DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips, tricks or common issues?

Having played with cheaper drones, and only one with GPS, I have seen what he wind can do with these things and this one being so small and light, I will keep the flying to calm days no matter what.

Wanna hear something funny everyone? I got the drone package today and BAM, power goes out for scheduled maintenance. No battery charging for me today. haha

By the way, love how other questions are coming in. Great way to get an inside scoop on things others have questions about that I wouldn't think of.

Thanks everyone!
You don't have to go as far as only calm days. The Mini handles much better than a typical cheap drone. I would agree not to fly when gusts exceed 20mph, but you still have sport mode to fall back on for extra ability against wind.

Of course you can't totally rely on sport mode or descent. If you lose signal, it will go into RTH which is normal speed limits, and possibly elevation back into higher winds.

So, power was restored after the maintenance period and the batteries are charging. Today is the big day!!! I will be going past an area that is named "swing arm city" and it is becoming well known in the off road dirt bike/atv world for being a premium place to ride. It consists of a soft, grey powder surface and NOTHING grows on it. This will be my first test flight area. Will probably set the height at 400 feet and distance at 1000 feet to get a feel for that kind of flying. It's going to be weird flying thru the screen, but that is the perfect "wide open space" to give her a try. If she drops out of the sky, I can drive/hike to it to retrieve.

My last GPS drone could get a signal of 19 sats. We'll see how this one does. Nope, I'm not excited at all! haha

Others mentioned it, but....
DO NOT rely on Return To Home. It is a fall-back mode and "failsafe".
If there is any problem with wind-floataway etc... drop height/get the drone oriented to your own position [ the "home" of that moment]/ and attempt a visual return if at all possible... "Sport Mode" if it helps.
If you simply can't get back, it would be better to drop down, pick some remote location orientation identifiers and do a bailout landing rather than lose the drone.
[even if it is a good way away, a 360° remote location orientation spin should let you get over there and find the drone before the battery goes flatline]

Got out and flew it this morning. I'm impressed.
Went thru the start up list you guys provided. Thanks again!
Had 19 sats connected to it.
Absolutely calm. Took it up about 80 meters and took it out about 300 meters.
The flight was flawless. I love this little thing. Now time to share the videos!

Great to hear of your good first flight experience. This is one fun drone with many capabilities for it's price point. A good value. We look forward to seeing the camera work from your part of the world. Wish you well.

Reactions: dajain
So, quick question. what is a good option for uploading the videos so I can share the link here? You tube said it would take 3 hours to load an 8 minute video and it locks down my internet to a stand still.

Maybe it's just my internet speed. That's probably more like definetly.

Maybe I'll do the Youtube and hope the video loads by morning. haha

I made a shortcut on my iPhone after seeing someone else post it up.
1. 100% brightness
2. Set volume to 100%
3. Turn on do not disturb
4. Turn on airplane mode
5.Turn WiFi off
6. Open DJI app.

I made another shortcut in reverse when done!

Possibly. Why you need to know the laws where you fly and consider carrying a copy or having it on your phone.

Reminds me of the video of some guy stopped by an officer and refusing to show his ID stating the law says he doesn't have to while being wrestled to the ground. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Khayman
Of course, most NPs are huge so taking off near one wouldn't get you very far inside due to battery limitations, so they have succeeded in limiting UAVs videoing the "good stuff" inside their boundaries. I have worked in Yellowstone NP, so living inside the park & spending a lot of free time there, I know many "secret" places I could launch my MP. In these backwoods spots, I could video some fabulous sights without "disturbing" the tourists or the animals but then I would be doing something I knew was illegal. It would be fun to try but sure wouldn't want to get caught... IMHO...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne