DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time for a reality check, so where can I fly?

I was flying in an open space near Hemel Hempstead, Herts the other day and a policeman came over to me and said I might want to stop flying as they were about to blow up a hand grenade they had found. He said the explosion might damage the Mavic. The policeman said is that a Mavic, and I showed him my new DJI Goggles, and he was impressed.
I stopped, waited about 20 minutes while they exploded the grenade about 150 metres away, quite a bang.
I then continued flying.
So no ban on flying and a friendly policeman.

If in doubt don't ask as it is easy to say no, but I'm sure it's OK in Hertfordshire, except National Trust do not let you fly any electric on their estates.

Thank you for that. I think most of the 'rules' are made up or just wrong. I am yet to get that phone call from the council.

I was flying in an open space near Hemel Hempstead, Herts the other day and a policeman came over to me and said I might want to stop flying as they were about to blow up a hand grenade they had found. He said the explosion might damage the Mavic. The policeman said is that a Mavic, and I showed him my new DJI Goggles, and he was impressed.
I stopped, waited about 20 minutes while they exploded the grenade about 150 metres away, quite a bang.
I then continued flying.
So no ban on flying and a friendly policeman.

If in doubt don't ask as it is easy to say no, but I'm sure it's OK in Hertfordshire, except National Trust do not let you fly any electric on their estates.
That's cool. As for National Trust is not about flying over but taking off and landing on their property. Lying over you take off outside is legal and out of their control.

There are a bunch of web sites that say where you can and can't fly in the UK. UK law generally lets you overfly people's property as long as you don't cause a nuisance and follow CAA regulations. So the question is where can you take off and land.

A lot of good places to take off are off-limits, e.g. the Royal Parks ban drones. I say ban the Royal Family. Surprisingly perhaps, but a lot of good places I have found to take off and land are low usage car parks and the top floor of multi-storey carparks. Also ask friends if you can use their back garden. When push comes to shove, just choose a place where nobody is paying attention, get your gear out quickly and crank it swiftly upto 400ft.

Reactions: Derlisz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki