DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today was a fun one.

Sticksandgrips

Reactions
So today in jersey we had 25mph winds at 100ft and 60mph gusts. I said let’s see what happens. Pretty crazy how the little mini gets tossed around. And stands it’s ground. Anything above my house level was not happening. Could barely even move. Obviously I was very careful and just wanted to see it limits in a controlled environment.
Strong winds and the mini don’t mix. It handles them well but when you are in sport mode and can’t make ground at all it’s pretty crazy.

Did similar the other day with my M2, infrequent gusts, variable direction, at 40 mph (I live against the eastern base of the Carson Range (Sierra), so we can get lots of rotor turbulence in the lee of the mountains.

Watching the M2P adjust to the gusts is impressive, seems there's almost no hysteresis as controller image remains very stable even though the horizon line on the on-screen compass view is boppin' around like a one-legged belly dancer!

How do you know what the wind speeds were? Most postings that mention upper level wind speeds are using general forecasts, not actuals. The actual speed can be calculated by putting the drone in atti mode and reading the speed with the rc sticks centered. This will yield a velocity which averages gusts and average wind speeds during the period the drone was reporting its speed.

Yes I do. Going off uav and being I was not able to get up more than say 30 feet in the air without making headroom in sport mode. And the mini getting blown. Everywhere

How do you know what the wind speeds were? Most postings that mention upper level wind speeds are using general forecasts, not actuals. The actual speed can be calculated by putting the drone in atti mode and reading the speed with the rc sticks centered. This will yield a velocity which averages gusts and average wind speeds during the period the drone was reporting its speed.
And I also never said actual. Forecast is good enough. Knowing I shouldn’t have been flying when you can’t keep a hat on your head. Wanted to see how the mini would struggle knowing the gusts where pretty constant we had 2 days of wind warnings etc. was crazy weather for January in Jersey. 60 degrees with winds destroying stuff in yards.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos