DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tight landing space onboard a tall ship

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Did you find the mono pod affected flight performance? What brand do you have? I'l see lots on EBay from China. How much did it limit the range of camera view?
?
Didn't really observe any significant change in flight performance. I used the GoPro brand handle, and it didn't affect the range of view (but then again then i didn't do any top down shots, so i'm not sure what effect it might have on a 90" top down shot)

I gather the drone won't actually execute a landing if it is in forward motion (boat is moving), and that's why the monopod?
the monopod was just to serve as an aid and a guide. never land by catching just the monopod. You need to grasp the drone's body / undercarriage.

Landing is easier if flying in reverse so controls match the drone movements exactly. Sounds like an exciting shoot, have fun.
Yeah, but then you miss the exciting selfie of the pilot's terror during the landing! LOL!

the monopod was just to serve as an aid and a guide. never land by catching just the monopod. You need to grasp the drone's body / undercarriage.
You could easily land by catching the handle of the devices linked above. Why would the monopod be any different?

Reactions: MA2 317
I checked out the ship today via. It's doable. View attachment 164270View attachment 164271
Just don't fall overboard, reaching out for it over the rear railing! Looks pretty low and your feet can't get underneath it, because the rear slopes away from you. You'll need to be leaning forward to remain clear of the ropes. Maybe a safety harness around your waist?

Just don't fall overboard, reaching out for it over the rear railing! Looks pretty low and your feet can't get underneath it, because the rear slopes away from you. You'll need to be leaning forward to remain clear of the ropes. Maybe a safety harness around your waist?
I'm hoping I can fly it in above the rear deck at the stern. If the mainsail is out to the side on a downward wind run, there will be lots of space. My only uncertainty is obstacle avoidance stopping it from coming in. Can anyone advise on this matter?
* Will it fly in ok with obstacle avidance on?
* Can I change this whilst in flight?
* or do I need to turn obstacle avoidance off??

IMG_20230518_215617156~3.jpg

There's actually a 'kill switch' I can enable but pulling both levers down/in or down/out. Given this lol switch could also dump the drone in the water, I'll try the flipping technique first!

I'm hoping I can fly it in above the rear deck at the stern. If the mainsail is out to the side on a downward wind run, there will be lots of space. My only uncertainty is obstacle avoidance stopping it from coming in. Can anyone advise on this matter?
* Will it fly in ok with obstacle avidance on?
* Can I change this whilst in flight?
* or do I need to turn obstacle avoidance off??
When flying out at sea from a vessel, I always fly with all obstacle avoidance off

The monopod or handle is just a little insurance to assist in catching it, if you have a hard time matching the boat speed plus the wind while "hovering" in front of yourself to grab it. It will execute a landing if you tell it to, but that will stop the forward speed and land it in the water! You need to fly it to yourself and maneuver it to within your reach.
If I start descent, will it lock onto the (moving) deck or descend geo-stationary (into the water)?

If I start descent, will it lock onto the (moving) deck or descend geo-stationary (into the water)?
You need to continuously fly it to yourself on a glide path of descent, as a normal strictly vertical landing descent will land it in the water behind the moving boat, unless the boat is stationary. Don't stop the forward flight during the descent. It can't lock onto anything.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Turn off avoidance sensors, come straight in from the stern. get a large
long handle fishing net and land it in that. You might try it t home first.

Hi all,

This is the Lady Nelson, which operates from Hobart, Tasmania in Australia. She's having Redding Of the Sails events soon. I need to ascertain whether I can launch and land on her read deck whilst at sail. I'm posting because I want to check if anyone else has done something similar.
As you can see from the pictures, the read stays (ropes) fan around the stern, then there are stays toward the read of the beam (side). There's a gap though, and there's a roof on the cabin.

I am taking a look at her on Thursday, but wanted advice from anyone who's got experience with a moving object and limited space.

I assume I will need to turn obstacle avoidance right down or even off to accomplish this. I have a pretty steady hand, so am confident I can maneuver the drone. I may ask if there's a day sail I can test on first.

Advice?

Thx, Steve

View attachment 164167
View attachment 164168
Are you proposing bringing your 4 whirling bladed drone to that space directly in front of or to the side of the helmsman? Does the skipper know you want to do this?

Maybe less important than blinding or injuring the person steering the 60 tons of boat through a crowded harbor, those lines and spars are all constantly *moving* when underway, they won't be in the positions shown. And the sails will be raised, probably. The wind direction is changing constantly and no way can you happily assume the wind will come from any particular direction; sailboats can go upwind, downwind or across the wind whether you stand on the stern or bow or beam of the boat.

Finally, to appearances, you will be landing and flying within 5-8 feet of other non-participating passengers. Is that OK in Australia? It would certainly get you arrested most places.

This is very different than hand launching from a small private boat with the skipper steering to make it easy for you and other people on the boat are friends who have agreed to jump out of your way. Unless the ship has hired you and will steer for your convenience and clear an open space on deck, stop worrying about yourself or your drone and worry about everyone else. Even then, a 60 ton boat basically can't maneuver around for the ease of your droning.

If they have hired you, then get a small chase boat. An 18 ft skiff with an outboard motor would be far better and there is no reason to do anything actually on the big boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest