DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Took a picture while I crashed my drone.

BingErr

Reactions
I knew the risk going into this, but did it anyway. Been using my Mavic 2 Pro to illuminate areas while taking long exposure pics for a few weeks now, and the results have been pretty cool.
But I got the idea to use color changing LED light strips, so last night I zip-tied them onto my Mavic Pro Platinum and started taking 30 second exposure pics. It was going pretty well until a cable or light got sucked into the props and caused the MPP to crash into a tree.
The Good News: 1. I got it on camera 2. I think fixing the drone will be cheap and simple.

Here's the 30 second long exposure of my MPP crashing.

crash pic.jpg

Here's the damage. broken vibration dampening plate.jpg

Would you fix this Vibration Dampening Plate with something similar like this?
Or should I take this opportunity to upgrade to an aluminum plate like this one?

Also, thanks to Bret8883 for helping me identify the parts needed in this thread. Broken Gimbal/Vibration Dampening Plate. Easy fix???
But I didn't want to post any of my pics there since it's a crash thread.

Sorry about the crash and damage, but that sure is creative with the long exposures!!

Reactions: BingErr
Sorry about the crash and damage, but that sure is creative with the long exposures!!
It's all good. I wouldn't have taken the risk with my M2P. I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I saw an amazing pic on reddit and have been trying to copy it.

Reactions: LoganAir
What about using a cheaper drone or drones to do the light holding and use the mavic to do the media . Its a very creative idea and I think it can be expanded and do some pretty awesome stuff. U could still do the pictures from the ground and the mavic could capture the same effect from different angles height and distances all the while staying out of danger and if something happens you aren’t going to damage your wallet its not like a few years ago now so so many cheaper drones are packed with the features that back then were on expensive drones only... i wonder if you had a drone doing the circle with the lights and have the mav circle the opposite way .. pretty cool effect ... sorry about the mav damage

What about using a cheaper drone or drones to do the light holding and use the mavic to do the media . Its a very creative idea and I think it can be expanded and do some pretty awesome stuff. U could still do the pictures from the ground and the mavic could capture the same effect from different angles height and distances all the while staying out of danger and if something happens you aren’t going to damage your wallet its not like a few years ago now so so many cheaper drones are packed with the features that back then were on expensive drones only... i wonder if you had a drone doing the circle with the lights and have the mav circle the opposite way .. pretty cool effect ... sorry about the mav damage
Yeah, this was just a test having the MPP carry the LED light, and obviously didn't go so well. But I still feel fortunate that the damage is limited to a cheap part. I even put the lens cover on and flew the drone today to make sure everything else was operational. So far so good. MAYBE I could have my Spark carry the light in the future. But then you have less flight time and a smaller base to mount the lights. I'm actually looking at some light weight aluminum pipe (like a antenna or tent pole) to mount the lights on and make clips for the MPP to carry it. The MPP is just so reliable and has so much thrust that it seems like the ideal candidate to carry the weight. Maybe I could look into getting a smaller LED light also.

It’s what I intend to use my 3DR solo for, got a lume cube but it’s a bit harsh, even with a ping pong ball as a defuser.

Love the creativity..
Sorry bout the crash but looks like u need new plate and ribbon/ vid cable..
About $40-$50 in parts is all..
Would I be getting any video feed if I need a new ribbon cable? Is it all or nothing, or will the image be degraded?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Would I be getting any video feed if I need a new ribbon cable? Is it all or nothing, or will the image be degraded?
Do u still have images?
The video cable controls pics/ vids.
The ribbon cable runs the gimble.
It’s possible I might need just one or the other.

Do u still have images?
The video cable controls pics/ vids.
The ribbon cable runs the gimble.
It’s possible I might need just one or the other.
ok, that makes sense. I still have picture, but obviously I can't test the gimbal control right now... or can I? nah, I'll just wait until my new part arrives and see if that fixes it or I'll be making another purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
ok, that makes sense. I still have picture, but obviously I can't test the gimbal control right now... or can I? nah, I'll just wait until my new part arrives and see if that fixes it or I'll be making another purchase. Thanks for the heads up.
From what I saw you will need a new vibration plate and ribbon cable for sure.
You-tube has plenty of videos in replacing both.
Once you have replaced those two items and you have video and your gimbal moves freely and calibrates your good.
It’s possible you might have damaged the gimbal and motors themselves and after replacing the plate and ribbon cable if your gimbal doesn’t work you would replace that next..
That’s anywhere from $35-$55..
Start with shock absorber plate and ribbon cable first though..
That will only set u back $20-$30..

Reactions: BingErr
I knew the risk going into this, but did it anyway. Been using my Mavic 2 Pro to illuminate areas while taking long exposure pics for a few weeks now, and the results have been pretty cool.
But I got the idea to use color changing LED light strips, so last night I zip-tied them onto my Mavic Pro Platinum and started taking 30 second exposure pics. It was going pretty well until a cable or light got sucked into the props and caused the MPP to crash into a tree.
The Good News: 1. I got it on camera 2. I think fixing the drone will be cheap and simple.

Here's the 30 second long exposure of my MPP crashing.

View attachment 102519

Here's the damage. View attachment 102520

Would you fix this Vibration Dampening Plate with something similar like this?
Or should I take this opportunity to upgrade to an aluminum plate like this one?

Also, thanks to Bret8883 for helping me identify the parts needed in this thread. Broken Gimbal/Vibration Dampening Plate. Easy fix???
But I didn't want to post any of my pics there since it's a crash thread.

Totally agree with the others, sorry about your crash but love the pics!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121