DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Torbay, DEVON

Hi Alan.

I have found that the few who fly locally seem to be a solitary lot and once contacted, go back to ground. I would like to like to hold out a hand of friendship if you like.

I have a Mavic Air which suits me nicely. I have been lucky enough to be able to fly off a field near me - for training'purposes - getting to know the bird a little before venturing further. I now have a bit of confidence to fly from a layby if necessary.

The best place to fly is probably Broadsands. There is a fair bit of space there and you would probably be able to fly without much hassle from anyone. I bought a day-glo bib with the words 'Drone pilot - do not disturb' on it.

Cheers

Tony

Hi
I have been a bit out of touch as I have been working abroad for nearly two months. I have been down to Broadsands Beach car park and found it to be reasonably quiet for flying.

I know Tony has to work Sunday mornings ( hi Tony) but that is a good time for me to meet up at Broadsands for a fly around.

I went on the Devon and Cornwall Police course last Saturday and learnt a great deal about drone flying and the Code of Practise.

Hi
I have been a bit out of touch as I have been working abroad for nearly two months. I have been down to Broadsands Beach car park and found it to be reasonably quiet for flying.

I know Tony has to work Sunday mornings ( hi Tony) but that is a good time for me to meet up at Broadsands for a fly around.

I went on the Devon and Cornwall Police course last Saturday and learnt a great deal about drone flying and the Code of Practise.

That course would have been interesting. At the moment, I'm trying the common sense approach :)

Reactions: BrianTM

Last Saturday as in 2nd June?

That's annoying I've been on the list since the last one was cancelled due to the snow and have had nothing to say it was rescheduled!!

Hi Everyone and thanks for the feedback/suggestions. I now have a shiny new DJI 4 Advanced. I didn't go for the Pro in the end as I was offered a too good to miss price on the advanced. Still got the 20M camera which was what I was really after. Just waiting on the postman to deliver my 2nd battery today and some ND filters then I will venture out with the new bird :)

A friend of mine who has a Mavic Pro said he goes up to Sharkham Point and the Daymark at Brixham so these will be something for me to take a look at.

Last Saturday as in 2nd June?

That's annoying I've been on the list since the last one was cancelled due to the snow and have had nothing to say it was rescheduled!!

Sorry, my reply to this post seems to have disappeared.

I did write that it was on the previous Saturday, the 26th.
The original contact was a Andy Hamilton but as I had not heard from him by the Thursday I wrote again and received an e-mail to say he had left the Police!

I have just posted one of my first flights using the Litchi software. I am more than pleased overall but I would like to hear peoples verdict of my first attempt. The criticism I would make myself would be that it appears very slow and yet looking at the drone in the sky it was doing between 15 and 20 miles an hour.

Litchi Hub :- Mission Hub - Litchi

YouTube :-

Reactions: RSW
Sorry, my reply to this post seems to have disappeared.

I did write that it was on the previous Saturday, the 26th.
The original contact was a Andy Hamilton but as I had not heard from him by the Thursday I wrote again and received an e-mail to say he had left the Police!

Thanks for that, for some reason I've not been getting update emails from the forum so only just seen the reply

I have just posted one of my first flights using the Litchi software. I am more than pleased overall but I would like to hear peoples verdict of my first attempt. The criticism I would make myself would be that it appears very slow and yet looking at the drone in the sky it was doing between 15 and 20 miles an hour.

Litchi Hub :- Mission Hub - Litchi

YouTube :-

Hi Sandiego

That was just SOOOOperb!

Slow? Maybe a bit but, are you wishing it along. For the casual viewer it was great and give the viewer time to take in the great view that you have provided them with. I will admit that I spent the last few moments doing a 'Where's Wally' - looking for the pilot. :)

Also, have you tried going on the Facebook - DJI Mavic UK page. Lots of nice people to throw your constructive criticism
queries at.

Tony (Paignton)

Hi everyone, I am reluctantly selling the DJi 4 Advanced I purchased, only selling as now got a flat move and new job etc.

#######################################################

For Sale is my as new, mint, unflown DJI 4 Advanced Drone.

I purchased this a while back NEW, but never got round to flying it.

It has a 4K camera, 2 New Batteries with only a couple of charges.

This has never left the ground. ZERO Flight Time.

Comes with New 32GB SD card.

Set of 4 Neewer ND Filters

All original, un-marked condition.

The only thing I have done with this is set it up on my iPad.

Reluctant sale due to flat move. £900

DJI 4 Advanced 4K Camera Drone AS NEW MINT 2 BATTS | in Brixham, Devon | Gumtree

or send me a DM via this forum.

Amnyone doing any droning today either near Torquay, my present location or near Okehampton where I will be in an hotel for a few days from tonight.
BTW the NATS drone assisst App I have downloaded yesterday does not show Dartmoor as a whole as a prohibited flight area. Just some areas highlighted in the north and west of Dartmoor. Any ideas why this is. Other threads suggest the whole of Dartmoor a nogo(?). I would have thought that by walking well away from carparks, people, cattle, horses there should be no reasonable objection to flights to photograph the beautiful remote countryside.

Julianlh

Dartmoor is a strict no fly area without permission from the Dartmoor National Park Authority.

"National Park Byelaws prohibit the use of drones and model aircraft on or over any common land within the National Park, except with prior written authority from the National Park Authority "

Source: Drones & model aircraft | Dartmoor

If a park ranger catches someone flying a drone they will probably confiscate the drone and/or call the Police who now have more powers.

If you want to fly on Dartmoor you would need to contact them to get permission to fly.

If your doing any filming of a commercial nature they also make a charge. From £1,000 to beyond £2,500 +VAT for a feature film.

Julianlh

Dartmoor is a strict no fly area without permission from the Dartmoor National Park Authority.

"National Park Byelaws prohibit the use of drones and model aircraft on or over any common land within the National Park, except with prior written authority from the National Park Authority "

Source: Drones & model aircraft | Dartmoor

If a park ranger catches someone flying a drone they will probably confiscate the drone and/or call the Police who now have more powers.

If you want to fly on Dartmoor you would need to contact them to get permission to fly.

If your doing any filming of a commercial nature they also make a charge. From £1,000 to beyond £2,500 +VAT for a feature film.
OK Alan. Thanks for taking time to post this. As I said in previous, the NATS Drone Assist App does not show the whole of Dartmoor as a nogo. They probably just consider civil and military air operations areas. Is there a single App to use to show every restricted area for whatever reason? Is the dji one any good?

Hi everyone, l am in the same boat as you guys and am looking to meet up with like minded folk to peruse this brilliant hobby mainly for photography reasons and of course a drink and a chat occasionally

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+