DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too Hot in Texas to Fly?

Ntexguy

Reactions
I travel a lot in Texas and in the summer temps can be near 110 F. I always keep my mavic pro in
a case in the back of my car in order to fly if i see something interesting. My question is am i
harming my batteries or drone doing this. Also is my drone in jeopardy flying in that heat?
Any info would be appreciated.

Reactions: Smalls
The 110 F trunk is way too hot to then fly the battery which will most likely exceed the max recommended temperature. I'm in Arizona, with the same problem. I travel with my batteries in a cooler until ready to fly, keeping my flights a bit shorter than normal, and not pushing them in Sport Mode. Excessive heat is a REAL killer for our LiPos. I learned that lesson with my Mavic Platinum, and am now MUCH more careful with my M2P batteries!

Bill
Thanks so much for your thoughts.....I will now just leave mavic in car and batteries in house till ready
to go fly.
Mike
Wichita Falls, TX

Absolutely no problem......maybe a balmy 100F or so? I can send it in the next 12 hours....just give me your credit card number and that silly little number on the back! We Texans are always ready to help! (and turn a profit!) :)

I travel a lot in Texas and in the summer temps can be near 110 F. I always keep my mavic pro in
a case in the back of my car in order to fly if i see something interesting. My question is am i
harming my batteries or drone doing this. Also is my drone in jeopardy flying in that heat?
Any info would be appreciated.
i believe the cut off for flying any dji drone is 104,i normally keep one of my drones with me at all times until the temps climb up above 104,once summer is here i leave my drones at home until the weekend so they don’t cook in my truck

Some things to remember (as I live in Texas)

Equipment can overheat. Especially phones and tablets. I did a job yesterday and my iPad overheated while in mid-flight. The only thing I could do was to hit RTH on the controller to bring the aircraft in for a landing. Until yesterday, I had not had that to happen before. I didn't have any heat issues with the aircraft.

Reactions: chazzm

Equipment can overheat. Especially phones and tablets. I did a job yesterday and my iPad overheated while in mid-flight. The only thing I could do was to hit RTH on the controller to bring the aircraft in for a landing. Until yesterday, I had not had that to happen before. I didn't have any heat issues with the aircraft.
i used a samsung note 9 for my mpp and an ipad 6gen for my php4 2.0 and both get really hot when im flying even when standing in shade,best time to fly is early morning in the summer

Even when it’s 80s outside your car could become to hot for batteries. I always carry my Mavic and batteries when I drive for business but I bring it with me inside client’s homes never leave it in car.

Also careful with making them to cold in a cooler and then sudden warmth could cause condensation .. some people cool batteries in car with ac blowing on them.. usually leads to something bad happening too..

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
I use a Ryobi laser to check if the bird is overheating. especially on hot days. I jus point it at the Heatsink on the underside look for the hottest spot, that is your max temp that you should go by. The internal cooling fan kicks on when the core board temp gets to be 110 degrees. If I remember correctly anywhere between 100 degrees and 118 degrees will keep the drone cool enough to avoid over heating. If you are flying over 100 degrees keep temp gun close, and measure before and after flight. Heat sink temp should never get above 125 degrees or you risk frying your FC ESC Board.

In the Phoenix area I find dusk is often OK, but try to fly sunrise times. Carry the drone inside my car with AC and don’t leave. It in the car if parked for more than 5-10 min.

I also live in Texas, and yes it’s way to hot to leave my drones in my car!! And I’ve had iPad:iPhone overheating problems a few times also! From the house into the heat is ok but after being inside my car problems arise!!! Simply blacked out my display!!! Works fine after cooling down !

As someone who lives in AZ, I only fly sun up or at night.
Evenings are OK after 6pm on the outskirts of metro PHX, if the temp stays below 105 and you give the bird 10-15 min to cool with battery removed and shade provided. I do it 2-4x week.

Evenings are OK after 6pm on the outskirts of metro PHX, if the temp stays below 105 and you give the bird 10-15 min to cool with battery removed and shade provided. I do it 2-4x week.
In the Phoenix area I find dusk is often OK, but try to fly sunrise times. Carry the drone inside my car with AC and don’t leave. It in the car if parked for more than 5-10 min.
My new time to fly in tx....early and late! Thanks again!

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoTony