DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Too Easy and Over Confident

russpury

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I had my Mini 3 Pro for about a month, flying a couple of days a week. I love it. I wanted to try a hyperlapse. I set up a point near the closest intersection to the tennis court I usually fly from, took off straight up to 150', my max in this area, and set off the hyperlapse, watched the images count up until it was done. I rotated the drone around and moved back. With the camera pointed down to align for landing, I saw the tennis court, flew over to it, and descended to land. No need for the return to home button. I descended and landed. That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't heard the drone. Nor did I see it on the tennis court. I landed on the wrong tennis court. Find my drone led me to the complex next door and their tennis court. I flew the drone out of the court, hand-caught it, and walked home a bit humbled.

I had my Mini 3 Pro for about a month, flying a couple of days a week. I love it. I wanted to try a hyperlapse. I set up a point near the closest intersection to the tennis court I usually fly from, took off straight up to 150', my max in this area, and set off the hyperlapse, watched the images count up until it was done. I rotated the drone around and moved back. With the camera pointed down to align for landing, I saw the tennis court, flew over to it, and descended to land. No need for the return to home button. I descended and landed. That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't heard the drone. Nor did I see it on the tennis court. I landed on the wrong tennis court. Find my drone led me to the complex next door and their tennis court. I flew the drone out of the court, hand-caught it, and walked home a bit humbled.

Arthur Godfrey (radio broadcaster from years ago) was a private pilot and made some good observations about flying. He said that new pilots are very cautious and do things by the book when they first get their license. As time goes by, they get less and less careful, until one day something potentially awful happens. It either kills you or you're lucky and learn something from it.

Congratulations on being in the second group, and having the good sense to take it seriously. Stay safe. Have fun.

That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't heard the drone. Nor did I see it on the tennis court. I landed on the wrong tennis court.
It is a drone pilot or visual observer responsibility to keep the drone in sight at all times....visual line of sight or in short VLOS.

Reactions: russpury
If you're not just a tad apprehensive when you're flying, you're over confident. 😉

The map view would have shown the drone on the wrong court. Might try getting used to using it when out of sight momentarily. Satellite view is very accurate with full, easy to follow, track.

Reactions: russpury
Arthur Godfrey (radio broadcaster from years ago) was a private pilot and made some good observations about flying. He said that new pilots are very cautious and do things by the book when they first get their license. As time goes by, they get less and less careful, until one day something potentially awful happens. It either kills you or you're lucky and learn something from it.

Congratulations on being in the second group, and having the good sense to take it seriously. Stay safe. Have fun.
Arthur Godfrey also buzzed Teterboro Tower and then sang about it while accompanying himself on ukelele. I'm old enough to remember seeing that.

Reactions: B52-D
Arthur Godfrey also buzzed Teterboro Tower and then sang about it while accompanying himself on ukelele. I'm old enough to remember seeing that.

I didn't think anyone else would remember that. (I see you're a year older than me.)

For you younger folks, here's what passed for humor in the 60s.

Most memorable line:
"and a bug's caught in my pitot tube... my gauges don't read at all."

When I was flying Cessnas and Cherokees, I'd occasionally think about that line in the summertime on takeoff when there were lots of insects sharing the airspace.

Funny story...thanks for sharing!

Yeah these drones are so easy to fly it's easy to get over confident. I started out flying cheap GPS drones that didn't have anywhere the stability or responsiveness of DJI drones so I still have trust issues when it comes to the drone (I fly A2S and MA2). Not a bad thing really.

When I'm filming or taking photos, I mostly have my nose in the screen trying to line up the shot. When it's time to come back and land, I always look at the drone and fly it "line of sight". When just looking at the camera view, it's too easy to miss branches and/or wires when coming in especially once you are getting lower in altitude.

Flying line of sight is a lot of fun and a useful skill. You can practice and learn using a cheap toy drone in your backyard. No GPS, no camera (or at least just don't bother with the phone app) and just fly around.

Another reason that I make it SOP to flip from radar map to map view when my drone is coming home.

But this could happen to anyone - thanks for sharing a cautionary tale that did not end badly!

The map view would have shown the drone on the wrong court. Might try getting used to using it when out of sight momentarily. Satellite view is very accurate with full, easy to follow, track.
I pretty much always use the map view to bring my drones home. It removes the necessity for the drone to rise to the RTH altitude before coming home. Also, I usually record the trip home anyway so I try to make it interesting if possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf