DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

to FPV or not?

Don't know what you're looking at to come at 4 grand unless you're intentionally looking for the most expensive sources possible for some reason but the Ayn is $200ish on backorder, supposed to be widely available in September and a set of DJI Goggles on eBay is about that as well, which puts the total at about half of what it was before when the only option was the smartcontroller that seems to never go below 600ish. There are some Fatshark goggles with HDMI in, and probably another lot of box goggles out there, haven't looked in quite some time.

Your only solution without an HDMI port on the device is wireless screen sharing, period.

This is what I found when I search for the device:

"
Odin: The Ultimate Gaming Handheld
Flagship gaming handheld. FHD 1080p 6" touch screen. 6600 mAh battery.
fd6cqzcfliaolrqjoqlu

AYN Technologies
1 Campaign |
Shenzhen, China
$3,869,735 USD by 11,260 backers
$629,702 USD by 2,052 backers on Oct 3, 2021"

Did you mean a different product?

Thx

No, but it seems that the "subtelty" of there being more than 20 different currencies called "dollar" while having nothing else than the name in common to the US dollar might have eluded you. The prices on the campaign page are in Hong Kong dollars.
It even shows the conversion to your local currency right there.

1659978406382.png

No, but it seems that the "subtelty" of there being more than 20 different currencies called "dollar" while having nothing else than the name in common to the US dollar might have eluded you. The prices on the campaign page are in Hong Kong dollars.
It even shows the conversion to your local currency right there.

View attachment 153014
Yup, sure enough, I never would have guessed that.

So, that moves it back into the realm of possibility, although buying a new device isn't really the solution that I'm looking for. But it's an option.

Thx.

lol. I had a Mavic pro with the white DJI goggles several years ago and I Loved them but I would definitely get a little queasy and belly sick while flying at higher elevations... lol. Very Fun but a little scary sometimes.. Its a GREAT option for any drone if its capable but just be forewarned. I totally see myself getting another pair of goggles in the new year when I get the Mavic 3. Currently, my Mini 2 will not support the DJI goggles. I know I could get some aftermarket nonsense that you stick the phone in but Im not going there. I just ordered a Tripltek 8 pro so I DONT have to use my phone.

lol. I had a Mavic pro with the white DJI goggles several years ago and I Loved them but I would definitely get a little queasy and belly sick while flying at higher elevations... lol. Very Fun but a little scary sometimes.. Its a GREAT option for any drone if its capable but just be forewarned. I totally see myself getting another pair of goggles in the new year when I get the Mavic 3. Currently, my Mini 2 will not support the DJI goggles. I know I could get some aftermarket nonsense that you stick the phone in but Im not going there. I just ordered a Tripltek 8 pro so I DONT have to use my phone.
You may find this video amusing...

:)

TCS

• Wow
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
You may find this video amusing...

:)

TCS
"Amusing?" Ugh. This video was enough to DEFINATLEY sell me on NOT getting the FPV. lol. I was queasy just watching this... Nope. Notta. Zip. Sold on the Mavic 3 without a doubt, now! That FPV thing is straight LUNACY. lol.

"Amusing?" Ugh. This video was enough to DEFINATLEY sell me on NOT getting the FPV. lol. I was queasy just watching this... Nope. Notta. Zip. Sold on the Mavic 3 without a doubt, now! That FPV thing is straight LUNACY. lol.
1660000378305.png

And I don't even fly crazy, no acro, none of that. I just zip around fast and play with the rocks, teasing them to jump out at me. Which, fortunately, they haven't done...yet...

I never get the slightest bit queasy, just like I don't with fixed wing planes, even when I DO fly them crazy.

I'll tell you what, though, If I move my head...like lifting it up, because I tend to look down when I'm flying the FPV in fast turns...instant quease! It's easy enough to fix...just stop doing both those things at the same time.

And this vid is only in Sport mode! Once I get better with Manual mode, I'll tease the rocks a good bit faster...

1660000676719.png

View attachment 153040

And I don't even fly crazy, no acro, none of that. I just zip around fast and play with the rocks, teasing them to jump out at me. Which, fortunately, they haven't done...yet...

I never get the slightest bit queasy, just like I don't with fixed wing planes, even when I DO fly them crazy.

I'll tell you what, though, If I move my head...like lifting it up, because I tend to look down when I'm flying the FPV in fast turns...instant quease! It's easy enough to fix...just stop doing both those things at the same time.

And this vid is only in Sport mode! Once I get better with Manual mode, I'll tease the rocks a good bit faster...

View attachment 153041
I play (as an old man) MSFS2020 on my Series X and THAT makes me gasp sometimes...lol. Of course, that's a GREAT "game" for Oldtimers but I guess its easy to get me scared of heights. I normally only fly my Mini 2 at about 200 ft and thats WAY TOO MUCH for me but dont have a choice. Who buys a drone like this and stays playing with it at 30 ft? lol

Its all about the Photography for me, I guess.

I play (as an old man) MSFS2020 on my Series X and THAT makes me gasp sometimes...lol. Of course, that's a GREAT "game" for Oldtimers but I guess its easy to get me scared of heights. I normally only fly my Mini 2 at about 200 ft and thats WAY TOO MUCH for me but dont have a choice. Who buys a drone like this and stays playing with it at 30 ft? lol

Its all about the Photography for me, I guess.
All of my Minis routinely fly above 1000 ft, which I can legally do by climbing up the opposite wall of my canyon, always under 400 ft AGL.

I have a horrible fear of heights if I look over the edge of a deep, steep canyon, or a tall building, but that fear has never spilled over into flying aircraft.

For me, it's all about the flying!

:cool:

I'm considering picking up the DJI FPV combo, I'm referring to the racing drone that has the 3-blade propeller, to avoid confusing with flying a Mavic with FPV goggles. I've been flying a Mavic Pro for years and really enjoy the DJI goggles. I'm debating whether I really need the FPV racing drone, as my Mavic Pro is already modded to go 55 mph and much faster ascends and descends. I already fly with DJI goggles. I understand the racing drone is a whole new level, with much faster speeds, maneuverability, stunts. I don't see myself dedicating so much time to it that I'll get anywhere near pro FPV pilot level, but still I think I would like the stealth speed. Those of you who have it, do you find yourselves flying FPV (or more correctly - racing) drone than the Mavic? I was never much into cinematic filming anyway, but more into testing the Mavic's capabilities and different modes of flying.
Wait for the Avata if you are still interested and haven’t already purchased a dji FPV

Wait for the Avata if you are still interested and haven’t already purchased a dji FPV
I'm curious...why would you say that?

I just got a new job, and when I get my first check, I'll be in the market for a new drone as well.

I already have the DJI FPV, and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a second one, so that I can give people demo rides. All I'd really need for that would be the goggles, but they cost enough bought separately, that it would make more sense to just get a new combo, and have a spare aircraft in addition to the extra goggles.

Or, I might get a Mini-3.

Or, I might get the Avata. What advantage do you see to the Avata, vs the existing DJI FPV?

Thx.

I'm curious...why would you say that?

I just got a new job, and when I get my first check, I'll be in the market for a new drone as well.

I already have the DJI FPV, and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a second one, so that I can give people demo rides. All I'd really need for that would be the goggles, but they cost enough bought separately, that it would make more sense to just get a new combo, and have a spare aircraft in addition to the extra goggles.

Or, I might get a Mini-3.

Or, I might get the Avata. What advantage do you see to the Avata, vs the existing DJI FPV?

Thx.
Ducted props more than anything else.

Avata looks more durable, smaller for transport and for tighter spaces, ducted props, more like a true racing FPV, and more… in my opinion the Avata is better than the bigger FPV but personal preference

Avata looks more durable, smaller for transport and for tighter spaces, ducted props, more like a true racing FPV, and more… in my opinion the Avata is better than the bigger FPV but personal preference
It's not out yet, how can you know?

Will certainly have its advantages but no doubt it's also going to be more limited. As with anything DJI you're not going to want to crash it so probably still not going to be for "racing".

Ducted props more than anything else.
Is that useful for anything other than flying indoors, or in close proximity to people?

I don't do either of those things, but if you do, I can see where the ducted props would be useful.

Thx

OK.

It sounds like the Avata is designed for people who do kinds of flying that have no interest for me.

To each his own, but I'll delete the Avata from my "new drone" choices based on this.

Thx

It's not out yet, how can you know?

Will certainly have its advantages but no doubt it's also going to be more limited. As with anything DJI you're not going to want to crash it so probably still not going to be for "racing".
Informed speculation?

As you know, the specs, pictures, and a few videos are out there. Not like we're feeling around in total darkness. 😁

And back to the subject, ducting the props makes the single biggest difference between banging into things and continuing on, vs crashing.

After a bit, this has a profound impact on one's paranoia about crashing and damaging the drone. It mostly goes away, and with justification take more risks and fly in tighter spaces with confidence.

Close in awesomeness is having GPS and RTH... much harder to lose it. I was just about to upgrade an iFlight whoop that I have to add a compass/GPS module, but now I'm getting one of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Merrick
Is that useful for anything other than flying indoors, or in close proximity to people?

I don't do either of those things, but if you do, I can see where the ducted props would be useful.
It's necessary to fly close to anything and negotiate cluttered environments.

Where you live I would not fly the DJI FPV sedately cruising around in the trees, maybe follow up a creek for ways, and so many other explorations in the forest. I'd be too worried I'd crash.

I have several tiny whoops, and I'd explore ANYWHERE with those guys. Even if you do hit something bad enough to drop to the ground, the props will be fine, if necessary you can use the flip maneuver to right it, and then take off again.

I've really enjoyed cruising close to treetop with a whoop, definitely a thrill I'd never risk with the DJI FPV.

The price of entry is also modest since you already have the FPV. It's never been this good with DJI.

OK.

It sounds like the Avata is designed for people who do kinds of flying that have no interest for me.

To each his own, but I'll delete the Avata from my "new drone" choices based on this.
Well, you've got to be the only existing drone pilot uninterested in doing this:

Would you try flying most of that with the DJI FPV? I wouldn't.

I'd fly those paths without a second thought with an Avata.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78