DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about making a drone filmmaking course.

FlyingFilmmaker

Reactions
Site
flyingfilmmakerpro.com
I’m thinking about possibly creating a drone footage editing/ color grading course including some content on capturing the footage. I’ve seen a lot of people who are quite good at flying their drones but really struggle to learn the filmmaking side of things.

So I’d like to ask here, what are some things that YOU would like to learn in a course like this?

Or what are some of the things you wish someone had taught you when you were learning?

And is this something you might be interested in if I created it?

What software will be used in the course ?
Be difficult to make a detailed tutorial course if the students have different software.
Would this be free, subscription or one off payment or simply something fun to try ?

What software will be used in the course ?
Be difficult to make a detailed tutorial course if the students have different software.
Would this be free, subscription or one off payment or simply something fun to try ?
I would use Davinci Resolve for the course as I feel it's one of the best options and most of what I'll teach can be done in the free version. 90% of what will be in the course will be applicable to any software, since the principles and techniques of editing and colorgrading cut across specific software.

This would be a one time payment, lifetime membership course. I would also be sharing some of the tutorials from it on YT.

Good to see you intend to use free software.
All depends on the cost of the course then.
I assume you have a figurer in mind, be nice to know what that would be.
You may get more response if people know what it would cost them ;)

Reactions: A.O.
I’m thinking about possibly creating a drone footage editing/ color grading course including some content on capturing the footage. I’ve seen a lot of people who are quite good at flying their drones but really struggle to learn the filmmaking side of things.

So I’d like to ask here, what are some things that YOU would like to learn in a course like this?

Or what are some of the things you wish someone had taught you when you were learning?

And is this something you might be interested in if I created it?
I am thinking I would be interested depending on cost as the cyborg says. I fly reasonably well but I can’t edit worth a darn ,I would love to learn!!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Sounds like a good idea. Editing specific to drones is missing in the how-to world. DR is what I use. I know it’s powerful but I struggle working with it. I would enjoy a tutorial showing me how to make a basic video with music and then further tutorials showing me how to progress beyond the basics, and use some of the cool transitions and effects. Why work with more then one track in the timeline for example is a mystery to me. And how to navigate in the timeline. I would love to see how someone who understands DR does it.

Reactions: A.O.
I too would be interested depending on the cost. I found DR to be fairly user friendly but I’m sure there’s tricks to be learned,

Course pricing would be somewhere in the $150-$250 range (lifetime membership).

I've seen so many videos on this forum and elsewhere that are good, but could be made amazing with a little knowledge of editing and color grading. My goal is to create a course that teaches just that.

As @THE CYBORG mentioned, DR is great because you can do so much with the free version, yet the paid version adds very useful features at a reasonable price. I plan to teach both what can be done in the free version as well as how to use the Studio version tools.

Sounds like a good idea. Editing specific to drones is missing in the how-to world. DR is what I use. I know it’s powerful but I struggle working with it. I would enjoy a tutorial showing me how to make a basic video with music and then further tutorials showing me how to progress beyond the basics, and use some of the cool transitions and effects. Why work with more then one track in the timeline for example is a mystery to me. And how to navigate in the timeline. I would love to see how someone who understands DR does it.
I agree about quality drone-specific editing color grading content being a missing area. The main reason for multiple tracks is for more advanced edits (often non drone) where you have let's say an interview with B-roll on top of it or a complex sequence of with many shots. Multiple audio tracks is also used for naration and music as well as layering sound effects to let you here what's going on in the video. I use muliple tracks in my drone edits many times. You can add a transparent logo on top of the footage or put adjustment layer with a color grade over the whole video.

While I'd love to learn more about the editing side of drone flying, I've tried DaVinci Resolve and after reading everyone say that DR is so easy to use I must be the dumb one here because I got so frustrated with it that I got rid of it, even after watching and following along with YouTube videos. I think part may be my computer being slow and lagging. So my questions would be, for that $150-200 lifetime membership, what does one get for that price that they can't get from watching the YouTube videos? Would you just be producing tutorial videos, and what would be the advantage of your videos over the free content that's out there? I'm not slamming your idea at all, just some questions that come to mind.

While I'd love to learn more about the editing side of drone flying, I've tried DaVinci Resolve and after reading everyone say that DR is so easy to use I must be the dumb one here because I got so frustrated with it that I got rid of it, even after watching and following along with YouTube videos. I think part may be my computer being slow and lagging. So my questions would be, for that $150-200 lifetime membership, what does one get for that price that they can't get from watching the YouTube videos? Would you just be producing tutorial videos, and what would be the advantage of your videos over the free content that's out there? I'm not slamming your idea at all, just some questions that come to mind.
I agree with you. DR has a huge learning curve. Try Wondershare Filmora. If you buy (which I did) it's only a one time $60 fee and you get lifetime updates. It's way easier than DR and there are a gazillion youtube videos with how to's and rendering is fast even on a little slower pc's.

DR isn't easy to use unless you have previous experience with pro editing software. And none of it is really easy to use until you learn to use it. ? DR is quite a resource hog though (again, most pro software).

What you get in the course that you can't get from YouTube is a complete step-by-step guide that takes you all the way from shooting the footage to a final product you can post on YT/IG/etc. On YouTube, you have to sort through lots of videos, some useful, some not, and find one to help you with each step of the process.

The advantage of the videos in the course over YT tutorials is that each video has all the "fluff" and extras cut out, and gives you just what you need to know in as compact a form as possible. In other words, you don't have to listen to 5 minutes of talking about onewheeling (although that is great!) to get to 5 minutes of tutorial content. Or have to watch a 15 minute tutorial that covers material that could have been covered in 5 minutes.

I definetly agree that there is a HUGE amount you can learn from YouTube (and there will probably be very little in my course that is not available somewhere online), but the course can save you hours looking for content on YouTube. There are many people who would rather learn from YouTube and trial and error and that's great! But there are also those who would rather have it condesnsed into a compact, organized course and are willing to pay for that. That's who I'm making the course for. ?

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
I agree with you. DR has a huge learning curve. Try Wondershare Filmora. If you buy (which I did) it's only a one time $60 fee and you get lifetime updates. It's way easier than DR and there are a gazillion youtube videos with how to's and rendering is fast even on a little slower pc's.
I wouldn't be surprised if Filmora is a good piece of software, but you'll never be able to get the same results with it as with a pro level software such as Premiere or FCPX or Davinci. Not trying to bash it, but it just doesn't have the same type of tools. If it meets your needs, that's great, but at some point you reach a limit of capabilities (especially in color grading).

Edit: Don't want to sound like I'm trying to discourage anyone from trying software like this! I started in Windows Movie Maker. ?

Reactions: Tufargon
I wouldn't be surprised if Filmora is a good piece of software, but you'll never be able to get the same results with it as with a pro level software such as Premiere or FCPX or Davinci. Not trying to bash it, but it just doesn't have the same type of tools. If it meets your needs, that's great, but at some point you reach a limit of capabilities (especially in color grading).

Edit: Don't want to sound like I'm trying to discourage anyone from trying software like this! I started in Windows Movie Maker. ?
I understand that. The problem with people just learning is that programs like DR can be extremely overwhelming and discourage a lot of people from even moving forward. Not everyone is computer savvy and starting at a lower level is a good thing for some. Yes DR is way more than Filmora but not everyone wants to be a professional film maker. Just being able to get a video put together to show their friends and family is huge.

DR isn't easy to use unless you have previous experience with pro editing software. And none of it is really easy to use until you learn to use it. ? DR is quite a resource hog though (again, most pro software).

What you get in the course that you can't get from YouTube is a complete step-by-step guide that takes you all the way from shooting the footage to a final product you can post on YT/IG/etc. On YouTube, you have to sort through lots of videos, some useful, some not, and find one to help you with each step of the process.

The advantage of the videos in the course over YT tutorials is that each video has all the "fluff" and extras cut out, and gives you just what you need to know in as compact a form as possible. In other words, you don't have to listen to 5 minutes of talking about onewheeling (although that is great!) to get to 5 minutes of tutorial content. Or have to watch a 15 minute tutorial that covers material that could have been covered in 5 minutes.

I definetly agree that there is a HUGE amount you can learn from YouTube (and there will probably be very little in my course that is not available somewhere online), but the course can save you hours looking for content on YouTube. There are many people who would rather learn from YouTube and trial and error and that's great! But there are also those who would rather have it condesnsed into a compact, organized course and are willing to pay for that. That's who I'm making the course for. ?
Thanks...great explanation! Like I said, my computer doesn't really lend itself to use DR but I'm sure there's a demand out there. I found it very frustrating to use personally but with a more powerful/faster computer that frustration level would go way down. Good luck with your venture!

Throw my hat in for interested, although at 200 dollars I'm getting towards the top end of my price range unfortunately.

Things I would like to see:
* Composing the shot with your drone while you're out there conceptually- Nothing super in depth just something to keep in mind while you're looking at your screen.
* Maybe some common piloting errors that stick out horribly when you're editing.
* The "language" of different cuts and transitions. This will again be limited if you're focusing on drone footage but a little bit of an example helps. I found some of the Folding Ideas youtube videos on editing *super* helpful in that capacity to give you an idea.
* The kinds of edits and cuts and transitions that tend to jump out at a viewer opposed to cuts & transitions that feel more natural. I hate jump cuts for example because they stick out when I'm editing but I seem to be the only one who notices them. And sometimes you *want* people to see your edit.
* timing- more of a feel I suspect and part of the art but how to compose multiple short cuts and when a long cut is just too.... long... Which I suspect is actually a really complicated topic depending on what's going on in the video :)
* Color balance & white correction of course, linking in with out in the field stuff
* Finally just like... your thought process. Thinking out loud. Not necessarily what you're doing, although that's important, but *why* you're doing it. I can tell the white balance is off so I'm adjusting that so that it does this, or color balance towards warm colors because this footage I want to convey this kind of mood, etc etc..
* I guess as part of the above things like complimentary color schemes and things like that. There's a video that goes into color choice for color balance and it's super interesting. Example:
this was a great intro to color theory.

Editing is a conversation it seems like the editor is having with the viewer, using the footage as the medium. It's like... editing is the grammar and style to the footage's vocabulary I guess.

Throw my hat in for interested, although at 200 dollars I'm getting towards the top end of my price range unfortunately.

Things I would like to see:
* Composing the shot with your drone while you're out there conceptually- Nothing super in depth just something to keep in mind while you're looking at your screen.
* Maybe some common piloting errors that stick out horribly when you're editing.
* The "language" of different cuts and transitions. This will again be limited if you're focusing on drone footage but a little bit of an example helps. I found some of the Folding Ideas youtube videos on editing *super* helpful in that capacity to give you an idea.
* The kinds of edits and cuts and transitions that tend to jump out at a viewer opposed to cuts & transitions that feel more natural. I hate jump cuts for example because they stick out when I'm editing but I seem to be the only one who notices them. And sometimes you *want* people to see your edit.
* timing- more of a feel I suspect and part of the art but how to compose multiple short cuts and when a long cut is just too.... long... Which I suspect is actually a really complicated topic depending on what's going on in the video :)
* Color balance & white correction of course, linking in with out in the field stuff
* Finally just like... your thought process. Thinking out loud. Not necessarily what you're doing, although that's important, but *why* you're doing it. I can tell the white balance is off so I'm adjusting that so that it does this, or color balance towards warm colors because this footage I want to convey this kind of mood, etc etc..
* I guess as part of the above things like complimentary color schemes and things like that. There's a video that goes into color choice for color balance and it's super interesting. Example:
this was a great intro to color theory.

Editing is a conversation it seems like the editor is having with the viewer, using the footage as the medium. It's like... editing is the grammar and style to the footage's vocabulary I guess.
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely make sure to include those things in the course. And thanks for the video link! I learned a couple things from it. ?

Also, your not the only one who hates jump cuts!! I do to! Almost always better to do speed ramps or put another shot in between. And when is long cut is too long is when it's too... long!!! ? But there definitely are guiding principles of how to keep the edit moving.

I like how you describe editing as having a conversation with the viewer. That's a very accurate way to look at it.

Reactions: flatline42
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely make sure to include those things in the course. And thanks for the video link! I learned a couple things from it. ?

Also, your not the only one who hates jump cuts!! I do to! Almost always better to do speed ramps or put another shot in between. And when is long cut is too long is when it's too... long!!! ? But there definitely are guiding principles of how to keep the edit moving.

I like how you describe editing as having a conversation with the viewer. That's a very accurate way to look at it.
I don't need all of that necessarily to pull the trigger but that was stuff that I was thinking about.

And thanks for the suggestion for speed ramps I hadn't thought of that but it's pretty straightforward! I already am learning lol

But yeah I'm interested. Thank you for putting it out there!

I don't need all of that necessarily to pull the trigger but that was stuff that I was thinking about.

And thanks for the suggestion for speed ramps I hadn't thought of that but it's pretty straightforward! I already am learning lol

But yeah I'm interested. Thank you for putting it out there!
That's actually the reason I put this out: to see what people would like to learn so I can include as much of that as possible in the course. ? And yes, speed ramps are very useful, very often!!

That's actually the reason I put this out: to see what people would like to learn so I can include as much of that as possible in the course. ? And yes, speed ramps are very useful, very often!!
I got a weird question. Is your age correct as posted? I ask because most "youngsters" that I know are out gaming and other such activities. So how about a bit on you for those who might be interested in your offer. How did you get into video editing and photography and this avenue and if not to intrusive, how long you been doing this type of thing?

I personally use Vegas Pro, while it is a bit intensive as far as these things get I gather. I used bracketed youtube videos and searched this site and that to get tutorials on the program and what did what, as well as 3rd party "how to books", took me about a year to get somewhat proficient as I did 30 or 40 vids that gave me basics, then another 50 or so vids that gave me advance techniques.

I think it took me so long as I didn't know the terms of what I needed to search at first so went with "all videos in order", or just didn't want to take things to a more professional from my videos as what clients I had back then didn't need all the bells and whistles of such output. I am retired (For 8 years now) so have been learning more and more week after week. How was it you learned...on your own or some type of high school or vocational school course? Sorry if this is to personal and you certainly don't need to respond to any or some questions, just intrigued. That someone of your age has chosen this I guess, commendable in my eyes. :)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3