DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Turkey with a drone

Reactions
Hello!
I am a new user of the community, I apologize if I am asking a question in the wrong section.

I read a news that from 2024 it is forbidden to take drones with you, but I can't find an official document about it.

Maybe someone knows the rules and has experience of traveling to Turkey after 2024.

I have Air 2s

Thank you.

Each country will have its own guidance on taking a drone.

As far as I am aware, drones are still allowed in Turkey. But you’ll need to be aware of flight height restrictions etc. However, be aware that areas like Istanbul are heavily GPS spoofed.

I’m planning on going south to Fetiye where there aren’t such issues of that nature.

Reactions: Vlad_Zherikhov
Each country will have its own guidance on taking a drone.

As far as I am aware, drones are still allowed in Turkey. But you’ll need to be aware of flight height restrictions etc. However, be aware that areas like Istanbul are heavily GPS spoofed.

I’m planning on going south to Fetiye where there aren’t such issues of that nature.
I would like to go to Kas, I hope, that we won't have any problem :)

Hello!
I am a new user of the community, I apologize if I am asking a question in the wrong section.

I read a news that from 2024 it is forbidden to take drones with you, but I can't find an official document about it.

Maybe someone knows the rules and has experience of traveling to Turkey after 2024.

I have Air 2s

Thank you.
Take with you to where? How are you traveling?

Reactions: sarahb
Hello!

I have Air 2s

Thank you.
FORGET ABOUT IT!
I have spent considerable time and effort on this question. In one month (July 1st) I am doing a Photo Workshop in Kyrgystan, and I must transit through Istanbul overnight. I will be leaving the airport and staying in Istanbul until the next day's flight (5 hours) out of the country to Bishkek, Kyrgystan on Turkish Airways. I am having my tour leader transit the drones (Mini 2 and Mavic 3) since he is flying directly to Kyrgystan.

On the way back, I I transfer to my USA bound plane (British Airways) but there is a long (overnight) connection, requiring me to stay in the Istanbul airport hotel and not go through customs. I am still worried about losing my Mini2 and Mavic 3 (over $2000). I may ask my tour leader to transit the drones back to the US for me.

I have tried over and over to connect with the Turkish CAA (civil Air Authority) without success. They simply do not reply. Their web site is in Turkish. It is an impossible situation. Unless you are a Turkish resident and apply for registration ahead of time, it is totally useless to take the drone. Check You Tube videos ("Can I take My Drone to Turkey").

Here is an example video
Dale
Miami

I traveled through Istanbul twice, in June 2022 and December 2023. On the first trip, my flight from Qatar landed at SAW. The later trip was a flight from JFK to IST. On both trips, I spent 3-4 days in Istanbul. I traveled with my Mini 3 Pro on both trips, but didn't fly in Turkey.

At IST, my bags were searched. Customs officials were more concerned with the 8 bottles of one-a-day multivitamins I was bringing for family, than my drone.

Reactions: Vlad_Zherikhov
I will fly to Antalya and next drive to Kas
I have looked into flying drones in Turkey. There is only this impossible requirement- you must first be a resident of Turkey to get the proper registration or permit.

FORGET ABOUT IT!
I have spent considerable time and effort on this question. In one month (July 1st) I am doing a Photo Workshop in Kyrgystan, and I must transit through Istanbul overnight. I will be leaving the airport and staying in Istanbul until the next day's flight (5 hours) out of the country to Bishkek, Kyrgystan on Turkish Airways. I am having my tour leader transit the drones (Mini 2 and Mavic 3) since he is flying directly to Kyrgystan.

On the way back, I I transfer to my USA bound plane (British Airways) but there is a long (overnight) connection, requiring me to stay in the Istanbul airport hotel and not go through customs. I am still worried about losing my Mini2 and Mavic 3 (over $2000). I may ask my tour leader to transit the drones back to the US for me.

I have tried over and over to connect with the Turkish CAA (civil Air Authority) without success. They simply do not reply. Their web site is in Turkish. It is an impossible situation. Unless you are a Turkish resident and apply for registration ahead of time, it is totally useless to take the drone. Check You Tube videos ("Can I take My Drone to Turkey").

Here is an example video
Dale
Miami
Really useful information, thank you.

Really useful information, thank you.
Vlad:
On the other hand , I have just spoken with a Mavic Pilots Forum member who recently transited Istanbul and said the customs did not even pay any attention to his drone in his carry on bags! They just passed him through. He also told me that there are a lot of drone You Tubes of Istanbul! Their (Turkish CAA) web site is very specific about being a resident in order to apply for a permit and registration. A very disturbing fact is that they will not only confiscate your drone, they will not return it!
I am going to be there soon and I am not going to take any chances at all in losing my expensive Mavic 3. I am going to have may tour leader ship it through on his direct flight to Bishkek (capital) of Kyrgystan. I have already had a drone confiscated (I've already tjhod this story) and it is very traumatic and it is no fun to lose it.

Dale
Miami

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections