DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for Distance test?

Gmgfarrand

Reactions
Keep it low, stay out of sport mode, use fresh battery.
Do all those sound right? What else?

Reactions: Odom1957
All good. I keep it low as possible then gain altitude as the signal degrades the further out I go. It becomes a balancing act adjusting altitude when needed. Having a good handle on aviation weather helps by knowing what to expect with air flow at higher altitudes. I have tested wind speed and direction before long distance missions. We use AirData to analyze windspeed and direction by taking the bird straight up to our expected peak altitude operation. Bring it back down and upload the flight data to their site for immediate analysis.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have found that daybreak is the best time for calm wind conditions in my area. I have also found that running mine along the coast as opposed to across a body of water tends to work better for me. I can usually fly all the way at very low altitudes, like 10'-20'.

I use a waypoint mission and set the speed so i can just sit and wait for the AC to return.

Turn off sensors and do not record video on SD, these can save you a bit more juice...

I didn't think about the sensors, but I only do screen recording on my phone when distance testing using DU Recorder.

I think I'll be doing another distance run soon trying that! I've only made it 21,300' so far.

Ive also heard that the 5in1 chargers hot charge the batteries if you replug them or something. Maybe someone has more info on that too.

I'd check alternate landing sites just in case, and brush up on the procedures to be sure you actually shut the drone down should you need to land somewhere and not end up letting it try to RTH itself.

Also agree to being very sure about windspeed and direction not just at ground level but whatever level you are flying at as well. You don't want to turn around at what you think is about half battery and then realize you have a huge headwind.

Always fly out into any wind and take small steps till you
see just how you do. Fly with as little of noise as possible.
Be sure your RTH is high enough to clear anything coming back if used. Also know where you are good cause if you have to land if your battery loses power before you make it
back you can land on a flat spot then go get it.
Like if you see you are not look for a place then land.

I'd check alternate landing sites just in case, and brush up on the procedures to be sure you actually shut the drone down should you need to land somewhere and not end up letting it try to RTH itself.

Also agree to being very sure about windspeed and direction not just at ground level but whatever level you are flying at as well. You don't want to turn around at what you think is about half battery and then realize you have a huge headwind.

Yeah, did that on Friday....

Thats what rth is .From where you stop straight back to HP .

I read somewhere that there were different behaviors for RTH, and that it followed the flight path in reverse back to starting point, which is NOT helpful. :)

Best rule of thumb, fly out into the wind and back with the wind. You always get your bird back.

Reactions: Cbslagle
I read somewhere that there were different behaviors for RTH, and that it followed the flight path in reverse back to starting point, which is NOT helpful. :)
Lies, I tell ya! All lies. :) My description above is accurate. Do the smart thing and test it. Fly a wonky path out to 1,000ft, then hit RTH. All of your questions and concerns will be answered.

Last edited:
Stay out of wifi conjestion, DON'T use those signal booster things (utter garbage, I'll do a video about them) sports mode is fine though, just nukes battery.

And rth takes straightest path home at rth height, so just make sure that's above any obstructions in your line of site.

Stay out of wifi conjestion, DON'T use those signal booster things (utter garbage, I'll do a video about them) sports mode is fine though, just nukes battery.

And rth takes straightest path home at rth height, so just make sure that's above any obstructions in your line of site.

Which boosters? The ones that slide over the Antenna or something like the RAPTOR. (I ordered one of the latter)

The RTH will always be a straight path, no matter what manner of RTH it uses.

Also, if your aircraft is above the RTH altitude, then it won't descend on it's way back. Same goes for obstacles. If it senses an obstacle, then it elevates above it and continues at new altitude, unless you turned on horizontal obstacle avoidance, which is asking for a disaster!

Which boosters? The ones that slide over the Antenna or something like the RAPTOR. (I ordered one of the latter)
The slide over ones, not tried the raptor.

To be honest I don't think I could butcher the remote to do the raptor mod [emoji1]

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98