DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on how to recover a drone that went down in water with low visibility

OK..... Did you try my idea? This is a proven way of recovering items on the bottom. (when you own a boat, you get creative)

I know all about being creative :) I haven't had much time, but will look at the idea Drone or Boat. Unfortunately without access to a boat that fits into schedules, family things coming up & the weird weather around here lately just haven't had much time to devote to the retrieval. I did try a little 'probing' of the bottom with a PVC pipe of about 10 ft with a wading net attached but that wasn't a fun experience, all that I really ended up with was pulling up a lot of nasty silty mud. I'm going to go ahead and see about fabricating that little device, it won't hurt anything. I've also got a friend as soon as this flu that's floating around the house clears that's SCUBA certified & we are planning to head on out there with a metal detector to see if we have any luck. As our lake is really still young, it's challenging because of all the silt on the bottom (even in the older section where it went down) & the clarity of the water is awful.

I'm keep everyone updated through when the refresh expires though. Success or no success.

Reactions: Tialki
Magnet fishing! All 4 motors have magnets that just may pull it up unless it is hung up on something.
Don't listen to the naysayers! Those motors have N52 magnets and are strong enough to lift it through water.
Jeff

Last edited:
I’d try using a cast net - the ones I’m familiar with are about 10’ in diameter with multiple weights around the perimeter loop of rope - you cast it “flat” so as it hits the water it covers the full diameter of the net - after it sinks you retrieve it by pulling the rope that cinches the weighted perimeter rope - hopefully, you will have cast it over the drone and it will scoop it up.

Find a friend with a boat and fish finder, start scanning and probing, maybe a metal detector, flippers and goggles would help.

And before you fly over water again get this. Deploys on immersion with float and 100’ tether.
View attachment 65664
Funny thing was I had one attached. Make sure you read all the details though on how it works (I didn't unfortunately). The tech appears to be pressure activated, of course with my luck there wasn't enough depth to let the device deploy.

There's a You Tube vid where the guy throws a pipe with a Getterback attached into a 6' deep pool. Filming under water, it took 7 1/2 minutes to activate, but it did do what it's supposed to. On Amazon, one reviewer's Mavic took a plunge with two Getterbacks attached, neither of which activated properly. He also posted a pic of the mud covered Mavic.

It bears mentioning that Fakespot found the Amazon reviews to be highly deceptive with under 25% of the reviews being legit.

Most of the water I fly over is 6' or less. I don't think I would be comfortable with the Getterback.

I know this is a fairly old post, but for others that may find this through a search... Thankfully I haven't had to try this myself, but I think these two items may work down to 15 to 17 feet or so (and a boat of course - I have a little kayak, and they're not very expensive to rent):

"Wireless Endoscope 5.0MP HD WiFi Borescope Semi-Rigid Cable IP67 Waterproof Snake Inspection Camera with 2600mAh Battery for iOS and Android Smartphone & Tablets (16.5Ft)"
Only the fiber-optic cable is waterproof! $32 currently.

It goes to 15 feet, and I don't have one yet, but surely you can - if you have to - bend the end's metal coil enough to allow it to get around a motor leg. $50 currently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851