DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To those who have Fly More Combo...

I have three quads; a Mavic Air (4 batteries), MPP (3 batteries) and a M2Zoom (3 batteries). All my batteries are numbered and all get used equally, meaning I rotate each battery in sequence. I also never recharge them right after a flight.
Ok, I’ll bite .... why not recharge them “right after a flight“. Do you mean within an hour? A day? Why?

Yeah, I'll bite, too. @Martysticks, why "never recharge them right after a flight"?

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
Yeah, I'll bite, too. @Martysticks, why "never recharge them right after a flight"?
Just good not to when the cells are fresh off of use.. this is a good read I’d recommend reading the full page...

DJI Battery Care

I have 4 and rotate. I use a label maker but put mine on the side so it’s not visible while in the craft.

Your third battery will degrade over time.

Best to put it in rotation with the other two.???
Exactly what this says.

Remember that the smart batteries will discharge themselves down to about 60% after a few days for their own sake. Therefore, there is no such thing as "leaving a battery fully charged for when I need it."

Do you guys used all 3 batteries already? Like charged all of them, then toggle to each batteries, use it when it ran out? Because I only used 2 for now, and been keeping 1 as a "new" uncharged battery as for a future spare. Not a frequent flier, no problems with charging 2 batteries.

My question is, will the 3rd uncharged battery remain as new?(doesn't make since lol)

Is this a good idea or not?

Any inputs welcomed. Thanks

Personally I number my batteries and use them equally then recharge for next use. After using a battery leave it to cool down before packing it away. These batteries are expensive. To leave any battery uncharged for to longer period will result in cell damage. I also never leave my batteries in my drone after flying. Take out cool down then pack away. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in the Android DJI Fly app to set the battery auto discharge? I might just be a dumb, dumb, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
There is just no such thing as an "unused" battery. Batteries are initially checked, then discharged to become less dangerous for transport. Then time will reduce cells voltage over time, at a very slow rate for Li-Po cells but still discharging. The manufacturer calculates they will last a few years before any cell drops below the pre-death 3.0V limit. If you don't recharge them from time to time, then let them auto-discharge to their storage state at about 50%, chances are one of the cells will go south sometime...

Since new, three weeks now, I’ve never seen a notice of any of my batteries needing an update.

Is this normal?

Want to ensure I’m not missing out.
I had to update firmware on all three batteries with the last firmware update.

Actually it doesn't matter all that much. All batteries degrade over time and they degrade more when they are charged/discharged often. A battery charged stored at 100% has more chance of gas production inside causing the swelling. A battery charged about 50% degrades much less, which is why DJI has intelligent batteries: after a few days an automatic discharge happens to around 50%.
Charging your batteries after flying is not as good as letting them at 25% or so after a flight and then charge them in the morning when you plan to fly.
If one battery is not used it will slowly discharge and when the charge is zero your battery may be gone forever! So if you keep one battery as a spare, that is fine, but every three months or so, recharge it until the third LED starts to blink: then the battery is just above 50% which is good for further storage. Or fully charge it, make a flight, then charge it to about 50%.
And the best storage temperature is around room temperature.

Do you guys used all 3 batteries already? Like charged all of them, then toggle to each batteries, use it when it ran out? Because I only used 2 for now, and been keeping 1 as a "new" uncharged battery as for a future spare. Not a frequent flier, no problems with charging 2 batteries.

My question is, will the 3rd uncharged battery remain as new?(doesn't make since lol)

Hi Jhun80. What you're considering is the worst you can do with a battery. I have a masters degree in electronic engineering from MIT. Without going into battery "memory" details what you want to do is FULLY CHARGE all your batteries - then FULLY DISCHARGE them - at least five times in a row, ( one cycle won't work) otherwise the battery will never achieve FULL charge capability (ever) and why some people complain they get LESS minutes then "advertised" from the battery manufacturer. Do this about ever six months or so. ALSO - don't leave the batteries (fully charges) sitting in a charger. Do a full charge then unplug them. If its been more than a day or two you can put them back in and "top off" the battery before a flight. Hope this is helpful to U :)

Seven? Haha! Everyone, is this a record?
Ha, not likely. My nephew and I make a full day of flying. He likes to fly "sport" mode with my MA and runs thru batteries. We have now added the MA2 and race around, take photo/videos of each other in flight, etc. The MM is used between cool off flights.
I don't particularily like to field charge and want to ensure we have enough juice for our entertainment. We have been flying (fixed wing, quads), and managing batteries for years, since early Nicad's and then the move to lipo. Enjoy your safe flying. BTW: I received my 4th MA2 battery and it is now in rotation :D

I use all three of mine in rotation, just make sure they’re numbered. It’s good for the battery.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in the Android DJI Fly app to set the battery auto discharge? I might just be a dumb, dumb, but I can't find it.

Nope, not for the Mavic Air 2. You can't adjust that parameter.

I usually use my M2P 4*batteries all in one session and charge as soon as I get back. If I use only a couple then I rotate them and have them marked A-B-C-D... Never a good idea to leave Lipo batteries unused if they have been unpacked and put through a charge cycle. Although Mavic Batteries are intelligent-ish they automatically discharge after a set period of time. "It's in the battery manual"...

Welcome to the "flyer's Only"... It's very rare to read someone being more interested by "flying" than shooting video or pictures!
Maybe we can start a new "post" about " flight technics" ?
Would be interesting as I'm from Belgium (french speaking) and maybe there is differents "approach" ... I'm almost new on this forum so could start a new "post" ?
PS; something to start with;
Question: can a pilot bring some techniques to the "drone sector" and... vice versa?
Bob (Retired commercial pilot with 5000 hours (manned AC) & Phantom + Mavic drone pilots today).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf