DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time for a reality check, so where can I fly?

D

Deleted member 24841

I was so pleased when my Mavic arrived, I'd had some fun with my old FC40 for three years or more, but now I could do some quality videoing, but where? I can't fly in town, at events or places of interest and the parks where I'd flown my FC40 now have specific 'no drone' rules. This is all due to selfish idiots that have ignored the rules of common sense and given hobbyist drones worldwide negative publicity. I could take it out into the country, but once you've videoed one field, you've done them all! My wife thought I was mad forking out £1200 on a Mavic and now I'm in the embarrassing situation where I have to say she might be right!

Reactions: Tazerdog and p2tk64
I was so pleased when my Mavic arrived, I'd had some fun with my old FC40 for three years or more, but now I could do some quality videoing, but where? I can't fly in town, at events or places of interest and the parks where I'd flown my FC40 now have specific 'no drone' rules. This is all due to selfish idiots that have ignored the rules of common sense and given hobbyist drones worldwide negative publicity. I could take it out into the country, but once you've videoed one field, you've done them all! My wife thought I was mad forking out £1200 on a Mavic and now I'm in the embarrassing situation where I have to say she might be right!

You must not, under any circumstances, declare that she was right.

So you're in Europe right?

Here in the US things are getting tight too. National parks, state parks, out, events, airports seemingly everywhere, private property owners threatening to shoot them down, etc.

I am lucky as I am p107 certified, work in a town which is very drone friendly and live out in the country in an area which is picturesque an pretty much free of any restrictions.

You might have to travel a little. See if you can find an area of interest and introduce yourself locally and let them know what you're up to. Offer to post some nice footage of the area and send them links. Be creative and learn your craft, and polish your art.

But most of all, fly everywhere it is still legal, and exercise your right to do so safely and politely, because as a technology and a tool these things aren't going to be suppressed or eliminated as many might wish.

I too am lucky as I live in a Drone friendly town, I get the "you can fly here as long as you gimme some photos" from locals all the time. Also, quite surprised to find out my local conservation area wardens really don't give a darn if I fly in their parks, but, "not weekends okay, we got to many people weekends."
Parks in this area are holding a "send in your best photos & win, contest this summer.
I;ve already entered a few pics.

I too am lucky as I live in a Drone friendly town, I get the "you can fly here as long as you gimme some photos" from locals all the time. Also, quite surprised to find out my local conservation area wardens really don't give a darn if I fly in their parks, but, "not weekends okay, we got to many people weekends."
Parks in this area are holding a "send in your best photos & win, contest this summer.
I;ve already entered a few pics.
Yep, seems we gotta win them over, one skeptic at a time! Lol

Not sure about where you can fly but you must tell your wife she's right! And then take some flattering pics of her with the drone and tag her on FB. Trust me....

So you're in Europe right?

Here in the US things are getting tight too. National parks, state parks, out, events, airports seemingly everywhere, private property owners threatening to shoot them down, etc.

I am lucky as I am p107 certified, work in a town which is very drone friendly and live out in the country in an area which is picturesque an pretty much free of any restrictions.

You might have to travel a little. See if you can find an area of interest and introduce yourself locally and let them know what you're up to. Offer to post some nice footage of the area and send them links. Be creative and learn your craft, and polish your art.

But most of all, fly everywhere it is still legal, and exercise your right to do so safely and politely, because as a technology and a tool these things aren't going to be suppressed or eliminated as many might wish.

Robert, I agree with all you say, but I think the problem here in the UK is that places of interest tend to be well populated.

Some of the adventure is finding cool, legal places to film. I live on the outskirts of a city with over 2,000,000 pop and I find places. It may take a Sunday drive to get there but I have fun. Here's a couple un-edited pics and working on the video.

e9b278973f3fb39252fbd97bcad9d43a.jpg

5b2f0e12fd5681bbd8c5bcd917de9382.jpg

I have some woods by my house and have even filmed flying through a trail when it was too windy to fly. It was good control practice too. Go on an adventure and have fun.

Some really nice shots here and a reminder that it's not all about video, you have some beautiful scenery close at hand, but once you've captured this where do you go from here?

You mean if I did some color grading after ? No !

All you need to do flying in UK is to follow the drone code and research local bylaws.

Reactions: BigEegit
All you need to do flying in UK is to follow the drone code and research local bylaws.

I called my council yesterday to see what their rules are after I was asked to stop flying from an empty bit of park the other day. They told me that drones are banned in the whole of Hertfordshire. I said that was nonsense and she transferred me to 'highways' and the guy there also started talking crap. He said he would call me back with more info.

He basically told me other councils have banned them and Hertfordshire will follow suit. Also this is more than likely not actually true. He went on to start talking about the CAA and I filled him in on the actual drone laws at which point he didn't know what else to say apart from he would call me back. He hasn't.

I called my council yesterday to see what their rules are after I was asked to stop flying from an empty bit of park the other day. They told me that drones are banned in the whole of Hertfordshire. I said that was nonsense and she transferred me to 'highways' and the guy there also started talking crap. He said he would call me back with more info.

He basically told me other councils have banned them and Hertfordshire will follow suit. Also this is more than likely not actually true. He went on to start talking about the CAA and I filled him in on the actual drone laws at which point he didn't know what else to say apart from he would call me back. He hasn't.
It's total bs. So long you fly safely and away from airports and other no fly zones (Check in Drone Assist App) you should be fine. When you look for legal information on CAA website they refer you to Drone Code. This is what you legally have to obey. There are few places in the country that stupidly have a blanket ban on anything fun like my local New Forest but most other areas are a fair game. I've reserhched my local councils stand on drones. They've suggested specifics spaces for flying model aircraft and banned them from nature reserves, as for drones they've again referenced the drone code.

Reactions: inkytog
Some of the adventure is finding cool, legal places to film. I live on the outskirts of a city with over 2,000,000 pop and I find places. It may take a Sunday drive to get there but I have fun. Here's a couple un-edited pics and working on the video.

e9b278973f3fb39252fbd97bcad9d43a.jpg

5b2f0e12fd5681bbd8c5bcd917de9382.jpg

I have some woods by my house and have even filmed flying through a trail when it was too windy to fly. It was good control practice too. Go on an adventure and have fun.

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice on my original question, some have been encouraging and I'm envious of those that live in areas of natural beauty and have the freedom to capture it. I was starting to feel more positive about things and then I read an update to the regulations of a country park that is within easy reach from me. This was the first place I flew my FC40 a few years ago, I wouldn't go there during busy holiday periods, but midweek out of season it's just rolling hills and not many people around. This regulation seems to have been enforced across all the parks in Warwickshire and regardless of the CAA rules if the council decide to ban drones then I suppose that's their right. I'm not interested in flying a drone, if it didn't have a camera I wouldn't bother, but now it seems my opportunity to get some special aerial video and photos for my self has been deleted.
30a0ae7f760a0bf874a6acad444ce089.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely crazy that they should have their say in something that is already regulated by an official body. Unless there are good reason for this it's just limiting freedoms. I feel like that sometimes that only interesting things to film are off limits and you have to enter grey area to be able to shoot them. Something's got to change or this hobby will die out.
Thanks all for your thoughts and advice on my original question, some have been encouraging and I'm envious of those that live in areas of natural beauty and have the freedom to capture it. I was starting to feel more positive about things and then I read an update to the regulations of a country park that is within easy reach from me. This was the first place I flew my FC40 a few years ago, I wouldn't go there during busy holiday periods, but midweek out of season it's just rolling hills and not many people around. This regulation seems to have been enforced across all the parks in Warwickshire and regardless of the CAA rules if the council decide to ban drones then I suppose that's their right. I'm not interested in flying a drone, if it didn't have a camera I wouldn't bother, but now it seems my opportunity to get some special aerial video and photos for my self has been deleted.
30a0ae7f760a0bf874a6acad444ce089.jpg
solutely crazy

I was flying in an open space near Hemel Hempstead, Herts the other day and a policeman came over to me and said I might want to stop flying as they were about to blow up a hand grenade they had found. He said the explosion might damage the Mavic. The policeman said is that a Mavic, and I showed him my new DJI Goggles, and he was impressed.
I stopped, waited about 20 minutes while they exploded the grenade about 150 metres away, quite a bang.
I then continued flying.
So no ban on flying and a friendly policeman.

If in doubt don't ask as it is easy to say no, but I'm sure it's OK in Hertfordshire, except National Trust do not let you fly any electric on their estates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143