DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of 15 inch MacBook Pro and Final Cut X

Ok I know this is not Raid but What do you think about the D2 Lacie Thunderbolt
I run the Lacie Thunderbolts for storage I have two 2tb a 4tb and a new 6tb. My dad is a pro photo guy and has used them for about 15 years now,we have had 0 problems. I will get a raid soon as I want to store stock footage and am looking at a Promise Technology from BnH. I shoot in 4k (DJI) or 4.5 k on a Red Raven

I run the Lacie Thunderbolts for storage I have two 2tb a 4tb and a new 6tb. My dad is a pro photo guy and has used them for about 15 years now,we have had 0 problems. I will get a raid soon as I want to store stock footage and am looking at a Promise Technology from BnH. I shoot in 4k (DJI) or 4.5 k on a Red Raven

Thank you for your reply.
Ok so if I got laCie Thunderbolt for the storage with an iMac 5k 512ssd Do you think I will be able to edit full 4K

Reactions: debric france
Ok so if I got laCie Thunderbolt for the storage with an iMac 5k 512ssd Do you think I will be able to edit full 4K
That might work,if not you can hop it up cheaply. Those thunderbolt 2s hard drives are very fair in price. I have found it easy to spend a few hundred now and then on them. I have also gotten ruthless on deleting any junk!!!!!. You have to label well and get rid of the crap. My dad has the I Mac 5k and loves it. I went with the trashcan two years ago,bought the cheapest 12 core,with the best video card. Then I added later 2tb of internal storage and 64 gb of ram. The cheapest way to get ram is usually later but you have to be able to open it up and add it,if you are even slightly tech you will be fine,its easy. Try what you are looking at,if it feels slow then add more.

Just make sure when you create a new Library on FCPX to modify the storage setting to the LaCie. You do this on the Library Properties pane.

Also when you import your video clips use FCPX to do the import rather than Finder. When you do this it will create a new event in the Library which is on the LaCie. Importing this way is done in the background so you can continue working on other editing tasks. You can also assign metadata and perform transformations and analysis that is very useful for an efficient workflow.

Just make sure when you create a new Library on FCPX to modify the storage setting to the LaCie. You do this on the Library Properties pane.

Also when you import your video clips use FCPX to do the import rather than Finder. When you do this it will create a new event in the Library which is on the LaCie. Importing this way is done in the background so you can continue working on other editing tasks. You can also assign metadata and perform transformations and analysis that is very useful for an efficient workflow.

Thank you for your help,
I will go for FCp X ( I will be beginner with this one)
I have edited with final cut since the 1.2 version to the 7

Thanks all for your help, not sure yet for the hard drive yet.
I ve always use Lacie, once I changed and I bought a GLYPh one ... after a year the disk crashed an I lot a full documentary edited ...;-
I am planning in fact to buy 2 lacie and copy all my materials on the 2,
best solution I think as the RAID in the raid1 is making your disk slower.

To have a little of fun and if you are curious have a look in some shorts I made:( it is not Mavic use)all made with final cut 7 and lot of work

2016 FRENCH BITS AND PIECES /WEB SERIE/DEBRIC DEBROC - YouTube

Hi guys
I was thinking to something:
As Apple is planning to release a new IMac this year what before and instead of waiting for it the solution of RENTING?Unfortunatly
I live in France now and I don t know how it works here.
Any advices?

Hi guys. I resume this post because I've the same setup: MacBook pro and FCPX. But I'm good in using Photoshop CC and photo editing, but I've never edited videos. Any advice about where to find any basic FCPX tutorial and basic video editing?

Thanks a lot!

Hi folks. I guess I don't have much of a question but was just looking for some thoughts on this purchase. I currently do my editing and saving on my iPhone and/or iPad using iMovie because my MacBook Air is 8 years old now and has essentially no space. I certainly am not an an expert by any means either using the Mavic to video and editing but I wanted to learn and I thought I should go big since I'm loving the bird and the editing. I've heard the 15 inch MacBook Pro using Final Cut Pro X works well with creating and rendering 4K video given that it has a quad core processor. And, I've also read that the trend towards quad core processors is where things are heading down the road. So, it won't obsolete in 3-4 years. I guess if I got the bucks I should go ahead and do, right?

I have that exact setup and you can't go wrong. Just be sure you've got 8 but preferably 16GB's of RAM. Get a solid state drive if you can afford it and you'll be golden!

FCP is extremely easy to learn the basics of and once you're comfortable, the advanced features are mind boggling.

Good luck!

Reactions: ZeeKodadii
Hi guys. I resume this post because I've the same setup: MacBook pro and FCPX. But I'm good in using Photoshop CC and photo editing, but I've never edited videos. Any advice about where to find any basic FCPX tutorial and basic video editing?

Thanks a lot!
Hey Alex - Search youtube as you'll find everything you need there. If you do t mind spending a little money, I can send you some pay sites but start out with YouTube. If you run into difficulty or can't find what you're looking for, let me know.

Reactions: Alex S.
If you use a NAS I would recommend a NFS mount for FCPX it gives you much better performance than AFS and/or CIFS (which is performance broken in MasOS right now). Also FCPX will work libraries better with NFS mounts.

I have a iMac5k which is my home edit system and works great. My mobile system is a 15" MBP 2015 model....does that job well for in the field just fine.

Hey Alex - Search youtube as you'll find everything you need there. If you do t mind spending a little money, I can send you some pay sites but start out with YouTube. If you run into difficulty or can't find what you're looking for, let me know.

Thank you hookalakupua!

I'm watching something on youtube :) . However, if you don't mind sending me some pay sites, I'd really appreciate!

Thanks again

Im looking at getting a new MBP. Do I need to get the 2gb graphics or 4gb for editing the 4k with the Mavic?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure