DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tight prop

markcamp

Reactions
I'm new so If I'm posting this wrong please steer me to where I need to post it. I have an air 2s. I was heading toward a wall in sport mode and got too close before I left off causing a minor crash into the wall. Minor because it was almost stopped before it hit. My drone doesn't appear to have any damage and still flies fine. But when I spin one of the props it feels tight. I haven't flown since with any altitude for fear it will crash. What should I do?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Did the drone fall and hit the ground? If so how far did it fall and what did it land on?

I would take the prop off and inspect it, carefully check the prop's hub and hooks for cracks. If there are chips out of either blade discard the prop, chips will unbalance the prop.
Take the remaining props off, try spinning the motors, do they still feel different, does the questionable motor wobble or grate? If so you have a problem with it that needs rectifying.
With the props still off try starting the drone's motors with CSC, do all the motors start? If so just let them idle, do you get any warnings? If not rev them a bit, I expect you will get a warning about props and the motors will stop.
Obviously if the questionable motor does not start you have a problem with it and do not persist in the attempt to start the motors until you have either cleared any obstruction or had the drone repaired etc..

Reactions: Cafguy
Send it in an get it repaired and checked over.

Send it in an get it repaired and checked over.

Did the drone fall and hit the ground? If so how far did it fall and what did it land on?

I would take the prop off and inspect it, carefully check the prop's hub and hooks for cracks. If there are chips out of either blade discard the prop, chips will unbalance the prop.
Take the remaining props off, try spinning the motors, do they still feel different, does the questionable motor wobble or grate? If so you have a problem with it that needs rectifying.
With the props still off try starting the drone's motors with CSC, do all the motors start? If so just let them idle, do you get any warnings? If not rev them a bit, I expect you will get a warning about props and the motors will stop.
Obviously if the questionable motor does not start you have a problem with it and do not persist in the attempt to start the motors until you have either cleared any obstruction or had the drone repaired etc..
It was about 5 feet off the ground when it hit and it fell on cement. It landed upside down. I didn't notice any cracks but I will do a thorough inspection and report the findings

It was about 5 feet off the ground when it hit and it fell on cement. It landed upside down. I didn't notice any cracks but I will do a thorough inspection and report the findings
Ahhh given that information, I would suggest that after you have done the testing already suggested and if it 'passes' you
a) hover the drone at eye level, in a windless place, and slowly spin the drone. Look for asymmetry between the two front arms when they are compared to each other and between the two rear arms when they are compared with each other.
b) Then give the drone very QUICK 'squirts' of full throttle and check for arm movement, I'd also be inclined to alternate between full throttle and full descent but you are aiming for climbs & descents of only a few feet so that you can watch the arms for movement.
Check if the gimbal seems to be drooping and or keeps the camera level etc.

If nothing shows up then give the drone an acrobatic thrashing over somewhere safe like a field etc. etc. where, if anything goes wrong, it can crash with out endangering anything else and can be easily found.

Internal damage is impossible to see but may produce symptoms in test flights.

Reactions: Cafguy
Should I use dji repair service or is there another service that you know is reputable and reasonable?
If you have checked it and decide to send it in I too would be inclined to go with DJI's service. I suspect it might work out cheaper that way, plus I think you might get warranty BUT CHECK THAT.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne