DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about getting first drone but nervous about a few things

All of the above advice is right on the mark, although if you have kind parents who could chip in for your birthday, I would recommend that you buy the more expensive Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo, a foldable “H” landing pad, some rotor protectors and use it with either an ipad mini 5 or preferably an iphone 11 Pro, or 12 Pro. Apple processors seem to have better performance, from comments that I have read. My 11 Pro works fine. You will find that you progress fast after about the second week, gaining confidence in both your own abilities and the drone. But start flying out in the countryside first; the fewer distractions and obstacle concerns the better! And if you get panicky, let go of the sticks - it should hover. Count to 10 (or 20!), breathe and go again. And read the DJI Manual, especially their recommended launch procedures, also trying the Return to Home, but be ready to go manual, handy in the slower Tripod Mode (with the F button set to camera up/down, to see the landing pad). After two weeks, come back and share the story! Safe flying. And if you enjoy photography, you are about to take off - literally! Cheers ????????

Reactions: Mavikhan
Great advice by many here. You can’t go wrong with a fly more combo. A lot of guys are starting up now with the Mini 2. I started up with the MA2 combo and simply love it’s features & benefits. My only two cents worth of advice.... Trees & wires are our worst enemies. Good idea also to take out some insurance (DJI or other) for the first 12 months to enjoy the hobby even more with peace of mind. Ohh & if you want a chuckle on YouTube take a look at Mikey on Philly Drone Life! ?

I bought the Mini ONE a month before they released the TWO...dang it...
But it is a fine drone too and I've enjoyed learning how to use it.
I have never let mine get out of sight, except for a couple of heart pounding seconds where I looked down at my monitor, then couldn't find it again....I bought a strobe but that didn't really help much as it is mounted on the top.
I haven't really trusted the 'auto' landing features yet. I made sure the settings would take it high enough to avoid the trees around here but it gets pretty tiny at that altitude so I have just been manually landing it, successfully so far...
I agree on concerns of where you might take it to fly but I can put it in a back pack and if I find a place I want to deploy it then I will pop it out and practice with it. Oh, and remember to make sure that it's recording....I screwed up on that one.
Currently, it's too cold where I live to take a short hike and it's also pretty wet too.
Patience though......I hope that you enjoy your new toy as much as I do.

Great advice by many here. You can’t go wrong with a fly more combo. A lot of guys are starting up now with the Mini 2. I started up with the MA2 combo and simply love it’s features & benefits. My only two cents worth of advice.... Trees & wires are our worst enemies. Good idea also to take out some insurance (DJI or other) for the first 12 months to enjoy the hobby even more with peace of mind. Ohh & if you want a chuckle on YouTube take a look at Mikey on Philly Drone Life! ?
But don’t use him as a tutor ...... ??? unless you have a spare $182K! ?

Come on in....the water is fine!
Your questions are all very valid. I first got my feet wet by going to a local high school on weekends and just fly. I taught myself early to look the area over you are going to fly, find the hight obstacle, (lights, tress, bleachers, etc.) and make sure you are above those.

We hope to see you become a member of our club~

I think you got all good answers.... need multiple batteries for sure and the obsitical avoidance is more a hindrance than a help. I turned it off on my Mavic Pro 2.... the big deal is to just keep your drone in sight, which is required of those of us who are licensed....

I don't know about this kitty hawk thing.... I've been using DJI's unlocking web site to determine if I'm in a restricted area.... which is a lot of where I use mine... the site takes a lot of learning to unlock some 'authorization zones' and is very redundant....

You'll love the mini II.... a mini I was my first drone and I loved it and it is easy and fun to fly once you work thru the setting up and such...not sure what comes with it but I would strongly suggest you down load and print out an actually owners manual. My mini and I think the 2 pro both came with the stupidest instructions ever produced... a very small 2x3 4 page thing that takes a magnifying glass to read and it is just pictures....

Come on in....the water is fine!
Your questions are all very valid. I first got my feet wet by going to a local high school on weekends and just fly. I taught myself early to look the area over you are going to fly, find the hight obstacle, (lights, tress, bleachers, etc.) and make sure you are above those.

We hope to see you become a member of our club~
I actually have a school with a huge field right across the street that has been empty almost all the time on weekends these days. Is it okay to go on school property like that?

Yes...it is in Texas as long as you are not flying over individuals or in a FAA restricted area. You will find people stopping and watching and asking questions. The school police even stop and watch. Drones are very easy to fly if you buy quality.....get out of your head RC aircraft flying difficulties. I had that mindset for a couple of years.

Reactions: philly115
I felt like you a year ago so arranged with a professional drone trainer to have a taster morning. I’m so glad I did! He brought 3 different drones of various sizes and I discovered that I got the hang of it immediately. It was incredibly useful for actually fly them rather than reading or watching videos, and it gave me a better idea of what I needed.
I then bought a cheapie to keep my hand in while I saved for something better and I’ve recently got a secondhand DJI Mavic Pro with platinum batteries that does everything I want it to do. I also did the A2CofC certificate that we now need in the UK to fly a drone of that size.
Actually trying to fly different drones will give you a far better idea of what you need instead of reading other peoples’ opinions.
Good luck

Reactions: hiflyer201
Go for it and buy the Mini. Don't worry about annoying people. If you understand that it's possible you most likely will never do it. I'm far from an expert but I've never had anyone give me a second look. There is a learning curve and even though it straightens out a little it never ends..This would be a good time to start!
. Annoying people. I have read a lot of negative opinions about drones online and I have to say I do get it, i

I think you got all good answers.... need multiple batteries for sure and the obsitical avoidance is more a hindrance than a help. I turned it off on my Mavic Pro 2.... the big deal is to just keep your drone in sight, which is required of those of us who are licensed....

I don't know about this kitty hawk thing.... I've been using DJI's unlocking web site to determine if I'm in a restricted area.... which is a lot of where I use mine... the site takes a lot of learning to unlock some 'authorization zones' and is very redundant....

You'll love the mini II.... a mini I was my first drone and I loved it and it is easy and fun to fly once you work thru the setting up and such...not sure what comes with it but I would strongly suggest you down load and print out an actually owners manual. My mini and I think the 2 pro both came with the stupidest instructions ever produced... a very small 2x3 4 page thing that takes a magnifying glass to read and it is just pictures....
If you are flying in controlled airspace, then you must get authorization to fly there. This is easily done through LAANC using Airmap or Kittyhawk. This is a separate step from unlocking a DJI authorization zone. LAANC makes you legal, unlock lets you fly, legal or not.

This is why I'm a proponent of DJI geofencing, even when applied in G space airports. It has you think and check twice to find out if it's legal and safe, particularly for new fliers not too familiar with the rules.

1. Where to fly. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and can think of a few areas around be I could fly (my back yard, my parents back yard, some other remote places). But overall I am worried I wont be able to find enough cool places to go and may end up not using it.

2. Annoying people. I have read a lot of negative opinions about drones online and I have to say I do get it, if you are chilling on the beach and a bunch of people are flying drones I can see how that can get annoying. How do you guys handle that and have you had any run ins with people getting pissed off or annoyed with you while you are flying?
I've been flying this drone after 5-6 years of flying other aircraft, from Phantoms to Radio Controlled aircraft and helicopters. I find great comfort in the safety features and technlogy that the Mini series (and all DJIs) provide. Like you mentioned, there are a few considerations, and fair questions to ask before plunging into the purchase of one of these.

To answer your questions directly:

1- You can fly in a lot of places, especially when coupled with Apps like AirMap, and other tools that will let you know the restrictions for the location you find yourself at. The main focus here is not "Where can I fly?" but rather "preparing to fly", and finding a suitable location. This means within line of sight, keep your drone away from groups of people, etc. It is a bit of learning -tons of data in youtube- and knowing what NOT to do will open a lot of possibilities for your flights.

2- When I fly -say at a local park if I am practicing, or such- I file a flight-plan with Airmap, keep the PDF of the flight permission available on my phone just in case, and then I keep the rules (altitude, safety, etc). I recently did a really nice fly over around my neighborhood, and I flew over the street, early in the morning (lighting was best suited) and no traffic, and I remained on public property. If someone were to approach me, I'd politely advise of my plan and permissions granted, and furthermore always offer to share my footage with that person (say for instance if they're a neighbor) so that they can see what the drone sees, and what the purpose of the flight was. I've never had an actual incident.

Truth is crazy people can approach you in the street at any time for any reason (it's happened to me without flying a drone than with a drone in the air) and those aren't different than all the crazy people out there. If nothing else, be a good example, be polite, and fly another day.

In short:
- Learn the rules
- Plan your flights
- File a flight-plan
- BE OVERT ABOUT YOUR ACTIVITY (Most flyers get in trouble by trying to push the rules, and then pretend they're not there flying, that they're trying to sneak footage away. After a decade and more of Press photography, I can tell you, make yourself known, and be overt. Visible. Mark your landing area. If you're being safe, 99% of the time you'll get people asking you the good questions and not giving you grief).
- Enjoy!

Best,

Mario

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are about to pull the trigger on a great drone and a great adventure!! I was in your shoes a couple months ago and now having a riot and enjoying my little bird. You can set some of the parameters on the return to home deal, but doubt you would lose connection flying that close to your drone! Read all you can, watch all the videos you can, pull the trigger and get flying... You wont regret it.

I recently picked up the Mavic Air 2 and love it. I got the fly more kit and it is worth it. As far as knowing where to fly legally, it is the pilots responsibility. I highflying recommend looking into Part 107 training. Airspace is a big part of what you learn. You can look for drone airspace videos too. That learning will give you confidence on where you can fly. Check local laws too.

Cool cool. I realize this is probably a bad place to ask this but is it easy to get bored of drones quickly? I'm worried the excitement will fade fast and I wont use it as well.

Cool cool. I realize this is probably a bad place to ask this but is it easy to get bored of drones quickly? I'm worried the excitement will fade fast and I wont use it as well.
I'm thinking that would depend on the person, I got mine last week of November and so far I fly almost everyday. We will have to see what more time does..

I've read this entire string. Great questions and fantastic responses. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. My first and only drone. Make sure once you purchase your Mini 2 you immediately (within hours) sign up (before your first flight) for DJI’s Care More Insurance package. (I think that's what its called). It will cost about $100. This insurance will come in very handy if your drone crashes and needs to be repaired or replaced by DJI. The only caveat to this is flying over water, crashing, and losing your drone. DJI needs your damaged drone in order to send you a new or refurbished one. I've crashed 2-3 times and got a new or refurbished drone each time. Also, there is a drone guy out there who runs a drone repair company called Thunderdrones. I've sent him my damaged drone (broken leg) in the past (when my DJI insurance ran out) and he did a great job repairing it for a fraction of the cost that DJI would have charged. I don't fly often enough to get good enough and confident enough to feel totally comfortable. So I always fly VLOS and for short periods of time. I also have DJI goggles which makes the experience of flying the drone incredible. But the downside of that is you can't fly alone. Someone flys the drone while the other person has the goggles on. When I have time and once Covid is behind us, I'll use this forum to locate other drone enthusiasts in my area to “play” with.

I've read this entire string. Great questions and fantastic responses. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. My first and only drone. Make sure once you purchase your Mini 2 you immediately (within hours) sign up (before your first flight) for DJI’s Care More Insurance package. (I think that's what its called). It will cost about $100. This insurance will come in very handy if your drone crashes and needs to be repaired or replaced by DJI. The only caveat to this is flying over water, crashing, and losing your drone. DJI needs your damaged drone in order to send you a new or refurbished one. I've crashed 2-3 times and got a new or refurbished drone each time. Also, there is a drone guy out there who runs a drone repair company called Thunderdrones. I've sent him my damaged drone (broken leg) in the past (when my DJI insurance ran out) and he did a great job repairing it for a fraction of the cost that DJI would have charged. I don't fly often enough to get good enough and confident enough to feel totally comfortable. So I always fly VLOS and for short periods of time. I also have DJI goggles which makes the experience of flying the drone incredible. But the downside of that is you can't fly alone. Someone flys the drone while the other person has the goggles on. When I have time and once Covid is behind us, I'll use this forum to locate other drone enthusiasts in my area to “play” with.
It’s called Care Refresh and I agree

Reactions: Mjgravina
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc