DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To register or not to register

jfwag3

Reactions
I'm new to drones and recently purchased a Dji Mini 2. At only 249 grams it falls under the registration requirement. However, most everything I read or video I watch recommends registering the drone. I'm flying just for recreational purposes, but is there any advantage to registering?

I'm new to drones and recently purchased a Dji Mini 2. At only 249 grams it falls under the registration requirement. However, most everything I read or video I watch recommends registering the drone. I'm flying just for recreational purposes, but is there any advantage to registering?
If you aren't flying a drone that requires registration, there's no advantage in registering.

If you add anything such as prop guards, strobes, or probably a lens filter, it may push the take off weight past 249 grams.

It's only five dollars and the registration numbers are good for any additional drones you may have in the future.

I have two drones and share the same number.

No advantage, however, if you do register another drone, you can use the same number for them all so I guess no reason not to if you have another drone that's over this limit.

In my trainings and talks, I always suggest people go ahead and register their recreational <250g drones.

The reasons are very simple.

First, it's only $5. And if you already have your recreational registration, it's free since you simply add that existing number to the drone.

Second, it's a cheap insurance against a possible if you're ever in a discussion with law enforcement (or even private security) when someone calls in a drone complaint (it happens frequently). Not ever LEO (and very few private security) know of the <250g exemption for drone registration. You can show them the number, and it's all good. You can even take that chance to explain the actual rule, and mention that most people don't understand that rule, so you decided to play it safe.

So yes, I strongly advise you to register it. There is zero downside unless you count the $5 as downside.

In my trainings and talks, I always suggest people go ahead and register their recreational <250g drones.

The reasons are very simple.

First, it's only $5. And if you already have your recreational registration, it's free since you simply add that existing number to the drone.

Second, it's a cheap insurance against a possible if you're ever in a discussion with law enforcement (or even private security) when someone calls in a drone complaint (it happens frequently). Not ever LEO (and very few private security) know of the <250g exemption for drone registration. You can show them the number, and it's all good. You can even take that chance to explain the actual rule, and mention that most people don't understand that rule, so you decided to play it safe.

So yes, I strongly advise you to register it. There is zero downside unless you count the $5 as downside.
I’m not so sure this reasoning works. Contact with LE is likely to result from a citizen who doesn’t care about your registration status. He/she will just be annoyed you are flying over or near their property.

From my perspective as a retired LEO, showing the responding officer you are flying a voluntarily registered drone will do nothing to appease him or the complainant.

I agree there seems to be no downside to voluntary registration, but smoothing things with the public or the police is not a viable up side either.

Reactions: Meta4
I’m not so sure this reasoning works. Contact with LE is likely to result from a citizen who doesn’t care about your registration status. He/she will just be annoyed you are flying over or near their property.

From my perspective as a retired LEO, showing the responding officer you are flying a voluntarily registered drone will do nothing to appease him or the complainant.

I agree there seems to be no downside to voluntary registration, but smoothing things with the public or the police is not a viable up side either.
I train LEO for the FAA. I speak from experience.

Also, it's not about appeasing the complainant, it's about showing the LEO that it's registered. That way you don't have to explain why it isn't registered to the LEO.

And it's always a viable upside to smoothing things over with a responding LEO. Always.

I train LEO for the FAA. I speak from experience.

Also, it's not about appeasing the complainant, it's about showing the LEO that it's registered. That way you don't have to explain why it isn't registered to the LEO.

And it's always a viable upside to smoothing things over with a responding LEO. Always.
I agree - my response was poorly worded - it’s always smart to cooperate with and try to smooth things over with LE responders and the complainants. What I meant to say is voluntarily registering a drone has limited ability to do that. From the street cops perspective, primary consideration is given to clearing the call. Things might be handled differently by an FAA trained LEO but how many of those are out there??? Your chances of getting a cop who knows little to nothing about this new area of law are far greater than being confronted by an expert in the field

I agree - my response was poorly worded - it’s always smart to cooperate with and try to smooth things over with LE responders and the complainants. What I meant to say is voluntarily registering a drone has limited ability to do that. From the street cops perspective, primary consideration is given to clearing the call. Things might be handled differently by an FAA trained LEO but how many of those are out there??? Your chances of getting a cop who knows little to nothing about this new area of law are far greater than being confronted by an expert in the field
I had to actually write the FAASTeam training for LEO callouts. I was asked to do some training for what to do (and just as important, what they can't do) when you have to go out on a drone call. It didn't exist. I worked with my FAA LEAP Agent and crafted something.

Once CBOs are officially recognized, I'll finish it and unload it to the FAA's safety site.

Lack of training for LEOs is part of the problem. Hopefully this will help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada