DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too many crashes

If your spider sense starts tingling return to base and reassess.

Love that comment! (Grew up reading all the Marvel characters and still have three or four hundred comics from the '60's stashed away. <grinning>)

All kidding aside, most excellent advice, m0j0.

Love that comment! (Grew up reading all the Marvel characters and still have three or four hundred comics from the '60's stashed away. <grinning>).
I spent my formative years overseas in Greece, we didn't have Television. What we did have was a BX with comics. I was allowed to buy a selection every week. Spidey was by far my favorite. A different time for sure - showing my age here.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

If people weren't crashing, I would have alot more free time. :rolleyes:

People crash, therefore I am... (descartes)

I ordered both a chicken and an egg from Amazon so I expect to have an answer soon. [emoji106]

Those flyaway-type outdoor events are almost always caused by magnetic distortion at the launch site, usually due to ferrous metal in the ground or as part of the structure that the aircraft is launched from, or flying in winds too strong for the aircraft to fight.

The magnetic interference issue is almost completely preventable with a couple of simple checks before takeoff, but those are nowhere to be found in the instruction manual, so it's arguably not pilot error. Flying in high winds is entirely pilot error.
I would agree. 50 percent of the time I get a warning and move the M2P to a different spot and it goes away.

I tell my customers to never feel bad about a crash. There's an old saying in RC aviation that goes, "if you ain't crashing, you ain't flying."

One crash and having to send the drone to DJI for repair, and then wait for the repair, and wait some more, and wait some more again, will stimulate reduced user error in the future.

Reactions: Former Member
Haven't flown in several months due too fear of losing it. Several erratic flights where lost connections and visual only to be saved at the last minute when re-connected have left me VERY concerned about stability of my Mavic. These were flights in country with no interference and plenty of satellites and maybe 900 to 1200 feet away... but Mavic went rogue.

Haven't flown in several months due too fear of losing it. Several erratic flights where lost connections and visual only to be saved at the last minute when re-connected have left me VERY concerned about stability of my Mavic. These were flights in country with no interference and plenty of satellites and maybe 900 to 1200 feet away... but Mavic went rogue.

Has it always done that or just the last few flights? Still under warranty?

I don’t think there are as many as the Phantom 3 flyaways. Any crash is too much though. I can accept pilot error. Malfunctions and glitches scare me. :)

I have been flying RC helicopters for decades. When I started out I was trained by/practiced my *** off under the supervision of more experienced RC heli pilots. My concern since the Phantom one (I still own mine) has been that as easy are drones are to fly the operators don't have to fly hours of practice maneuvers just to feel comfortable flying it.
The lack of properly learned muscle memory means mistakes are more likely when situations arise that require instant control inputs and split second decisions.

I'm the first to admit flying boxes and figure 8s can get old so I think the best thing you can do to improve your drone flying skills is to practice flying a drone without a GPS.
Buy a Blade Inductrix (Tiny Whoop) or something similar, they are cheap, hard to break, hard to fly (relatively speaking) and a ton of fun. They are tiny so you can fly them in your house.
I own a couple drones that do not have GPS including an inductrix and try to fly them often to keep my skills sharp.

Have I crashed RC copters/drones?.. you bet I have. And I can tell you what I did wrong in every case to cause the crash, including the one time I had a component fail.

There are many things that can cause a drone to crash, including a poor pre-flight inspection, or the unlikely component failure (might have been caught in the pre-flight). all I'm saying is that like small manned aircraft (I'm an airplane pilot as well) the number one cause of a crash is pilot error.

my $0.02
You are 100 percent correct, great post

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Ok ... ever since I've been on this site ... about 3 months .... there seems to be a RELENTLESS topic format of crashes !!!! I say that to say this ?...... WTH is going on ?!?! Why are there so many people crashing and really tearing the arse outta their drones ?!?!? ... why have I never had this problem with either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro 2 ?!? Should I be expecting some sort of wild arse crash ..?? Or should I sell me drones as the Crashless Model ??? ..... seriously is this the nature of the sport being associated with hapless pilots or are these really serious construction defects in which a class action lawsuit needs to be put in play to defend the rest of us before some errant drone takes off outta someone's control and takes out a plane full of orphaned children !!!!
It’s the sensors. They don’t communicate with the brain of the drone like advertised. The sensors was the main reason I bought it. But they just aren’t as good as we expected.

It’s the sensors. They don’t communicate with the brain of the drone like advertised. The sensors was the main reason I bought it. But they just aren’t as good as we expected.

Who is "we"?

I too have real doubt about how many non-pilot error induced crashes there really are. Yes the can be compass errors on the ground but they have always gone away as soon as I get airborne. I always hand catch to avoid issues with landing on ground that exhibit compass issues.

I am perfectly comfortable flying in ATTI mode as I flew Rc Helicopters for years before the advent of stability control systems.

Has there been documented cases of fly always that did not involve some form of pilot error?

I too have real doubt about how many non-pilot error induced crashes there really are. Yes the can be compass errors on the ground but they have always gone away as soon as I get airborne. I always hand catch to avoid issues with landing on ground that exhibit compass issues.

I am perfectly comfortable flying in ATTI mode as I flew Rc Helicopters for years before the advent of stability control systems.

Has there been documented cases of fly always that did not involve some form of pilot error?

I've seen a number of crashes caused by equipment failure, but I don't recall many flyaway cases that were not pilot error. Right now I can only think of one.

My mz2 is amazing well over 100 flight! Flew in thunderstorms (not on purpose) amd ive never had an issue and i ordered it 10 mins into the event. I know a guy that bought a spark and lost it first flight. He didnt have a clue what he was doin. Then this dude got a mp2 and he was talking to a friend i was with the otherday and bam he has alrdy destroyed the brand new mp2. Im sure he never even took the time to see how they work. I studied and read for hours everyday for a cple months b4 i even decided what i was gona buy! I guess these folks have more money than me! Pilot error is to blame for many many crashes for sure!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143