DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for urban photos in middle of the day with "excessive" sunlight, and also on an extremely cloudy day?

superfunkmojo

Reactions
The best time for photos is just before sunset, generally. I'm often taking photos however in the middle of the day, with no clouds, it's not the best lighting conditions. And I'm taking photos of homes, things in the city. Are there any tips on camera settings to make the most of the excessive sunlight? And I have the same question but instead tips on taking photos under a thick layer of cloud, when everything looks a bit gloomy. Thanks for any tips all! Happy flying

Are there any tips on camera settings to make the most of the excessive sunlight?
"Excessive sunlight" isn't a problem.
The range of contrast between brightly lit and deep shadow is the problem.
Watch out for shadows and where possible shoot with the sun behind the camera, so it's lighting the subject.
Shooting against the sun makes things even more difficult.
And I have the same question but instead tips on taking photos under a thick layer of cloud, when everything looks a bit gloomy. Thanks for any tips all! Happy flying
Shooting that kind of subject on an overcast day should be easy.
No shadows, uniform soft lighting without the white areas being burned out.
Shoot from any direction.
Overcast is good,

The best time for photos is just before sunset, generally. I'm often taking photos however in the middle of the day, with no clouds, it's not the best lighting conditions. And I'm taking photos of homes, things in the city. Are there any tips on camera settings to make the most of the excessive sunlight? And I have the same question but instead tips on taking photos under a thick layer of cloud, when everything looks a bit gloomy. Thanks for any tips all! Happy flying
My advice is

Take bracketed exposures and process as HDR. I always take bracketed exposures always. I don’t process them as HDR if it doesn’t end up needing it but it’s good to always have that option.

2) Get an xrite colorchecker. I have the xrite colorchecker passport and it’s great and portable but it’s a little small for such wide lenses on the drones. They make an 8.5x11 version that is actually less expensive and it would be easier to use if the size isn’t a problem.
X-Rite ColorChecker Classic

You take a raw photo of the colorchecker under the lighting you are shooting in and then run it through the software. The software will make you a preset you can use in Lightroom/Photoshop which will make your colors look the same under any lighting conditions. It makes a HUGE difference. You’ll never work without it once you start using it.

Those two things neutralize the effects of the differences in lighting as much as is possible. It does a dang good job.

My advice is

Take bracketed exposures and process as HDR. I always take bracketed exposures always. I don’t process them as HDR if it doesn’t end up needing it but it’s good to always have that option.

2) Get an xrite colorchecker. I have the xrite colorchecker passport and it’s great and portable but it’s a little small for such wide lenses on the drones. They make an 8.5x11 version that is actually less expensive and it would be easier to use if the size isn’t a problem.
X-Rite ColorChecker Classic

You take a raw photo of the colorchecker under the lighting you are shooting in and then run it through the software. The software will make you a preset you can use in Lightroom/Photoshop which will make your colors look the same under any lighting conditions. It makes a HUGE difference. You’ll never work without it once you start using it.

Those two things neutralize the effects of the differences in lighting as much as is possible. It does a dang good job.
Thanks. How to do bracketed exposures on a mini 2? I'll have to look into the colorchecker, sound like a great idea, thanks!

Sir superfunkmojo, what's wrong with early morning or late afternoon?
the light is so much better and would add a lot of character to your photos.
and you'll spend less time in post-processing.
win-win.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er