DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips on flying a HAB Festival

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
My city is hosting a HAB festival next month and it is my intention to email them to offer my services. I am 107 and operate my own business and have been working closely with the city on a few different projects this year. This will be the second annual festival and I believe their aim is to keep this going.

My question is does anyone have any experience doing this and if so what, advice can you give. I plan on emailing them on Monday and if they are interested in my services, asking about speaking with some of the pilots in order to get a feel for their comfort levels and dos & don'ts.

First, if you are flying for your own would you need anyone's permission to fly in this area? Are there any flight or takeoff/landing restrictions in place by FAA, state, or local regulations?
Second, would you be able to fly at this festival and comply with all FAA regulations relating to safety, VLOS, and flights over people, moving vehicles, and general safety over congested areas with no fear of accidents?
Third, do you have sufficient liability insurance to cover accidental damage to people and property?
My suggestion is fly for enjoyment until have sufficient experience trying to make money; leave that to the professionals for now.

• Sad
Reactions: bitsbytes
First, if you are flying for your own would you need anyone's permission to fly in this area? Are there any flight or takeoff/landing restrictions in place by FAA, state, or local regulations?
On a normal day? No, I wouldn't need anyone's permission. I want to use this as a marketing opportunity though and I find that contacting the businesses that put these events on is usually a good practice.

Normally there aren't any restrictions. I plan to ask the operators of the festival if there are any changes to that in my email though.

Second, would you be able to fly at this festival and comply with all FAA regulations relating to safety, VLOS, and flights over people, moving vehicles, and general safety over congested areas with no fear of accidents?
Yes. I know the area well.

Third, do you have sufficient liability insurance to cover accidental damage to people and property?
Yes. I am fully insured.

My suggestion is fly for enjoyment until have sufficient experience trying to make money; leave that to the professionals for now.
Where in my post did I lead you to believe that I don't have experience trying to make money and that I'm not a professional? I do all kinds of jobs. See my avatar image? That was taken offshore last month flying for Occidental Petroleum doing flare boom and fugitive gas inspections. Your condescension is noted though.

My question was more about dealing with proximity to the balloons and how they operate/ maneuver. Or maybe if anyone has ever had any input from a HAB pilot regarding this.

Last edited:
Reactions: okw and Red_Pyro
Where in my post did I lead you to believe that I don't have experience trying to make money and that I'm not a professional? I do all kinds of jobs. See my avatar image? That was taken offshore last month flying for Occidental Petroleum doing flare boom and fugitive gas inspections. Your condescension is noted though.

My question was more about dealing with proximity to the balloons and how they operate/ maneuver. Or maybe if anyone has ever had any input from a HAB pilot regarding this.
As your question was broad with no background or experience stated. the answer was also very general.

As your question was broad with no background or experience stated. the answer was also very general.
Maybe you should re-read my original post. I clearly state that I’m 107, own my own business, and have worked in conjunction with the city on multiple projects just this year. My question had nothing to do with whether I should operate a business or not.

The question was specifically about anyone having experience flying for Hot Air Balloon (HAB) Festivals. This isn’t something that happens on a daily basis, so I was looking to see if anyone had done this and could offer any tips.

My answers to you were general because your reply had nothing to do with my actual question. I’m looking for advice on flying for a Hot Air Ballon show.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Your original plan is sound. If you do get permission, talk with the pilots for their input. They may want specific shots, or to be excluded.

You will of coarse need permission.
I think I would use the Air2s or phantom before the Matrice ( nice! ) if possible. Its much less intimidating.
You will want to fly as far away from the crowd as possible and use zoom.
Insurance is a must and I don't think they would even consider letting you do this without it.
You will need more than a couple of people looking around so that you don't accidentally fly over people walking around.
Also request that you be in communication with those responsible for safety at the event for your piece of mind and theirs.

I think I would use the Air2s or phantom before the Matrice ( nice! ) if possible. Its much less intimidating.
Oh absolutely. I was going to use the Air2s for sure. Unless I get the Air 3 before the show.

Insurance is a must and I don't think they would even consider letting you do this without it.
Agreed and I've made sure that everything is current and will be current through the weekend of the show.

You will need more than a couple of people looking around so that you don't accidentally fly over people walking around.
I plan on having at least 2 VOs

Also request that you be in communication with those responsible for safety at the event for your piece of mind and theirs.
Good point. Ill save that until we get further into talks.

Thanks for the input!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1