DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THOUGHTS?? Cold Email w/ Previously Recorded Video

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
I'm looking for opinions here and suggestions on how to proceed with this.

So I'm looking at pitching my services to a potential client. This is would be for a construction site progress shoot. I'm looking to partner up with the commission that is funding a waterpark being built in my city. I have already flown twice and put together 2 videos (with stills) and plan on doing a new one every week or so to document the progress. I'm going to call to speak with them to hopefully set a meeting up, but I was wondering what the consensus would be on sending a cold email with a brief overview of my services and how I can help them monitor their investment. I would watermark the videos and send them as well, as a preview of what they would be getting. I guess I'm not sure what the reception would be though about asking to do this and then also being like "Oh, by the way, I already did it!"

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I would not include the videos nor make any reference to having them. That might be seen as an invasion of privacy. Let them ask for samples .... if they want them.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I would not include the videos nor make any reference to having them. That might be seen as an invasion of privacy. Let them ask for samples .... if they want them.
And see that’s kind of my drawback. But at the same time, there is absolutely zero expectation of privacy in this location. The project is being heavily advertised and it’s literally on the biggest road in the city, right in the middle of everything lol. You can see the entire job site as you drive by, and everything that is going on.

But folks have their own interpretation of their "right to privacy". If the site boss happens to be Jack Travis (Lethal Weapon 3) a sample video might not be too healthy .🤣

Better to not risk annoying a prospective employer I think.

I don't know that I'd include a video with the initial contact but I see nothing wrong with reaching out via phone or email if you have it, and asking if they'd be interested in your services and product. If they decide to hijack your video, your chances or recouping anything would not be good...and it would be expensive to boot. I presume that you are part 107 certified, as large companies that are successful generally keep their business dealings legal.

Reactions: MA2 317
I don't know that I'd include a video with the initial contact but I see nothing wrong with reaching out via phone or email if you have it, and asking if they'd be interested in your services and product. If they decide to hijack your video, your chances or recouping anything would not be good...and it would be expensive to boot. I presume that you are part 107 certified, as large companies that are successful generally keep their business dealings legal.
Yea, I’m 107 and fully insured. The videos are watermarked, so they wouldn’t be able to do anything with them. I tend to agree with the sentiment of not including them initially. Just had it as an option and was curious what others opinions might be.

I wouldn't include the video's, watermarked or not. BUT, I'd ensure that I said "Sample available on request", and if they bite, then you "magically" have watermarked samples to send immediately!

On selling, I would recommend starting with a call to find out who to contact. Unsolicited emails are unimportant. Send email to the right person and follow up with a direct phone call to that person.

So I'm looking at pitching my services to a potential client. This is would be for a construction site progress shoot. I'm looking to partner up with the commission that is funding a waterpark being built in my city. I have already flown twice and put together 2 videos (with stills) and plan on doing a new one every week or so to document the progress. I'm going to call to speak with them to hopefully set a meeting up, but I was wondering what the consensus would be on sending a cold email with a brief overview of my services and how I can help them monitor their investment. I would watermark the videos and send them as well, as a preview of what they would be getting. I guess I'm not sure what the reception would be though about asking to do this and then also being like "Oh, by the way, I already did it!"

I guess I disagree with most. If it is (legal) to fly over that property simply tell them you were flying recreationally and did some video, and ask if they would be interested in actually hiring you to document the construction for them. Ask if you can show them your work.
They are going to be interested or not, and I don't believe that having flown there would be of concern. if that bothered them in the first place, they probably wouldn't hire anyone anyway.

Reactions: Jurgen
While it's legal to fly over that property, you are trying to make the best impression with a cold call. Some people might take offense that you already have video recorded for that property.

I would try to contact the appropriate person for that company and provide links for videos from other jobs that would match what you could provide.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
but I was wondering what the consensus would be on sending a cold email with a brief overview of my services and how I can help them monitor their investment.
I reread this, and my initial response. What you're calling a "cold email", is spam, short and simple. Any unsolicited email is spam...no one likes spam! So, as others' have suggested, find out who to talk to and then specifically ask them if you can send them an email. (with or without a sample) Do not just spam them!

I reread this, and my initial response. What you're calling a "cold email", is spam, short and simple. Any unsolicited email is spam...no one likes spam! So, as others' have suggested, find out who to talk to and then specifically ask them if you can send them an email. (with or without a sample) Do not just spam them!
I understand that, but it isnt always the case. This is a service that I know they want and I know they don't have. I have an email address directly to the marketing department and a name. I got what you are referring to as a "spam" email two weeks ago. Turned out to be an advertising firm that wants to put me on the radio and add my logo to the big college football schedules that go up in businesses and billboards all over town during the summer. The rep saw one of my facebook ads and sent a "spam" email.

If you have it, send it. I'd be more inclined to procure a product I can see rather than jump through hoops, make additional requests or wonder what the quality is. If they're offended by your forthright approach, that's on them. You'll never be able to control how someone else chooses to feel. Good luck - sounds like a fun project.

I have used your strategy many times and no, I don't consider it either Spam or an Invasion of Privacy.
Be polite, cordial and not long winded with a brief description of your services.
Why would you watermark? Degrades the experience of viewing - it is a sunk cost in your time and its doubtful they'd ever do anything with it...and even if they did? Who cares?

My approach has always been, "These photos/videos are free for you to use anyway you see fit. Should you need additional services in the future, it would be my pleasure to work for you and please contact me at (888) xxx-xxxx"

(Pro Tip: An 800 or 888 is dirt freaking cheap (I pay $15/mo). I found a number with AERIAL in it and really elevates the perception of professionalism)

I have several clients that have turned into longterm customers with me after I cold-emailed them. One spent $50,000 with me last year. Another one went from shooting the one office building that was being leased (I sent aerials and offered to do interior as well of that building) to doing a 22 office building portfolio. That was spread across just three local town - I got $400/building and $8,800 for two days of work (I hired someone to do the interiors for $800 total and outsourced the editing for $400). Another cold-email led to three monthly construction update jobs that pay me $250/each for about a year now.

So in a nutshell:

> So yeah, it can be a great strategy.
> I wouldn't watermark.
> I would make sure your assets are pristine.

I've been doing construction progress videos for roughly 7 years. Here are 3 things that added value to my services that didn't even cross my mind initially, but turned out to be pivotal in my continued relationships with my construction clients:

1) Construction mistakes can be easily seen (and subsequently abated) via drone footage, thus saving thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. Early on my footage spotted a mistake that saved my client about $10K, which insured my future employment. That was 7 years ago.

2) Aerial footage is a great tool if a lawsuit arises. About 3 months ago my client asked for an exact date for a particular video to be used as evidence in a lawsuit. Since our drones conveniently time stamp our footage, it was easy to give him a date and even a time when the footage was shot. I archive all original footage. I have every second of footage I have ever shot stored in redundancy on enterprise-grade hard drives (WD Gold).

3) Aerial footage makes a good part of any promotional video they may want you to author. I do "prosumerish" video production, so I was able to put together a promotional video for them. I billed the editing out @ $2K, which took roughly an entire day to edit. Here's the video (stock photos and logos provided by client):

I'll share my work flow, which has worked successfully for years:

1) Footage is completely automated, so it's repeatable. The client gets the same exact videos every week.

2) I shoot 2 videos; A POI and a strafe. The strafe moving forward is shot nadir. Moving backward I tilt up to expose the entire property at the end. Drone velocity is programmed @ 6-9 mph, depending on the property. Larger properties are shot @ 9 mph. Smaller @ 6 mph. This is for both POI and strafe. This combination has worked well for years.

3) I shoot 4K, but deliver in 1080p. This allows me to digitally zoom for things like leveling the horizon, etc. I park the smaller 1080p files on the cloud, which the client then downloads. I then email the invoice to their accounting department. I haven't seen my client's face in years.

4) I shoot every 2 weeks with a 3-day target window that I hit 90% of the time. I generally try to have deliverables ready by 4:00 Friday, but don't always hit that target. For example, yesterday wind gusts were 40+ mph. Today (Saturday), they are 12 mph. So the client will ultimately get the footage today, which they will probably not see until Monday.

5) Billing. My prices are going up for this next property. My new prices include a $500 setup fee (this isn't new). Not only do I have to build the missions at home, but then I have to go to the jobsite and tweak them for correct composition. I charge $500 for this. There was one time a client decided to go with someone else. So now I charge for setup. Because this is a recurring client, I charge $300-$400 per deliverable, depending on the property. I have become cognizant of a strategy where they try to get me to discount my invoice for adjoining properties. They tried to get a "2 for 1" one time. I refused, but I compromised by discounting the invoice by $100. So where normally 2 adjoining properties would be billed out $600-$800, I discount it $100. No "2 for 1's."

My client tends to be cheap, which is funny because in the scale of what it costs to build an apartment complex, my roughly $5K/year/property invoices are pretty cost-effective.

Again, I've been doing construction progress for roughly 7 years. Though it is the smallest piece of my aerial company's revenue pie, it is a good, reliable, residual income. I spend roughly 2 hours total time shooting, editing and uploading the footage. Most of the time is spent driving to and from the site and then editing. 2 hours is probably exaggerated. It's probably closer to 1.5 hours.

Best of luck.

D

Parkerjh & Donnie Frank,

Thank you for your replies! So I called the number a last Wednesday and got the "I can take a message and your info and pass it along to "X'" reply. Didn't put a lot of stock into that. Gave it a few days and over the weekend. Figured I would give them all day Monday as well, and didn't hear anything. So I decided to call back again yesterday morning to follow up and told the "receptionist" I would be sending an email to the blanketed email to the address listed on their website. She then gave me another email address to another woman in the marketing department. So I decided to go ahead and attach one of the videos I did for the sight and just hope they didn't take it the wrong way. Well, about 15 minutes latter, I got a call from the woman I was trying to get in touch with originally who is in charge of the marketing department. She wanted a pricing sheet and my website info to present at a meeting the committee had yesterday afternoon. Got another relpy back from her around 1600 yesterday asking to set up a meeting to discuss their ideas!!

I will definitely be back with some more questions for you guys!!

Thanks again!

Parkerjh & Donnie Frank,

Thank you for your replies! So I called the number a last Wednesday and got the "I can take a message and your info and pass it along to "X'" reply. Didn't put a lot of stock into that. Gave it a few days and over the weekend. Figured I would give them all day Monday as well, and didn't hear anything. So I decided to call back again yesterday morning to follow up and told the "receptionist" I would be sending an email to the blanketed email to the address listed on their website. She then gave me another email address to another woman in the marketing department. So I decided to go ahead and attach one of the videos I did for the sight and just hope they didn't take it the wrong way. Well, about 15 minutes latter, I got a call from the woman I was trying to get in touch with originally who is in charge of the marketing department. She wanted a pricing sheet and my website info to present at a meeting the committee had yesterday afternoon. Got another relpy back from her around 1600 yesterday asking to set up a meeting to discuss their ideas!!

I will definitely be back with some more questions for you guys!!

Thanks again!
Good for you.

Reference my list above. Don't let them make you pitch the marketing department. That is a losing pitch. There's no carrot there. Appeal to engineers, architects and construction foreman regarding the thousands that will be saved the first time your footage spots a construction mistake. Let them know that that drone in the air every other week reminds subcontractors that they had better be on their best behavior and their work had better be accurate.

Then appeal to their legal department. Remind them that aerial evidence is their best litigation tool against subcontractors. No contractor gets away with anything as long as that drone flies every other week.

Then push the convenience of doing everything virtually. They don't have to lift a finger. You send a link to the video every other week along with an invoice to their accounting department. I've been using Google Drive for years. I have purchased 100GB which costs a mere $20/year (not a typo). Every other cloud service is an order of magnitude more expensive.

If you want, I will send you a link to my deliverables in a private message. These will be for YOUR EYES ONLY so you can get an idea of a time-tested shooting strategy. The POI shot is fully automated. The strafe is partially automated (waypoints only). I manually operate the camera.

Hit me up in PM if you want a link to that footage. The footage will be the downres'd to 1080p. That is what I deliver to my clients. In 8 years I had the client request the full 4K footage one time. Due to the large file size, I made them come to my house with a thumb drive to get it. This dissuades them from asking for 4K footage on a whim.

OR...

You can use this link in your presentation, which is in the public domain. Keep in mind that aerial footage is sped up 4x for presentation.

FWIW, I offer a 100% reshoot guarantee. But my emails are terse. I don't prod them for their opinion. I just send them the link to the footage and be done with it. If you ask them for their opinion, you open Pandora's Box for a litany of criticism, which leads to endless changes as differing opinions pour in. In 8 years I've never asked a client for their opinion. I provide professional video that shows every angle of every building in every stage of construction.

INSIST ON A SINGLE Point Of Contact (POC). I know this isn't politically correct, but insist on a man. I've had nothing with bad luck with women. They're emotional and have "opinions." LOTS of opinions. Blame it on me if you wish. My communication style is succinct and to the point. NOT flowery. I am NOT a politician. I've been dealing with the same guy for 8 years. I have his number in my speed dial. In 8 years I've called him maybe a half dozen times. I don't deal with anybody else.

I don't mind Cc:'ing others in the emails, but all emails go do him as the primary.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: Scuddzy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman