DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of selling my Mavic 2 Zoom

I have NEVER had the problem that you guys are talking about, I actually feel left out. But I have always been extremely gentle when pushing or pulling usb cords. 1st time I ever heard about there being a problem with these type of connections was here, so now I take extreme caution when working with these plugs. I ain’t smarts enough to fix er up if I done brakes er. It would have to go back to DJI for several weeks just over a plug. Thank “YOU PEOPLE” for bringing it up and warning the rest of us
Again sorry OP
Is much on it in several threads Smalls here's one Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

I think the micro-USB metal housing on the controller is designed incorrectly. All micro-USB connections should have a flat side which immediately tells you the correct orientation when plugging in a cable. The micro-USB port on the controller has no flat side, sort of like a Type C connection (only smaller), which can lead to not knowing the correct orientation and possibly forcing the cable in the wrong way and causing some damage to the port.

I think the micro-USB metal housing on the controller is designed incorrectly. All micro-USB connections should have a flat side which immediately tells you the correct orientation when plugging in a cable. The micro-USB port on the controller has no flat side, sort of like a Type C connection (only smaller), which can lead to not knowing the correct orientation and possibly forcing the cable in the wrong way and causing some damage to the port.

Is the connection on the controller micro USB?

It’s a Micro A connection, as opposed to the more common Micro B (which has a tapered rather than square design. So as we now have it, there are at least 4 different USB connections DJI includes, at least on the Air (and I think the M2 as well): on the controller, standard and USB A and Micro A and B, and on the aircraft, USB C. I know there are host/divide issues as a reason for using Micro A, but USB-C all around would resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
1Buddyc, when you are flying do you keep that magnet usb in and attach cables to fly? I’m trying to find out if I buy them like you did can I fly with them in? Are they compatible with DJI? I’m not explaining it correctly I know, you know how some apple cords don’t work cuz they are junk or they are missing some super secret part. Sorry for all the bla bla bla
Just a 'Be careful' here @Smalls ... I use the magnetic micro-USB tip in the side port of my RC controller, ONLY to charge it. I would not suggest you use it as a flying data connection for Go4, simply because the main part of the USB cable that connects to the tip, is VERY magnetic. Putting that on the side of your controller can make your Mavic unstable, due to the fact that the controller sticks themselves use some magnetic sensor effect to provide the control inputs to the drone. I did try this once, and found my Mav' Pro wanted to slowly descend all the time ...
Use the magnetic USB tip to charge the controller - YES - but use a separate USB-A type cable from the port in the base of the controller, to connect to your phone or tablet for the Go4 connection. This is my controller set up ...

IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

It’s a Micro A connection, as opposed to the more common Micro B (which has a tapered rather than square design. So as we now have it, there are at least 4 different USB connections DJI includes, at least on the Air (and I think the M2 as well): on the controller, standard and USB A and Micro A and B, and on the aircraft, USB C. I know there are host/divide issues as a reason for using Micro A, but USB-C all around would resolve the issue.
Except, then we'd all be asking why DJI use a non-standard USB cable? ... :p The USB standards have an 'A' type at the end that provides data for a client, and a 'B' type at the client/device end. USB cables having an 'A' type (or a 'B' type) connector at both ends are rare and therefore - expensive. DJI have chosen the correct micro-USB 'A' standard on the side of the controller when you consider it's 'primary' job of making a data connection to Go4 running on the attached mobile device - but unfortunately, when you look at the secondary role of that connector, it's then acting like it's a 'B' end. If DJI wanted to be 100% correct, then they should have had two micro-USB connectors [A & B] on the controller - but that too would have raised some confusion and issues!

Except, then we'd all be asking why DJI use a non-standard USB cable? ... :p The USB standards have an 'A' type at the end that provides data for a client, and a 'B' type at the client/device end. USB cables having an 'A' type (or a 'B' type) connector at both ends are rare and therefore - expensive. DJI have chosen the correct micro-USB 'A' standard on the side of the controller when you consider it's 'primary' job of making a data connection to Go4 running on the attached mobile device - but unfortunately, when you look at the secondary role of that connector, it's then acting like it's a 'B' end. If DJI wanted to be 100% correct, then they should have had two micro-USB connectors [A & B] on the controller - but that too would have raised some confusion and issues!
I sort of get that, but they ALREADY use USB C on aircraft (which is basically standard now, anyway) so why not use that on the controller, rather than using 3 different ones as they do.

I was about to respond to your prior post re: magnetic interference. Isn’t this potentially an issue regardless, because the plug end stays inside the controller (otherwise that seems to defeat the point). Or is it because the magnet itself is in the cord end vs. the plug end? Just curious, really, as I just ordered a set of those and a short Anker cord to start using the bottom data connection.

USB-C is becoming standard for the client/device end - sure ... However, on the 'Data' end of that cable, you'll have a USB-A [rectangular] type plug. You won't find a USB-C to USB-C cable as a common item.

The plug end [tip] of the usb 'NetDot' connector is just metal. It becomes 'slightly' magnetic with use, but as you rightly say, the magnet is in the cord-end. So leaving the micro-USB tip in the side of the controller has no effect on the controller [while the tip is disconnected from the cable]. The only thing that I have to be a bit careful about, is if you pull the magnetic part directly back off the tip, the micro-USB A socket doesn't hold the tip very tightly and it will just pull the whole lot out as though it was a standard micro-USB cable. Disconnect the cable from the tip by gently tipping the magnetic body sideways and the two will part quite happily and leave the tip in place. It is in tight enough that I don't need to worry about it falling out while I'm flying though!
NetDot.jpg

Reactions: Maviac
USB-C is becoming standard for the client/device end - sure ... However, on the 'Data' end of that cable, you'll have a USB-A [rectangular] type plug. You won't find a USB-C to USB-C cable as a common item.

The plug end [tip] of the usb 'NetDot' connector is just metal. It becomes 'slightly' magnetic with use, but as you rightly say, the magnet is in the cord-end. So leaving the micro-USB tip in the side of the controller has no effect on the controller [while the tip is disconnected from the cable]. The only thing that I have to be a bit careful about, is if you pull the magnetic part directly back off the tip, the micro-USB A socket doesn't hold the tip very tightly and it will just pull the whole lot out as though it was a standard micro-USB cable. Disconnect the cable from the tip by gently tipping the magnetic body sideways and the two will part quite happily and leave the tip in place. It is in tight enough that I don't need to worry about it falling out while I'm flying though!
View attachment 64748

Thanks for the info on the magnetic cables. As far as USB-C, is that really true (note - I’m not really arguing with you here, just trying to understand DJI’s engineering)? All Macs come with USB-C as a host-end connection, and when I was looking at new laptops recently virtually every Windows one did too (except for the Surface Pro I was especially looking at). And there are plenty of lightning, USB-A, and other combinations of USB-C cords. I assume that there is some cost or engineering reason DJI did it this way, but I’ve never seen a device (except for old computers that had tons of connections for peripherals) that had 4 different types of connections when a single standard would serve the same purpose.

Also, sorry for dragging this even further off topic.

Apologies for that - you are correct in that - especially Mac's - the USB-C standard is on the computer as an attachment point ... In the case of Mac's - its called a 'Thunderbolt' port.

There must be something that's a little different about the micro-USB A port on the side of the controller, because if you just leave the short DJI supplied adapter plug in that socket and try to use the USB-A data socket in the base of the controller, Go4 won't connect! I was under the impression that USB was a 'Bus' based tech' and therefore, it should not matter if you have two plugs connected - especially if one of them is 'open' ...

I'm speculating on the reasoning behind DJI's decision, but maybe they just thought that since a micro-USB A or B plug can fit a micro-USB A socket - it was the best choice ... They just never got to the 'stupid' part of the design in the pre-launch reviews, that makes it vulnerable if you don't tell people to put the plug in the right way round!

This may seem a little bit of a stupid question, but if I'm using a tablet, am I OK to use the USB from the base of the controller to the USB C on the tablet?

No problem with doing it - I do it too. Just have to unplug the USB connection on the side of the controller or the bottom one gets ignored (I've completely removed it).

No problem with doing it - I do it too. Just have to unplug the USB connection on the side of the controller or the bottom one gets ignored (I've completely removed it).

That's where I've been going wrong. Left the side one in and wondered why I had issues...

I'm thinking of selling my Zoom as I have a Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller on order.
My Zoom was purchased by me from a Member here, still in the unopened box. I had my Son bind it to my iPad for me and update the firmware and he never flew it. I never got around to flying it either. It's never been flown.
It comes with all the items that comes in a new Kit with most of them still in the unopened wrapping. I also have some extras I could sell too, that I never used such as Prop Holders, Filters, Extended Legs and a really nice Pgytech Hard Case. I also intalled the Magnetic Charge Port on the Controller so that the flimsy Charge Port could never be damaged when charging the Controller itself.
If you might be interested in all or part, please contact me via Conversations and we can discuss it. And like I said, I'm only thinking about selling it for now unless someone can make me an offer I cant refuse. Thanks, Buddy in Texas.
Are you interested in selling the filters on their own? I was looking at getting a polarized filter for an upcoming vacation but I would take a set for the right price. Let me know!

I ain’t smarts enough to fix er up if I done brakes er. It would have to go back to DJI for several weeks just over a plug. Thank “YOU PEOPLE” for bringing it up and warning the rest of us
I think Thunder mentioned a $60 to $80 cost to repair the controller if the MicroUSB port gets mangled. Other vendors will replace it with a MicroUSB-B slot, not the square "A" model one that causes problems because you can try and jam the connector in upside down.

My Mavic 2 Zoom came with a defective MicroUSB-A to USB-C adapter. It will not plug in - at all. I had to buy a 90º angle adapter on Amazon to cover it. 6" is fine, and now my Google Pixel connects to the controller via the Data port on the bottom instead of the charging port on the side.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys