DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is why I always carry my Mavic 2 with me.....

hactick

Reactions
I drive by this spot several times a week. Every day this spot is completely socked in fog or blowing wind at 35+ mph. Often its both windy and foggy. Being the furthest western spot in the state means all the weather comes here first and then splits North or South. This morning I was on my way to town and I happened upon the cape on a perfectly clear and still moment. I wasn't planning on flying, but I'm glad I always pack my drone "just in case".

Thanks, man. I enjoyed that....the music, too.

Reactions: hactick
Beautiful country,.. good idea on keeping the drone with you!! Thx

Thanks, that’s shot with an ND16 filter. I had to compromise between being too dark heading away from the sun and too bright heading towards the sun.
I wonder when DJI is going to come out with onboard switchable filters. No landing required..

Nicely done and interesting to see that part of the country. The cows seemed to be interested in the drone. I liked the music. It was different than the music people normally use. Thanks for sharing.

The music made me homicidal. So I killed it with the MUTE button. Nice footage though.
I drive by this spot several times a week. Every day this spot is completely socked in fog or blowing wind at 35+ mph. Often its both windy and foggy. Being the furthest western spot in the state means all the weather comes here first and then splits North or South. This morning I was on my way to town and I happened upon the cape on a perfectly clear and still moment. I wasn't planning on flying, but I'm glad I always pack my drone "just in case".
Well done...great video! The sound track, however, doesn't seem to fit the visuals. Had to turn it off.

Reactions: pablotwa
So I have a lot of video that I'm putting together from landscape. Where do you all get your music?

I use a couple of places:

Both are very reasonable and have interesting selections.

Reactions: nemonlizzy
How about the Mormon Tabernacle choir “the hills are alive with the sound of music?” :)

A nice instrumental would also be nice....

Reactions: nemonlizzy
Nice shots.

Maybe Eric has something better for the sound:

Very nice, awesome location and great camera/drone work.

One suggestion - the shot starting at 0:59 is obviously sped up - you can tell both by the cows movements and then by the speed of the waves crashing in the distance. I personally try to avoid this effect when possible as I find it distracting.

(Another effect which I am guilty of is reversing footage containing crashing waves - my wife said it made her very uneasy watching the waves crash in reverse!)

An editing technique that may work well - let's say you have a 1min shot that you want to condense down in time but it is not suitable to speed up for whatever reason:

1. Play 10 sec at normal speed
2. Cut out the next 5 sec
3. Play the next 10 sec at normal speed
4. Cut out the next 5 sec

and so on - this reduces the shot length by 1/3. You can put in quick transitions at the cuts or just leave them raw. I find that the cut points also give an opportunity to sync to the beat of some music.

A variant on the above is to replace #3 with "Play the next 30 seconds at 3x", then another cut at 4, and 10 sec at normal speed. This way you can show the viewer the "realistic" view at normal speed, and then also show them an obviously exaggerated speedup of the same. For me I like the effect.

Very nice, awesome location and great camera/drone work.

One suggestion - the shot starting at 0:59 is obviously sped up - you can tell both by the cows movements and then by the speed of the waves crashing in the distance. I personally try to avoid this effect when possible as I find it distracting.

(Another effect which I am guilty of is reversing footage containing crashing waves - my wife said it made her very uneasy watching the waves crash in reverse!)

An editing technique that may work well - let's say you have a 1min shot that you want to condense down in time but it is not suitable to speed up for whatever reason:

1. Play 10 sec at normal speed
2. Cut out the next 5 sec
3. Play the next 10 sec at normal speed
4. Cut out the next 5 sec

and so on - this reduces the shot length by 1/3. You can put in quick transitions at the cuts or just leave them raw. I find that the cut points also give an opportunity to sync to the beat of some music.

A variant on the above is to replace #3 with "Play the next 30 seconds at 3x", then another cut at 4, and 10 sec at normal speed. This way you can show the viewer the "realistic" view at normal speed, and then also show them an obviously exaggerated speedup of the same. For me I like the effect.

Thanks for the review. I agonized over that clip because it was 1:30 minutes and I knew I had to shave off the time. I should have done a speed ramp or several cuts like you suggested.
I also agree that filming at the ocean always limits what you can do in post. The waves only let you play video forward and at natural speed.

Well done...great video! The sound track, however, doesn't seem to fit the visuals. Had to turn it off.

Adding the soundtrack is my least favorite part of this whole process. It makes such a huge influence on the video and it’s the only part I don’t really have any creative control over other than picking from a list of free music.
I’m also bored with typical drone video soundtracks. Overly dramatic instrumentals, ect..

Adding the soundtrack is my least favorite part of this whole process. It makes such a huge influence on the video and it’s the only part I don’t really have any creative control over other than picking from a list of free music.
I’m also bored with typical drone video soundtracks. Overly dramatic instrumentals, ect..

I hear you regarding soundtracks, but it is such an important part of a video. I also love creative alternatives to the standard way of making scenic drone videos. I think the use of ambient sounds mixed in with music is one of the best ways to do it. Perhaps try looking around and find environmental sounds to add to it. And there are so many other creative ways to do it as well- that’s the beauty of it!

I posted these examples of unique ways to use drones for music videos, some didnt like the music, but its cultural and important for the intended audience living in a once Soviet occupied country now struggling to find itself as a democracy. And for those westerners with a more eclectic musical taste, it’s capturing.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird