filter if you want to maintain your current exposure, which is a huge disadvantage and pain in the a$$ IMHO. If you don't want to swap ND filters, you need to change either the ISO or shutter speed by almost a full stop value which is often not ideal, and will create uneven footage during the exposure change if you zoom mid-shot.

If you already have an Air, I think the M2P offers a lot more incremental value. Exact same 'chassis' as the M2Z but you get a 1" 20MP Sony image sensor, constant & adjustable aperture, and 10-bit H265 DLog-M video capability. It also has another trick up it's sleeve regarding the 'zoom'. It has two 4K shooting modes, one called FOV (28mm equivalent) and one called HQ (40mm equivalent). In effect, this gives you a 1.43X zoom with no loss in quality (it actually gets better as it uses a 1:1 pixel readout). So it's not quite 2X, but you get close, with all the other benefits of the better camera/sensor and none of the disadvantages. If you are also into still photography, the difference is much greater in favor of the M2P as well.

That is just my $0.02 after using all 3 drones and owning 2 of them. As always it depends on your budget and your personal usage goals / expectations.

Reactions: sgrinavi
I have both a Mavic Air and a Mavic 2 Pro. I have spent time with the Zoom as well and flown it many times. The Mavic 2 Pro makes a much better compliment to the Air, in my opinion. You gain a lot more in return for the size/weight sacrifice. If you didn't have the Air already, then it would be more of a toss-up depending on your usage goals.

The M2Z and Air use the same image sensor, and have all the same drawbacks of a tiny 1/2.3" low (12MP) resolution sensor. You aren't really upgrading the image quality in that case, mostly just the done body itself.

The M2Z is definitely a better drone than the Air overall, provided size and weight are a non-issue (it is over twice as big and twice as heavy, doesn't fold up as nicely, and all the accessories are larger/heavier). The main things you are going to notice are Occusync 2.0 (1080P transmission at all distances), better range, longer flight times, lower pitched noise, and slightly better obstacle avoidance. If you aren't exceeding the Air's range or needing a lot more flight time per battery, you aren't going to be gaining a lot - that part is up to you though. The Air is still a much better design than the Mavic 2's in my opinion - I was hoping the Mavic 2s would look like a big Mavic Air but maybe next time ;)

The Zoom is not a lot but you give up a lot to get it - it is only a 2X zoom (24-48mm). The aperture is unfortunately not constant (and also not adjustable), so when you zoom mid-flight it drops from F2.8 to F3.8 and you need to return home to change your ND filter if you want to maintain your current exposure, which is a huge disadvantage and pain in the a$$ IMHO. If you don't want to swap ND filters, you need to change either the ISO or shutter speed by almost a full stop value which is often not ideal, and will create uneven footage during the exposure change if you zoom mid-shot.

If you already have an Air, I think the M2P offers a lot more incremental value. Exact same 'chassis' as the M2Z but you get a 1" 20MP Sony image sensor, constant & adjustable aperture, and 10-bit H265 DLog-M video capability. It also has another trick up it's sleeve regarding the 'zoom'. It has two 4K shooting modes, one called FOV (28mm equivalent) and one called HQ (40mm equivalent). In effect, this gives you a 1.43X zoom with no loss in quality (it actually gets better as it uses a 1:1 pixel readout). So it's not quite 2X, but you get close, with all the other benefits of the better camera/sensor and none of the disadvantages. If you are also into still photography, the difference is much greater in favor of the M2P as well.

That is just my $0.02 after using all 3 drones and owning 2 of them. As always it depends on your budget and your personal usage goals / expectations.
Great info thanks, I was thinking of the M2Z for the zoom feature and longer flight times. However it sound like with the pro it has somewhat of a zoom, can you change this mid flight while recording for example if I wanted to get a closer shot of my kids wake boarding ..I also go to the mountains a lot so was thinking the zoom feature would be good for that as well but did not realize it was only 2x I was thinking it was 4x

Great info thanks, I was thinking of the M2Z for the zoom feature and longer flight times. However it sound like with the pro it has somewhat of a zoom, can you change this mid flight while recording for example if I wanted to get a closer shot of my kids wake boarding ..I also go to the mountains a lot so was thinking the zoom feature would be good for that as well but did not realize it was only 2x I was thinking it was 4x

On the Pro2 you can't change it mid-recording, no - you'll have to stop/start the recording. On the Zoom, changing the optical zoom mid-recording ruins the previous exposure setting, so both have a compromise attached to them but having to return home to change a ND filter just because you zoomed is a giant pain, assuming you want even footage and don't want to change your ISO or shutter speed by almost a full stop to compensate (which can't be done smoothly mid-recording).

On the Zoom, the optical zoom is 2X. DJI does have a "4X zoom mode" but what they don't tell you is it is only available with 1080P output, because it is literally just cropping the 4K frame down to 1080P to give you "lossless" digital zoom. You can do the exact same thing on a Pro (or any drone/camera) if you are OK with a lower output resolution. Cropping 4K to 1080P gives you approximately 200% "zoom", but you are literally just cropping in both cases.

For still images, the Pro has no zoom at all, the Zoom maintains it's 2X optical zoom. The still image quality on the Pro is so much better (and resolution is a lot higher) that you can get away with some cropping to make up some of the difference, but it obviously requires you to do that as a post processing step.

The M2Z has a 2X optical zoom in all resolutions and has an additional 2X digital zoom in 1080p and lower resolutions. That's where the 4X zoom is that you had heard about.

Reactions: Former Member
The M2Z has a 2X optical zoom in all resolutions and has an additional 2X digital zoom in 1080p and lower resolutions. That's where the 4X zoom is that you had heard about.

So I am not trying to be a cinematographer and can't get bothered by the loss of quality that some Precision photographers harp about.

If you're just flying a drone for kicks the zoom command gives you some flexibility. And as far as 1080p vs 4K, who really cares if you're streaming to Facebook or uploading to YouTube? Most people are totally happy with filling that type of resolution online.
For a hobbyist, seems to me you save a bit of money with the M2Z versus the pro. If I decide I'm going to sell my photographic prowess, then maybe I would upgrade to the pro at some future date.

So I am not trying to be a cinematographer and can't get bothered by the loss of quality that some Precision photographers harp about.

If you're just flying a drone for kicks the zoom command gives you some flexibility. And as far as 1080p vs 4K, who really cares if you're streaming to Facebook or uploading to YouTube? Most people are totally happy with filling that type of resolution online.
For a hobbyist, seems to me you save a bit of money with the M2Z versus the pro. If I decide I'm going to sell my photographic prowess, then maybe I would upgrade to the pro at some future date.

Those were my exact thoughts when I purchased the zoom, but the low light capabilities of the zoom are a lacking. Once the sun starts going down you might as well land because you're not going get a crisp shot at any resolution - they're useless. As long as you don't mind that, then have at it.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
Once the sun starts going down you might as well land because you're not going get a crisp shot at any resolution - they're useless. As long as you don't mind that, then have at it.

Agree, the zoom doesn’t very well in the low light. I found the cure was just to over expose or set EV to plus one or greater. Seem to work pretty good then it’s still limited. They claim it’s not the size of your sensor but how you use it but in low light it becomes very challenging.

However in the pitch dark flying in countries that allow you to fly at night... I found the zoom does a pretty good job. I’m sure it’s not as good as the pro but it’s good enough for government work.

Bought a zoom yesterday. Can't fly it in my city but flew it in my room. And amazed how easy it is to control. 1st drone too. Maybe all those years of gaming bf2 bf4 and BF-ONEand selecting the jet to do bombing runs helped. :p

what city are you in? if it is the US they can't prevent you from flying, they can restrict take-off/landing on city-owned land

Currently staying inside SF Bay area. Theres a baseball game so between that and SFO airport, about 80% of the city is no fly. When I have time, will head south of half moon bay. There's so much freedom down there still

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom