DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Top Mavic 2 accessories for April 2019 (by DDH)

I have gotten burned by saving money too many times. Thats why I got PolarPro filters as you usually get what you pay for.
SKYREAT's products have great reviews, so that tells us a lot of people really like their products. Do they make the best products for everyone though? Of course not. Having other options is great.

BTW, did you see the new PolarPro mount? It looks like MavMount finally has some stiff competition.

Reactions: bobfa100
Why would anyone buy a landing pad?

A landing pad is certainly not needed if you're able to find a flat, clean area to take off. That's not always possible, so these landing pads exist. And it must be a real problem because they sell like hot cakes month after month.

There is also a better precision landing recorded I would think from the design and contrast to usual ground.

Edit, just saw 2 follows ups saying that too, doh !

I saw a youtube vid the other night of a landing pad that is weighted on the perimeter.
The demo should that and a competitors with a Mavic (I think it was) coming in to land.
The normal pad blew away, the weighted one held position well.

Trade off, if carrying the weighted one (bushwalking / hiking) it might be a pain, then again you have to carry stake for the other, and take time to stake it out.

I saw a youtube vid the other night of a landing pad that is weighted on the perimeter.
The demo should that and a competitors with a Mavic (I think it was) coming in to land.
The normal pad blew away, the weighted one held position well.
That sounds like a Hoodman landing pad. They have a galvanized steel perimeter.

Most landing pads are pretty light and need to be staked to the ground when flying in windy conditions.

That sounds like a Hoodman landing pad. They have a galvanized steel perimeter.

Most landing pads are pretty light and need to be staked to the ground when flying in windy conditions.

Ah, didn't know what the weighting was . . . steel and drones ?
Surely there would be a high risk of magnetic interference, I can't see galv steel being any less of a problem ?

Surely there would be a high risk of magnetic interference, I can't see galv steel being any less of a problem ?
I've never seen any mention that issue with Hoodman landing pads. I just sent Hoodman an email to see how they're working around that issue. I report back here when they reply.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
BTW, did you see the new PolarPro mount? It looks like MavMount finally has some stiff competition.
That looks pretty cool. I thought it was just for the crystal sky stuff. I like their style versus the ball joint as it keeps the monitor exactly at 90 degrees where the ball joint always seems to be a smidge off....
It still wouldn't work for the way I set mine up.

It still wouldn't work for the way I set mine up.
You'd just need to remove your tablet mount and attach it to the 1/4"-20 adapter on the PolarPro mount.

Reactions: brettbrandon
You'd just need to remove your tablet mount and attach it to the 1/4"-20 adapter on the PolarPro mount.
Thats a great idea but maybe down the road. I can't afford to put any more money into it right now. I could buy a small FPV MiniWhoop to fly indoors for what the adapter costs. I'm not implying that it is too expensive, just not really needed right now for me.

Thats a great idea but maybe down the road. I can't afford to put any more money into it right now. I could buy a small FPV MiniWhoop to fly indoors for what the adapter costs. I'm not implying that it is too expensive, just not really needed right now for me.
Right, you likely don't need this mount since you already have a MavMount. I was just replying to your statement that said it wouldn't work for your setup.

I heard back from Hoodman. They said:

"We use galvanized metal, which has a zinc coating. It is non-magnetic."

Surely there would be a high risk of magnetic interference
Before I knew about magnetic interference (Oct '17) and its effects I used this landing pad because flying in the desert is challenging in many ways. The ground is hard and the plastic stakes it comes with will only last a couple of times if that many. I started using two 4" galvanized nails to hold the landing pad and I have not had any problems. Ignorance is bliss.
How many take a claw hammer as part of their flying paraphernalia. ?

Before I knew about magnetic interference (Oct '17) and its effects I used this landing pad because flying in the desert is challenging in many ways. The ground is hard and the plastic stakes it comes with will only last a couple of times if that many. I started using two 4" galvanized nails to hold the landing pad and I have not had any problems. Ignorance is bliss.
How many take a claw hammer as part of their flying paraphernalia. ?

Hi Turn11, thanks for the info, yes being unaware can be a blessing sometimes !

Hard ground, know it well for stakes, am a bushwalker (what US and some call backcountry hiking), and a 4WDer, and love the outback (interior of Australia) for trips.
The ground can be so hard in the desert regions, that a lot here for vehicle tenting and such use the screw in coach bolts with a cordless drill, bolts like these (8" ones) . . .
Zenith M12 x 200mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Coach Screw - Each

I wonder if using a normal landing pad with stakes, IF you used special lightweight ones, if any magnetic problems could be fixed by using stainless or alloy / aluminium stakes ?
A magnet won't stick to many of these, and they can be strong, not sure about titanium tent stakes and magnetic properties, they are thin, very lightweight, and strong for diameter.

That said, you haven't had any issues, so maybe you can still use the nails you have been ??

I only remember having a magnetic interference warning once.
I'd filmed a mural painted silo in a remote New South Wales (an Australian state) on a trip, and went to a nearby metal picnic table to quickly down load the video wireless to the ipad mini 4.
I ignored the warning as I wasn't flying, but it quickly went away after I left the table by a foot or so.

Maybe some model drones are more susceptible to this.

I heard back from Hoodman. They said:

"We use galvanized metal, which has a zinc coating. It is non-magnetic."

I just checked my Hoodman landing pad, and it is attracted by a magnet. The perimeter is indeed made of a ferromagnetic material and not a magnetic material. If you keep the drone centered on the landing pad, it should not interfere with the compass in the drone. You can check this by using a pocket or hand held compass; it only reacts when near the edge.

I have never had a magnetic interference problem using the Hoodman landing pad. But when I try to land on the rear deck of my boat the Mavic Pro compass goes crazy with multiple notifications and switching compasses (the original Mavic Pro has two). The problem is that there are two bilge pumps below deck that contain very powerful magnets. You have to move the drone at least 5 feet away to avoid interference.

I just bought the Skyreat. The build quality is excellent and holds my iPad Mini securely. It was only $17 on Amazon.

Reactions: Former Member
SKYREAT's products have great reviews, so that tells us a lot of people really like their products. Do they make the best products for everyone though? Of course not. Having other options is great.

The Polarpro is $80 while the Skyreat is $17.

The Polarpro is $80 while the Skyreat is $17.
Yep! If you take the time to compare those two products closely, it's pretty easy to see they aren't made for the same customers/purposes.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078