DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Top obstacle sensor - can it be switched off?

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
So the other day I tried to fly under a very low road crossing near the sea that is about 2 metres high. I disabled the obstacle sensors but every time I tried to fly my Mavic 2 underneath it the top sensor would kick in and force the drone almost into the water.

I tried several times but it would kick in each time. I went into the menu but couldn’t find a way to disable the top sensor. I thought when you disable the obstacle sensors that would include the top one as well? Or is there another setting hidden deeper within the Mavic 2 Settings?

The only time the upper sensor is disabled is in Sport mode. There is no way to just "turn it off".

I experienced this twice the other day trying to get under a fallen tree stump. Obstacle avoidance was shut off. I figured it was trying to auto land because it was so close to the ground.Is there another place to disable “all sensors” like you stated? The desktop app perhaps?

I did not noticet such possibility in the DJI GO4 app... Unless in the buttons customisation section

Yes, there is. If you turn off ALL sensors with assigned button, they are turned off - ALL of them
Thanks! I’m going to give it a go. I hope that won’t patch that out. If the user wants to switch the top sensor off for flying through a tight spot then they should have it available through the menu settings. It seems strange that when you disable obstacle avoidance the top sensor still stays On.

Yes, there is. If you turn off ALL sensors with assigned button, they are turned off - ALL of them
I am going by this thread where DJI was contacted and they were told it was not possible. Now it is very possible whoever they talked to at DJI did not know what they were talking about...

"UPWARD OBSTACLE DETECTED"

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Just a thought... experiment with covering the sensor with various materials. I’d do this in the middle of a large field and be ready to force land if exhibiting odd control/behavior problems. If all seems normal, try something with an overhang.

White, black and translucent paper (thin rice paper, maybe waxed to increase translucence) could work.
NB

In my box of odds and sods, I had a sheet of the tiny silver stickers used to cover the write-protect hole of 5.25" floppy disks. Just covered the top sensor with one of them, that does the job perfectly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00