DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Register or not to Register?

• Thread starter FormerMember07122019_2
  • Start date
I understand your logic. The hitch may be that some states have a law which says people may fly drones in accordance with all applicable FAA rules and guidelines. I am thinking that LEO likely has right to ask to see registration on drone in such a state.
Exactly, I think several states are considering such laws right now. To my knowledge none have passed...... yet

A local cop can ask to see anything they want, doesn’t mean you have to show them. FEDERALLY required registration is something your local beat cop has no jurisdiction over and has no business asking about any more than he can break out a calculator and demand to audit your 1040 tax return.

So if I land my airplane at the airport and a cop comes up to the plane and says someone reported his house was buzzed by me, I don’t have to show him my pilots license when he asks?

So if I land my airplane at the airport and a cop comes up to the plane and says someone reported his house was buzzed by me, I don’t have to show him my pilots license when he asks?
Unless a state or local govt has passed a law against “buzzing” houses with a manned aircraft that I don’t know about, I would say no.....
Any other reductio ad absurdum arguments you want to make??

Like I said in my original post, you can show a cop anything you want. It’s your choice.

Unless a state or local govt has passed a law against “buzzing” houses with a manned aircraft that I don’t know about, I would say no.....
Any other reductio ad absurdum arguments you want to make??

Like I said in my original post, you can show a cop anything you want. It’s your choice.

I’m not making an argument. Just asked a question. Geez. I really am curious.

Since they have no legal standing to enforce federal regulations, I just have no interest in talking to them about whether or not I registered with the FAA.

Think about all the incidents we've seen where there's a violation of 49 U.S. Code § 46504 - Interference with flight crew members and attendants. Who generally shows up to remove and arrest the passenger for violating a federal law? Local law enforcement.

Think about all the incidents we've seen where there's a violation of 49 U.S. Code § 46504 - Interference with flight crew members and attendants. Who generally shows up to remove and arrest the passenger for violating a federal law? Local law enforcement.
In the post 9/11 world, the “Holland Security” umbrella covers many situations that combine local and federal law enforcement. The modern airport is one of these. It’s the price l states and localities have to pay in exchange for the endless flood of money the Feds have pumped in. Since airports in the US are typically owned and operated by cities or counties then local law enforcement is basically “deputized” in cases such as these but if these people, who are being removed from flights, are eventually prosecuted for a criminal offense it is NOT happening in a state court.
And NON of this has anything to do with a traffic cop demanding to see your FAA drone registration at the local park.

For everyone else....
The FAA has specifically stated local law enforcement has the authority to request to see your drone registration. You're required to have it with your aircraft at all times you're flying and present it upon request. It can be paper copy or digital. This is spelled out in multiple FAA releases.

Anyhow, fly safe and fly smart. Aloha! [emoji1687]

The FAA has specifically stated local law enforcement has the authority to request to see your drone registration
Just stop already. The FAA/USDOT does not have the ability to bestow such powers upon state and local law-enforcement. I’m not saying it can’t be done but if local government wants to mirror federal law/regulations, they have to do it the old-fashioned way.

$5 and about 5 minutes to register.

$27,500 fine for not registering. $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 3 years if criminally charged.
Hi all, I am new to this. I registered my Mavic Air but did not receive a registration number. Any reason why that may be? Flying in Florida.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am new to this. I registered my Mavic Air but did not receive a registration number. Any reason why that may be? Flying in Florida.
Go back to the FAA Drone Registration website and sign in.

Register Your Drone

You can print/view your registration there.

Here is a story of a guy who got arrested for not doing anything illegal whatsoever with a drone. Granted that it was probably unwize but didn't seem he flew it directly over people's head like they made it out to sound like and he launched it from outside of the the fairgrounds. So what did he get arrested for?
Flying drone at State Fair lands Raleigh man in jail :: WRAL.com

He was arrested because he brought attention to himself by flying the UsAS over the State Fair which people attend en masse and some of those people were undoubtedly not under a covered structure which would have allowed them protection from falling objects. After the authorities investigated the flyer they determined that he had a Schedule II controlled substance and paraphernalia. Judging by the location that Schedule II controlled substance was more than likely Crystal Meth and a pipe to smoke it with.

Possession of the Schedule II controlled substance is a crime.

Flying while intoxicated as a "hobby" pilot is also a crime as far as the FAA is concerned. Its a roundabout way of stating it .

Recreational Drone or Model Aircraft Operators
Part 101 does not specifically prohibit drinking in droning, but…… it does say

§ 101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.

“No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.”

Depending on which FAA inspector you run into and the facts of the situation, drunk droning could be considered to be endangering the national airspace.

Furthermore, Part 101 is applicable to a model aircraft “that meets all of the following conditions” of Part 101 such as the requirement to operate the “aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines[.]” The Academy of Model Aeronautics Safety Code does NOT allow a person to operate a drone under the influence of drugs or alcohol. RCAPA safety guidelines also don’t allow drinking and droning. I do not know of any community based organization that allows this.

Source:Don't Drink and Drone - FAA Regulations on Drones & Alcohol -

Here's my thoughts... Display FAA reg numbers properly. Carry your reg card. If law asks to see it, offer it. Ask politely if they would like you to stop your current activities. If so, do so. Go someplace else with your drone that you will still have in your possession, and your personal freedom and liberty outside of a squad car or jail cell, and enjoy the rest of your day !

Reactions: dronerdave
I have all contact info on my AC. If I cause an issue flying I can and will be found. More $$$ gov. regulations.
Im sure its nice to have a tail number I guess. If someone finds my downed AC with only a tail number chances are I wont be contacted. I only fly in unpopulated areas anyway.

Here is a story of a guy who got arrested for not doing anything illegal whatsoever with a drone. Granted that it was probably unwize but didn't seem he flew it directly over people's head like they made it out to sound like and he launched it from outside of the the fairgrounds. So what did he get arrested for?
Flying drone at State Fair lands Raleigh man in jail :: WRAL.com

Nothing wrong?

He also was charged with possession of a Schedule II controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.”

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said deputies noticed a drone equipped with a camera buzzing over the fairgrounds (Was it over people?) Wednesday night”

:rolleyes:Really?

Hi All,

Just got my Mavic 2 Pro at Christmas and I am new to drones. Been flying a little and trying to get comfortable with it while having lots of fun. I am planning on registering my drone but was curious what are the pros and cons. Is there a good reason not to do it?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Ken
It's the law. All drones under 55 pounds and greater 0.55 pounds must register. If you're only a hobbyist, you register yourself, no matter how many drones you have. If you're a Part 107 commercial pilot, you must register ever drone that you use to generate $$. The only legit place to register is FAADroneZone. It's only $5 for a hobbyist. Avoid the Google search results. Most of the returns are for rip off places that try to scare you into sending more money than necessary. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Thomas B
It's the law. All drones under 55 pounds and greater 0.55 pounds must register. If you're only a hobbyist, you register yourself, no matter how many drones you have. If you're a Part 107 commercial pilot, you must register ever drone that you use to generate $$. The only legit place to register is FAADroneZone. It's only $5 for a hobbyist. Avoid the Google search results. Most of the returns are for rip off places that try to scare you into sending more money than necessary. Hope this helps.
As above. While I am unaware it has happened yet, FAA could fine up to $27.5k/incident. You must also display the number on your drone(s) for hobbyists one registration covers all your drones... easy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro