DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THOUGHTS?? Cold Email w/ Previously Recorded Video

Good for you.

Reference my list above. Don't let them make you pitch the marketing department. That is a losing pitch. There's no carrot there. Appeal to engineers, architects and construction foreman regarding the thousands that will be saved the first time your footage spots a construction mistake. Let them know that that drone in the air every other week reminds subcontractors that they had better be on their best behavior and their work had better be accurate.

Then appeal to their legal department. Remind them that aerial evidence is their best litigation tool against subcontractors. No contractor gets away with anything as long as that drone flies every other week.

Then push the convenience of doing everything virtually. They don't have to lift a finger. You send a link to the video every other week along with an invoice to their accounting department. I've been using Google Drive for years. I have purchased 100GB which costs a mere $20/year (not a typo). Every other cloud service is an order of magnitude more expensive.

If you want, I will send you a link to my deliverables in a private message. These will be for YOUR EYES ONLY so you can get an idea of a time-tested shooting strategy. The POI shot is fully automated. The strafe is partially automated (waypoints only). I manually operate the camera.

Hit me up in PM if you want a link to that footage. The footage will be the downres'd to 1080p. That is what I deliver to my clients. In 8 years I had the client request the full 4K footage one time. Due to the large file size, I made them come to my house with a thumb drive to get it. This dissuades them from asking for 4K footage on a whim.

OR...

You can use this link in your presentation, which is in the public domain. Keep in mind that aerial footage is sped up 4x for presentation.

FWIW, I offer a 100% reshoot guarantee. But my emails are terse. I don't prod them for their opinion. I just send them the link to the footage and be done with it. If you ask them for their opinion, you open Pandora's Box for a litany of criticism, which leads to endless changes as differing opinions pour in. In 8 years I've never asked a client for their opinion. I provide professional video that shows every angle of every building in every stage of construction.

INSIST ON A SINGLE Point Of Contact (POC). I know this isn't politically correct, but insist on a man. I've had nothing with bad luck with women. They're emotional and have "opinions." LOTS of opinions. Blame it on me if you wish. My communication style is succinct and to the point. NOT flowery. I am NOT a politician. I've been dealing with the same guy for 8 years. I have his number in my speed dial. In 8 years I've called him maybe a half dozen times. I don't deal with anybody else.

I don't mind Cc:'ing others in the emails, but all emails go do him as the primary.

Good luck.

D
There is much I agree with in this post. And some, not so much.

Marketing departments are just another customer. They may want something different than you’re prepared to create. On the other hand, construction progress, inspections, etc. are not for every pilot either. We don’t have to all be the same. There are multiple markets for our work.

“… insist on a man point of contact…”???

Politically correct I don’t care about. Shooting yourself in the foot I do care about. Learn to work with people who aren’t like you! It’s just another skill, have some respect for people. Sheesh.

There is much I agree with in this post. And some, not so much.

Marketing departments are just another customer. They may want something different than you’re prepared to create.
I guess I will rationalize the logic for you.

"Marketing material" is a one time shot. It also requires editing skills and tools to edit a final marketing video. Assuming the pilot even has these tools and skills, it's a one time invoice. You'll be lucky to get $3K out of it.

Conversely, shooting video for FORENSICS is a RESIDUAL income that comes in every two weeks. Most construction projects last 18 months or more. The good news is that you can STILL do the former if the marketing department reaches out to you. I have made 2 promotional construction videos @ $2K a pop because I already had the footage and had already charged the client for the footage. Appealing to Marketing ONLY is VERY short-sighted and a lot more work. Plus, you have to be a salesman and all that that entails. Phone calls. Emails. Text messages and on and on and on. I'm a UAV pilot. I'm not a "producer" or a "salesman." If you are and enjoy that kind of thing, kudos to you.

On the other hand, construction progress, inspections, etc. are not for every pilot either. We don’t have to all be the same. There are multiple markets for our work.
I suggest you read the OP. Slowly.
1680744623039.png

“… insist on a man point of contact…”???

Politically correct I don’t care about. Shooting yourself in the foot I do care about.
Well...if that ever happens I'll be sure to let you know.

Learn to work with people who aren’t like you!
Like women? NAAAAAAAAA. Been there. Done that. Got the shirt. Communicating with them using a terse style with technical jargon has been so bad that I would honestly rather not take the work than to deal with a female. But hey...you sound like a feminist so maybe you speak their language. I do not. I'm a "mansplainer" by nature. Communicating with men is quick, easy and to the point. ESPECIALLY in the construction industry. That has been my PROFOUND experience. YMMV.

It’s just another skill, have some respect for people. Sheesh.
Not wanting to communicate with women has nothing to do with respect. A good argument could be made that BECAUSE I respect women, I don't wish to subject them to my terse, succinct, logical mansplaining.

Strawman much?

D

Well, without going into song and verse I did read the original post, and also commented on how to initially reach out to a prospective client. It seems the OP did reach out to the prospect via phone, and did not just drop unsolicited email on them. I’m glad it has worked out so far, and hope for their continued success. There’s been a lot of good advice on selling in this thread.

I’m afraid you’ve not convinced me of anything. That’s OK. I’ll stand pat with what I did write. For what it’s worth, I advise that readers *not* take all of @Donnie Frank’s advice, but I don’t doubt that it makes sense to some people. It doesn’t make much sense to me; to each their own.

To each their own also means that clients decide how they buy. Frankly, ruling out selling to marketing departments, or insisting that I know better than the client who they should employ for different tasks doesn’t seem very productive or appropriate at all. If you want to walk away from marketing work or working with women that’s your business, but it seems poor advice to someone starting out. That’s walking away from potentially significant opportunities.

You only get one reputation in a particular market. Damage it badly enough and you’ll have to change careers or move to another area.

Well, without going into song and verse I did read the original post, and also commented on how to initially reach out to a prospective client. It seems the OP did reach out to the prospect via phone, and did not just drop unsolicited email on them. I’m glad it has worked out so far, and hope for their continued success. There’s been a lot of good advice on selling in this thread.

I’m afraid you’ve not convinced me of anything. That’s OK. I’ll stand pat with what I did write. For what it’s worth, I advise that readers *not* take all of @Donnie Frank’s advice, but I don’t doubt that it makes sense to some people. It doesn’t make much sense to me; to each their own.

To each their own also means that clients decide how they buy. Frankly, ruling out selling to marketing departments, or insisting that I know better than the client who they should employ for different tasks doesn’t seem very productive or appropriate at all. If you want to walk away from marketing work or working with women that’s your business, but it seems poor advice to someone starting out. That’s walking away from potentially significant opportunities.

You only get one reputation in a particular market. Damage it badly enough and you’ll have to change careers or move to another area.
My ONLY argument was that shooting construction for forensics is residual, ongoing income. Marketing is not. Which, of course, you did not address. I don't blame you. Best to leave out the good bits of any counter-argument. Still looking for the silver lining in your comments. You gave advice. I gave strategy. And then reconciled that strategy. And then backed it up with 8 years of experience USING that strategy. But hey...you do you.

To the OP: If you want one sale, follow this guy. Chase the skirts in marketing. If you want residual income you can count on for roughly 18 months *per contract,* follow my strategy. That's really all it boils down to.

Best of luck to both of you.

D

My ONLY argument was that shooting construction for forensics is residual, ongoing income. Marketing is not. Which, of course, you did not address….
There were a few arguments you shared.

On marketing: Companies engage in brand marketing. New developments are marketed. Projects are marketed. Products are marketed. Construction, progress, inspection are all important markets. So is marketing. For decades a significant part of my livelihood was tied to *recurring* marketing work that depended on keeping key client relationships going. Maybe these aren’t the marketing departments you’ve encountered, but it’s a big world.

…You gave advice. I gave strategy. And then reconciled that strategy. And then backed it up with 8 years of experience USING that strategy...
Me: 35+ years of professional media production experience, overlapped with 17 years of helping develop and teaching in a tech college program where we help people sort out these and many other kinds of issues of employment as they gain hands-on skills.

I’d encourage everyone to read this exchange and think about what they want to do in any commercial work. Don’t be like me. Don’t be like @Donnie Frank. Learn from our experiences and figure out what’s best for you.

There were a few arguments you shared.

On marketing: Companies engage in brand marketing. New developments are marketed. Projects are marketed. Products are marketed. Construction, progress, inspection are all important markets. So is marketing. For decades a significant part of my livelihood was tied to *recurring* marketing work that depended on keeping key client relationships going. Maybe these aren’t the marketing departments you’ve encountered, but it’s a big world.
How much of your personal income was tied to drone footage you shot, provided and invoiced for?

You're trying to reconcile your argument with your MARKETING experience. I'm sure you did very well in marketing. I'm just as sure that little to none of your income was invoiced through your drone company FOR drone footage.

How much of that marketing material did you produce? Because you haven't shared any. Please show everybody your drone marketing material. You know, LIKE I DID.

Me: 35+ years of professional media production experience, overlapped with 17 years of helping develop and teaching in a tech college program where we help people sort out these and many other kinds of issues of employment as they gain hands-on skills.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your marketing material that you are so very proud of. Companies LOVE IT when you share their marketing material...you know...in the market.

I’d encourage everyone to read this exchange and think about what they want to do in any commercial work. Don’t be like me. Don’t be like @Donnie Frank. Learn from our experiences and figure out what’s best for you.

Again, I would encourage everybody to read the OP. He didn't stutter.
1680792394838.png

This isn't the "marketing" group. This a PILOTS group. I gave advice from a PILOT's perspective. You gave advice from a Marketer's perspective. While I concede that one has to "market" one's drone company (which I did by building a website), relying on marketing VIDEOS for one's income is NOT a reliable revenue. I will entertain the possibility that we're talking past one another regarding our meanings of the term "marketing." I'm talking in the context of producing marketing videos, which includes drone footage *I* shot. I could NEVER make a living doing these one-time marketing videos.

You sound like a guy who HIRES drone pilots. And HIRES production companies, yes?? I do not. *I* fly. *I* edit. *I* produce. I'm a one-man show.

Let's summarize:

A UAV pilot in a UAV pilot group asks about pitching his UAV services to a construction company. Somehow, some way, this has devolved into some kind of marketing seminar. I can't speak for the OP, but I hate marketing. I hate selling. If I loved those things, I would be in marketing...like you. Instead, what I LOVE, is flying my drone. THAT is why I fly my drone for a living. No marketing experience necessary. I market ONCE, and I fly MANY times (invoicing for each flight). Conversely, you have to "market" yourself for every video you create. One sale = 1 video. My way, one sale = dozens if not hundreds of videos which equals dozens if not hundreds of invoices.

I created a website, and the clients called ME. My share of the "marketing" was to answer my phone. I did/do good work, so EIGHT YEARS later, I'm still working for the same client. I have roughly a half dozen residual clients with the occasional piecemeal roof inspection or evidence gathering work.

No cold calls. No meetings. No email campaign. No selling. I LOATHE all that crap. What I LOVE, is flying my drone. I don't see my clients. I don't talk to my clients. I don't text my clients. I send them an email with a link to the footage and an invoice and then move on with my day. Call me nuts, but THAT, my friend, is UAV pilot Zen. It's a job I look forward to. If I had to beg people for work every day for every invoice to make a living (what you call "marketing"), I would've shot myself in the head years ago.

While I can certainly concede that maybe some pilots like selling, I'd bet a paycheck most do not. One sale for many invoices is FAR more attractive to me that one sale for one invoice. That is the harsh reality of marketing video income vs. residual, recurring construction progress video income. HATE the former. LOVE the latter.

I hope this finally puts this silly argument to rest Mr. Marketing Salesman. No sale on your argument.

D

Last edited:
How much of your personal income was tied to drone footage you shot, provided and invoiced for?

You're trying to reconcile your argument with your MARKETING experience. I'm sure you did very well in marketing. I'm just as sure that little to none of your income was invoiced through your drone company FOR drone footage.

How much of that marketing material did you produce? Because you haven't shared any. Please show everybody your drone marketing material. You know, LIKE I DID.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your marketing material that you are so very proud of. Companies LOVE IT when you share their marketing material...you know...in the market.

Again, I would encourage everybody to read the OP. He didn't stutter.
View attachment 162329

This isn't the "marketing" group. This a PILOTS group. I gave advice from a PILOT's perspective. You gave advice from a Marketer's perspective. While I concede that one has to "market" one's drone company (which I did by building a website), relying on marketing VIDEOS for one's income is NOT a reliable revenue. I will entertain the possibility that we're talking past one another regarding our meanings of the term "marketing." I'm talking in the context of producing marketing videos, which includes drone footage *I* shot. I could NEVER make a living doing these one-time marketing videos.

You sound like a guy who HIRES drone pilots. And HIRES production companies, yes?? I do not. *I* fly. *I* edit. *I* produce. I'm a one-man show.

Let's summarize:

A UAV pilot in a UAV pilot group asks about pitching his UAV services to a construction company. Somehow, some way, this has devolved into some kind of marketing seminar. I can't speak for the OP, but I hate marketing. I hate selling. If I loved those things, I would be in marketing...like you. Instead, what I LOVE, is flying my drone. THAT is why I fly my drone for a living. No marketing experience necessary. I market ONCE, and I fly MANY times (invoicing for each flight). Conversely, you have to "market" yourself for every video you create. One sale = 1 video. My way, one sale = dozens if not hundreds of videos which equals dozens if not hundreds of invoices.

I created a website, and the clients called ME. My share of the "marketing" was to answer my phone. I did/do good work, so EIGHT YEARS later, I'm still working for the same client. I have roughly a half dozen residual clients with the occasional piecemeal roof inspection or evidence gathering work.

No cold calls. No meetings. No email campaign. No selling. I LOATHE all that crap. What I LOVE, is flying my drone. I don't see my clients. I don't talk to my clients. I don't text my clients. I send them an email with a link to the footage and an invoice and then move on with my day. Call me nuts, but THAT, my friend, is UAV pilot Zen. It's a job I look forward to. If I had to beg people for work every day for every invoice to make a living (what you call "marketing"), I would've shot myself in the head years ago.

While I can certainly concede that maybe some pilots like selling, I'd bet a paycheck most do not. One sale for many invoices is FAR more attractive to me that one sale for one invoice. That is the harsh reality of marketing video income vs. residual, recurring construction progress video income. HATE the former. LOVE the latter.

I hope this finally puts this silly argument to rest Mr. Marketing Salesman. No sale on your argument.

D
Well, OK! I think you’ve made yourself very clear. I think we all get it.

I’m not a marketing professional. I’m not a salesperson. I’m not a woman. I’ve really valued working with these and other kinds of really wonderful people on projects. I suppose that’s not for everyone.

Reactions: anotherlab
Well, OK! I think you’ve made yourself very clear. I think we all get it.
Do you? I don't you do.

I’m not a marketing professional. I’m not a salesperson.
Touché. Don't forget to add "I'm not a professional UAV pilot" to your concession. That kind of concession would make your side of the conversation more germane to the group.

I’m not a woman.
I never said you were. But, for the record, how do you identify? HA!

I’ve really valued working with these and other kinds of really wonderful people on projects.
Sure. But there you go strawmanning the argument again. This has nothing to do with "working with wonderful people" or marketing or sales or anything you've purported in this entire exchange. This is about securing RECURRING DRONE work from a construction company. Hence use of the syntax "Construction PROGRESS" videos. My strategies and advice were spot on for procuring that kind of work.

I suppose that’s not for everyone.
You're strawmanning / deflecting again. This has nothing to do with one's penchant for sales or marketing or "meeting wonderful people" or anything you've said here. This is a UAV forum for UAV pilots discussing UAV work. FLYING a drone IS "for everyone" in this group. What is NOT "for everyone" is sales and marketing. I might concede that "production" is at least in the ball park, but nobody here knows exactly what you do for a living...which is on purpose I suspect.

I don't know why you can't just stay on topic and succinctly admit that your advice, while well intentioned, was way off the mark.

D

…I don't know why you can't just stay on topic and succinctly admit that your advice, while well intentioned, was way off the mark…
Most/all of these shots you’re taking have been answered previously in the thread. I’m not too riled up, but seriously? This is how you relate to people you disagree with?

As to why I can’t stay on (your) topic, it’s very simple: Half the job is working with people. And yes, that includes architects, engineers, marketers, AND women. I am solid in that and feel that is is very relevant to people getting into construction progress or any other drone/media work.

Reactions: anotherlab
Most/all of these shots you’re taking have been answered previously in the thread.
Shots? Interesting word choice. You ignored some key points, which I pointed out. Simply saying or repeating "I addressed all your shots" doesn't make it so.

I’m not too riled up, but seriously?
Neither am I. Just finished another drone job. Gorgeous day outside. Just opened my email to like 4 more jobs. Life is good.

This is how you relate to people you disagree with?
I've simply addressed all your point, one at a time, very thoughtfully, and moved on. Then you repeat yourself or ignore my points, so now we're going in circles. Is this how you debate with people you disagree with?

As to why I can’t stay on (your) topic
THE topic. Construction PROGRESS video via a drone. THAT is the topic. Not sales. Not marketing. Not production. One guy. One drone. One client. Multiple videos producing residual income. THAT is the subject, amigo. NOT my subject. That would be the OP's subject. Shall I screenshot the OP and underline the key points in red AGAIN for the THIRD time????

, it’s very simple: Half the job is working with people.
In sales and marketing and production, agreed. In construction progress videos, not so much. Like I said, in EIGHT YEARS with one company, I have ONE POC. Of course, I deal with other companies. And I have a POC for each one of those companies. Plus I have a business partner. So....yeah....about a half dozen primary people per year. Add another dozen for peripherals who are involved with jobs, but don't affect my employment.

Conversely, I can imagine you deal with dozens if not hundreds of people/year. But that's the nature of sales and marketing and production. NOT so much for construction progress jobs.

And yes, that includes architects, engineers, marketers, AND women.
Those are the people I recommended the OP pitch to. I didn't have to pitch. My clients called me. But ultimately, IF I were going to pitch shooting construction progress videos, THAT is who I would pitch to. NOT marketing. NOT sales. See the circle you've created???

I am solid in that and feel that is is very relevant to people getting into construction progress or any other drone/media work.
And you would be wrong. But please feel free to keep guessing and speculating and "feeling." I'll just continue to share my real-world experience doing EXACTLY what the OP is trying to do. My drone batteries are literally still warm from the construction shoot I just finished up. Do you even own a drone?

Good day.

D

I guess I've had enough of this - I'll fold here. I don't retract a thing. It's just difficult to continue what's become an increasingly adversarial conversation. I'm not interested in responding to or trading insults and digs - I won't do it. That's not what I come here for. I don't have anything more to add to what's already been said.

I wish everyone continued good experiences flying for fun & profit.

@SethB and @Donnie Frank don't make this about you. You both have stated your opinions and have kind of gotten off-topic. Stay on topic and stay civil. Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Good for you.

Reference my list above. Don't let them make you pitch the marketing department. That is a losing pitch. There's no carrot there. Appeal to engineers, architects and construction foreman regarding the thousands that will be saved the first time your footage spots a construction mistake. Let them know that that drone in the air every other week reminds subcontractors that they had better be on their best behavior and their work had better be accurate.

Then appeal to their legal department. Remind them that aerial evidence is their best litigation tool against subcontractors. No contractor gets away with anything as long as that drone flies every other week.

Then push the convenience of doing everything virtually. They don't have to lift a finger. You send a link to the video every other week along with an invoice to their accounting department. I've been using Google Drive for years. I have purchased 100GB which costs a mere $20/year (not a typo). Every other cloud service is an order of magnitude more expensive.

If you want, I will send you a link to my deliverables in a private message. These will be for YOUR EYES ONLY so you can get an idea of a time-tested shooting strategy. The POI shot is fully automated. The strafe is partially automated (waypoints only). I manually operate the camera.

Hit me up in PM if you want a link to that footage. The footage will be the downres'd to 1080p. That is what I deliver to my clients. In 8 years I had the client request the full 4K footage one time. Due to the large file size, I made them come to my house with a thumb drive to get it. This dissuades them from asking for 4K footage on a whim.

OR...

You can use this link in your presentation, which is in the public domain. Keep in mind that aerial footage is sped up 4x for presentation.

FWIW, I offer a 100% reshoot guarantee. But my emails are terse. I don't prod them for their opinion. I just send them the link to the footage and be done with it. If you ask them for their opinion, you open Pandora's Box for a litany of criticism, which leads to endless changes as differing opinions pour in. In 8 years I've never asked a client for their opinion. I provide professional video that shows every angle of every building in every stage of construction.

INSIST ON A SINGLE Point Of Contact (POC). I know this isn't politically correct, but insist on a man. I've had nothing with bad luck with women. They're emotional and have "opinions." LOTS of opinions. Blame it on me if you wish. My communication style is succinct and to the point. NOT flowery. I am NOT a politician. I've been dealing with the same guy for 8 years. I have his number in my speed dial. In 8 years I've called him maybe a half dozen times. I don't deal with anybody else.

I don't mind Cc:'ing others in the emails, but all emails go do him as the primary.

Good luck.

D
First of all, I appreciate the hearty discussion. Just to play the devils advocate here and clear up any confusion, this was never a pitch to an actual construction company. This was to the marketing department of the city planning commission who sponsor countles organizations, businesses, and events. They sponsor the zoo and subsequently the water park that is being built tying in with the zoo. The water park is the project I am looking to cover. So to say this was strictly a construction progress pitch, wouldn’t be 100% accurate. I’m ABSOLUTELY looking at this as a job interview for future projects they sponsor. Whether it be more construction, festivals, concerts, etc. So I’m trying to put my best foot forward. The video that I created to send them that I was initially asking about in this thread, wasn’t anything super special, but it wasn’t raw video either. Threw my titles in there, made som graphics as close to the font and color scheme used in their advertising, added audio tracks correlating to the theme of the park, and so on. I feel like im squarely on the fence dividing the two arguments here lol. I can see myself on both sides of this argument.

Donnie, thanks again for the reply. As of right now all I have is the single POC in the marketing department. She is the head of the department and asked me to put together a proposal to shoot every other week from last week through August. Sent that over today. We also discussed meeting the construction supervisor and engineers to get a schedule of ”milestone” construction dates. Looking forward to see if they accept my bid and meeting with the other leaders on this project.

I would very much like to see your deliverables, as I just kind of threw a quick list together of what I would offer them. I’m still trying to figure out the best shooting strategy so any advice there is greatly appreciated. I’ve been doing a high level and low level 360 degree orbit and also taking stills from each cardinal direction and the corners. Ive also got a waypoint hyperlapse saved so I can run it every other flight or so. I’m sure I’ve got room for improvement though

Last edited:
Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom