DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about making a drone filmmaking course.

I got a weird question. Is your age correct as posted? I ask because most "youngsters" that I know are out gaming and other such activities. So how about a bit on you for those who might be interested in your offer. How did you get into video editing and photography and this avenue and if not to intrusive, how long you been doing this type of thing?

I personally use Vegas Pro, while it is a bit intensive as far as these things get I gather. I used bracketed youtube videos and searched this site and that to get tutorials on the program and what did what, as well as 3rd party "how to books", took me about a year to get somewhat proficient as I did 30 or 40 vids that gave me basics, then another 50 or so vids that gave me advance techniques.

I think it took me so long as I didn't know the terms of what I needed to search at first so went with "all videos in order", or just didn't want to take things to a more professional from my videos as what clients I had back then didn't need all the bells and whistles of such output. I am retired (For 8 years now) so have been learning more and more week after week. How was it you learned...on your own or some type of high school or vocational school course? Sorry if this is to personal and you certainly don't need to respond to any or some questions, just intrigued. That someone of your age has chosen this I guess, commendable in my eyes. :)
Yes, my age is correct as posted (actually almost 18). As far as gaming and such, I've never played a video game in my life. They literally damage your brain (besides wasting your time).

I got into photography about 6 years ago. One day I saw some squirrels eating elm tree buds in a tree in our front yard and pulled out an old mini VHS camcorder and started filming them. I had always been interested in taking photos, but this was sort of a "spark" moment. I knew it was something I wanted to do more of. I got a point-and-shoot camera and then a bridge camera, and got into mostly bird and nature photography. I eventually upgraded to a DSLR and as they say, the rest is history! lol

It was a couple of years later that I started to get into video production. Our church was doing a VBS and I decided to do a highlights video. I really had no clue what I was doing, edited it in a TERRIBLE free software (don't even remember which one), and looking back it wasn't great, but people loved it. A few months later I watched an on location documentary series produced by two teenagers (Light Unshackled), along with the BTS vlogs of making it, and I thought "this is something I really want to get into". A lot of learning followed, including trying multiple not-great free (and not too expensive) editing programs until I found Davinci.

About a year after making my first video I got my first drone (P3A). Kept it for about 2 years, then got the Mavic Pro, then switched to the Air 2 this winter.

As far as how I learned, it's pretty much 100% YouTube videos and a LOT of practice. Also learned from others who are doing filmmaking, including the ones who produced the documentary that sparked my interest. I have no idea how many YT videos on filmmaking/editing I've watched but I think it's safe to say hundreds over the last few years. Never taken any sort of "school" course on it. Highschool vocational courses are ususally a lot of fluff and not that much real world info IMHO.

My family really believes in the practical and useful, and growing up in the middle of nowhere on a small farm probably didn't hurt anything either. ? And being homeschooled let me pursue my interests and passions and invest time into them. I've really been incredibly blessed to be able to learn what I have and have opportunities to practice and "learn by doing".

Anyway, that's a little about me, and how I got into it for anyone who's interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ