DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Hot To Fly!

MattThorne87

Reactions
Here in Ottawa today , it reached 36C feeling like 48C. Being Canada day , I wanted to get a shot of our group at a get together . Turned it on , checked the battery temp which showed normal temperatures . I Launched it and as soon I started to ascend , I started having problems right away , especially when it was more exposed to sun . The dji app would constantly go in and out of connection , video was extremely choppy and my gimbal wasn’t responsive at all . Immedialty took the drone down. Checked the battery temp and it was at 51C - 122F . So safe to say , don’t fly in hot weather!

Reactions: mad monkey
Im doing a test this week that will involve chilling batteries before flying. It might allow for at least short flight times before the battery has reached it's upper range.

Reactions: Pietros
One of the reasons I selected the white canopy was because I theorized that it would be better in the hot sun. I wonder if it makes a difference? Thoughts?

On a flight this afternoon, OAT was 86F (30C) at end of flight battery temp was 140 F (60C). It seems batteries are extremely sensitive to warm OAT. However, I saw no negative effects on aircraft operation.

Reactions: Former Member
On a flight this afternoon, OAT was 86F (30C) at end of flight battery temp was 140 F (60C). It seems batteries are extremely sensitive to warm OAT. However, I saw no negative effects on aircraft operation.

Check for battery puffing. If it still slides in and out of the Mavic, and latches down on both sides, you might have gotten lucky. If the battery looks distorted or wont fit, it's time to replace it.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Wait a min!!!! 100 degrees F in CANADA?!?!

I'm in Florida and it isn't that hot here...YET!

I like to stand under a tree, wear a hat, bring a cool towel to wear around my neck, and keep hydrated.

Here in Georgia, it might only be 88°, but with 79% humidity, the realfeel is around 100°. Out in AZ, todays temps expected will be 107° with realfeel of 110°.

When I race RC cars, we are sitting out there under a canopy for 8-10 hours with no A/C except for when I run back to my car for 30 minutes or so. I keep 1 or 2 portable fans on my table.

Wait a min!!!! 100 degrees F in CANADA?!?!

I'm in Florida and it isn't that hot here...YET!

Many places in Canada regularly get to 30+ C (86-104F roughly) in the summer. I'm in Alberta and it's going to be 31C on Friday (88F). Even in May we had 30+C temps. Out East and West with the humidity you can easily see much higher. It's not all Igloos and snow up here ;)

Last edited:
Check for battery puffing. If it still slides in and out of the Mavic, and latches down on both sides, you might have gotten lucky. If the battery looks distorted or wont fit, it's time to replace it.
Thank you for the info. Battery seems to fit fine. As we used to say all the time in the military . . . "we'll fly it and watch it".

Many places in Canada regularly get to 30+ C (86-104F roughly) in the summer. I'm in Alberta and it's going to be 31C on Friday (88F). Even in May we had 30+C temps. Out East and West with the humidity you can easily see much higher. It's not all Igloos and snow up here ;)

But you’d agree it’s crazy hot there right?

Im doing a test this week that will involve chilling batteries before flying. It might allow for at least short flight times before the battery has reached it's upper range.
Batteries can loose power when chilled so be very careful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU