DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

thinking of buying mavic air 2 but what kind of range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got out 5211m but turned back due to battery. That’s up a hill with perfect line of sight and with potential interference from broadcasting tower near me. View attachment 109424
It’s also across a major 4-lane road, which by any standards is a reckless (and most probably illegal) flight, irrespective of the lack of VLOS.
This is why serious and professional pilots are having a hard time with regulation.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
It’s also across a major 4-lane road, which by any standards is a reckless (and most probably illegal) flight, irrespective of the lack of VLOS.
This is why serious and professional pilots are having a hard time with regulation.
I fully accept it was most likely stupid to do but it was only going across the road for no more then 5 seconds and the rest of the flight path was over fields and far away from houses. It says 200m hight but it was more like 300m. There was no aircraft nearby and I made sure once the battery got too low for a full flight back plus 25% to bring it back. It never dropped connection wise either.

I fully accept it was most likely stupid to do but it was only going across the road for no more then 5 seconds and the rest of the flight path was over fields and far away from houses. It says 200m hight but it was more like 300m. There was no aircraft nearby and I made sure once the battery got too low for a full flight back plus 25% to bring it back. It never dropped connection wise either.
More than that, at 5211m it was also illegal. Might be good to read the ANO again and consider how "safely" would be interpreted by the CAA or a court.

Reactions: SkyeHigh

And posting on a public site admitting irresponsible behaviour leaves plenty of evidence for authorities to follow up on when required.

Reactions: ajkm
I got out 5211m but turned back due to battery. That’s up a hill with perfect line of sight and with potential interference from broadcasting tower near me.
I fly in an area with high interference from several sources, so the MA2 loses the connection long before the battery gets low. About 2.5km. To get 5.2km you must have been in an area reasonably free from interference. Looks like most of the flight was over a forest and near golf courses.

You can apparently see a Mavic-sized drone (that’s 12”x9.5”) at 3.25 miles distance with your unaided eyes

The accepted angular resolution of the human eye is some 0.02° (or 0.3m) at 1000m. I’ll leave you to do the maths for a distance of 5200m.

This flight might have been *radio* line of sight, but, of course, that’s not what is referred to in any country’s regulations, including the UK.

What is required for legal flight is *visual* line of sight, and there is absolutely no way any human eye can see any drone at over 3 miles/5km.

This flight was not, as you describe it, “stupid”, it was reckless beyond belief - you wouldn’t even have had a visual connection with the drone as it flew over a four-lane major A road (and I know the area quite well).

Reactions: BigAl07
thinking of buying mavic air 2, but just wondering if it would be a good move i live in the uk and so was just wondering what others who live in the uk are getting distance wise, being CE mode, i know all about line of sight etc so dont need answers on that, i did have a mavic air before that and out in the country comfortably got 1.5 miles with the FCC hack, so just asking really because having done some research it seems that FCC hack is not possible with an android phone which i would be using. and what sort of range in suburbia. i was getting around 1500 metres before in .8ghz before jerky video.
I’m sorry but seeing your thread has went off topic and see no way
of getting it back on track it's closed.

CLOSED

Reactions: ajkm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911