DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This should be interesting. . . first everything.

Thanks so much! I’m really excited.

The only thing I’m still concerned about is flying over water. I intend to do the majority of my flying and filming over the ocean, filming my family surfing. I feel much more confident with Occusync (MPP), than with wi-fi (Air), but I still wonder what the odds are of a catastrophic failure over the ocean.
Do not practise over the ocean. Careful with the sand grains and engines. Fly for several days prior to ocean, if there is a cat failure it would probably occur sooner than later. Seat the battery well in the bird. Do not leave the ground until GPS lock and Home Point HP set. You really want the assistance of P-mode in a windy environment, no ATTI. That was my brain dump, after your post.

Reactions: Hossinn
We don't all live out in the middle of nowhere, firmware issues are a fact, just look on YouTube and you'll see. :)
But they are not an issue for every owner, so there is really no need for someone to take a new MPP out of the box and start juggling software components on essentially a flying computer, with no real reason. If a rare instance of an issue then hack away. My opinion, since I have never had an issue with a FW update.

Reactions: survivor711
But they are not an issue for every owner, so there is really no need for someone to take a new MPP out of the box and start juggling software components on essentially a flying computer, with no real reason. If a rare instance of an issue then hack away. My opinion, since I have never had an issue with a FW update.

Thanks, db. I'm not very good at juggling, especially computer stuff. This debate on firmware update/ don't update/ rollback/ hack or whatever, may go on forever. There's no way I'm going to try to hack or modify anything, I guess I'm in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' crowd.

It seems like there are about as many firmware update disaster stories as there are success stories on this forum. (I wonder if there is a poll?) I have no intention of trying to persuade for or against it, in this instance I was just poking at oj.

Some of previous posts where I may have mentioned it were merely a ploy to maybe trigger more debate about the subject. I'm still learning about these things and all the healthy debate is a learning experience and is greatly appreciated.

I believe you. But what we consider issues might differ.
  1. Did you create a user account with DJI?
  2. Has your phone app ever sent information to DJI?
  3. Have you ever flown up a steep slope, staying under 400 AGL but higher than 500 meters above your launch elevation?
  4. Do you get warnings of any kind related to your geographical location?
  5. Have you ever been required to have an internet connection for any aspect of flying your Mavic?
If the answer to any of these is "yes" (or "no" for #3 I suppose) then those are issues in my book.

I have no interest in convincing anyone of my opinions on the matter; but I do want people to understand why someone might want to preemptively roll back firmware/app on a brand new Mavic. I fully understand why one would not want to mess with the stuff, or at least try it "stock" for a while first. In fact that's exactly what I did with my current phone after I read all up on how to root it; I gave it a try as is and decided I liked everything just fine*. If we can at least understand each others' point of view, we're doing better than the rest of the general population!!

* Off topic: I do, however, reject phone updates since I'm happy with how everything is right now. The manufacturer has pushed some updates to their custom desktop and apps that my wife doesn't like. A little vindication for my crotchety ways, at least in my own household. :p

Do not practise over the ocean. Careful with the sand grains and engines. Fly for several days prior to ocean, if there is a cat failure it would probably occur sooner than later. Seat the battery well in the bird. Do not leave the ground until GPS lock and Home Point HP set. You really want the assistance of P-mode in a windy environment, no ATTI. That was my brain dump, after your post.

Thanks very much. All very helpful recommendations.

Ah-h-h, another crash victim waiting to happen and then he will ask, "Why?" Because you didn't practice, practice, practice before trying aggressive flights. Can't wait to read the next posting about how you lost your drone. Read the postings on this web site. You will see time after time after time how beginners think they know what they are doing and they wreck or lose their drone before they get 10 flights under their belt. I don't wish you ill but you are setting yourself up for a disaster.

I wish I had my first few flights to do all over again, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. After several crashes and two DJI refresh cases, I can see that flying only outside, not in the kitchen LOL,, and in beginner mode in an open area would have been my choice. But hey, fire that mother up and see what she will do hehe.... not!!!

Last but not least, it would help to have something better than frozen, dirty, flat, Minnesota February to look at!
I hear you. After watching stunning videos of mountain grandeur, pristine beaches and sparkling city lights, the most disappointing part of my first several flights was realizing just how brown, boring and ugly my neighborhood is this time of year.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Thanks so much! I’m really excited.

The only thing I’m still concerned about is flying over water. I intend to do the majority of my flying and filming over the ocean, filming my family surfing. I feel much more confident with Occusync (MPP), than with wi-fi (Air), but I still wonder what the odds are of a catastrophic failure over the ocean.
I do it all the time but get a gettrback and put it on just in case.

Reactions: survivor711
So many guys on YT watch their new drone dissapear because they know so little about it. Just one piece of advice for you.
When you do you're first distance flight ascertain which way the wind is blowing and how strong it is AND FLY UPWIND NOT DOWNWIND.
(Also the wind is stronger the higher you fly and could be blowing from a different direction. Look at trees moving, smoke, wind on water. If none of these available pls know that Cows always stand with their backside to the wind if it is strong-ish, this is from the Glider Pilots Guide.)

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Place your bets, folks!

I'm about to go for my first test flight. Never owned or flown a drone before. Got a MPP yesterday and spent all night inserting internal SD card, rolling back firmware and adjusting flight control parameters, then re-flashing current firmware, updating RC firmware, and mixing and installing a custom blend GO app. If it all works it will be a miracle.

It's 17 degrees F. Wish me luck! Will update. . .o_O

I thought it’s not possible to roll back firmware on a Platinum due to lack of internal SD slot? Plus earlier firmwares like the highly loved and customisable 0.700 don’t work well on a Platinum as they don’t cater for the new ESC Controllers of the quiet props?

Hope you will share what and how you done it on your MPP.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
The internal flight simulator ,YouTube video's and practice-practice-practice in a controlled area eg parking lot sport field etc.

Good luck with your first flight!
I am sorry you fell victim to the firmware rollback club, before you found out if it was needed or not.
You understand this is a reason to get warranty repairs denied, Who needs warranty anyway right? :D
He can always go back! Don't be sippin on that haterade now:D

I thought it’s not possible to roll back firmware on a Platinum due to lack of internal SD slot? Plus earlier firmwares like the highly loved and customisable 0.700 don’t work well on a Platinum as they don’t cater for the new ESC Controllers of the quiet props?

Hope you will share what and how you done it on your MPP.
It's possible but not allowed to be talked about here.... do some google research young grasshopper;)

View attachment 31329

here is a preflight checklist i use as wallpaper on my ipad to get sorted before flying, created by one of the users here a while back. hope it helps
Wow....now thats a little much...haha good for you though I guess you can never be too safe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser