DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for Southwest Roadtrip

Skyace888

Reactions
Hi all!

Doing a roadtrip in the Southwest roundtrip from Vegas towards the end of December. Planning to hit Bryce and Zion parks. May also do Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Scottsdale, Phoenix, etc. Was wondering what tips folks here have on where to fly my Mavic Air. I know that I'm not allowed to fly in any of the national parks so wondering if it even makes sense to take it on this trip.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share!

Of course take it! There are a lot of other places to fly that can be just as good. Just talk to locals. Now you can take off and land 3 feet from the park boundary, and then fly in. That is legal, but all the real neat stuff is more than the flight time of the battery (and beyond LOS) will allow. There is plenty to photo/video out the U.S.

Take it. You'll be glad you did*.....

* with apologies to Allstate....

Southwest of which country? Oh yes its America ;) - other countries do exist of course :)

I had thought by the title it was the southwest of UK ... looking forward to seeing what you get up to...

Reactions: rcookie
Hi all!

Doing a roadtrip in the Southwest roundtrip from Vegas towards the end of December. Planning to hit Bryce and Zion parks. May also do Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Scottsdale, Phoenix, etc. Was wondering what tips folks here have on where to fly my Mavic Air. I know that I'm not allowed to fly in any of the national parks so wondering if it even makes sense to take it on this trip.

I would take it. Not sure if you're planning to stay inside the parks but if you look over Airmap, there are a bunch of places to fly at outside NP areas. For example around Zion, the Smithsonian Butte road is a fairly mild unpaved route during dry weather that I'd like to fly at. One side is where the restricted zone starts but there are many places to pull off and launch. I've dispersed camped there. And the drive to Kolob Lake is nice and it looks you can fly around there as well. I guess you have to ask yourself how much time do you want to spend outside the parks to fly at. Or do you want to see the most scenic vistas the parks offer. Takes time to set up to fly but I'd at least take it just in case. Enjoy your trip...neat areas in that neck of the woods.
Smithsonian Butte Rd - Copy.JPGKolob Lake - Copy.JPG

Thanks guys that helps. Guess I’ll probably end up taking it along. Maybe not with all the accessories or 4 batteries though. Got a lot of photo gear and other stuff to bring too... ?

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Hi all!

My first thought? It's going to be very cold out there, especially if you do any night (star) photography. Bring warm clothes, including an ear covering hat, and gloves. Also hand warmers (Amazon).

Try to time part of your trip for the NEW MOON (December 14th) which is, of course, no moon at all and darkest skies to better see the stars and Milky Way southeastern skies. Watch a few Milky Way photography videos. Short course here; sturdy tripod, arrive before dark at your shooting site, wait for first bright star to appear and focus on it with your DSLR and 14-28 mm wide angle fast lens (f1.4) using the LED screen and magnifier. Then turn off auto focus, recompose, and set shutter speed according to test shots- best time around ISO 1200-1400, 15-20 seconds, using cable release. For time lapse, use 15 second intervals. Drive out somewhere to where there are no ambient lights.

Attachments

• 7-20-2020-MilkyWay-PineTree-loRez.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 7-20-2020-MilkyWay-Lightroom-lorez.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: pelagic_one
Be sure to add Sedona if you are in Flagstaff. Beautiful scenery and many drone opportunities in area around town. About 40 Miles south of Flagstaff in beautiful red rock mountains

Definitely take the trip. There is plenty of scenery to photograph from the ground as well as the air.
  • Coral pink Sand Dunes state park (Utah, USA)
  • The Valley leading into Zion Nation Park (Utah, USA)
  • Valley of Fire State park (Nevada, USA)
  • There are some spots along I-15 between St. George and Cedar City, Utah, USA
  • Red Canyon Near Panguitch, Utah, USA (similar to Bryce Canyon)
  • The road between Cedar City and Bryce Canyon National Park (Utah, USA) has quite a few scenic spots.
I don't know what the rules are regarding the state parks. In Utah they vary by park and season. As for the Nevada state park I don't know those rules at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
Thanks again guys. Great tips.

Valley of Fire I’ve done before in summer. Not sure if we’ll go back. Sedona sounds interesting.

No, the answer to the question, "is there a Vegas in the UK".
There is a comedian by the name of Johnny (jonny) Vegas here. UK participants would have got the joke but I guess his fame doesn't quite reach the Philippines!
Was a lighthearted reply.

Is there a Vegas in UK??
sometimes its better to read the post you refer to .... the title never said anything abut Vegas and thats what the post was about - the title of the thread .....

however your attempt at humour is understood ....

Hi all!

Don’t bypass Sedona!
Search “Flying Sedona” and my screen name for examples of video possibilities. The red rock country is great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54