DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Novice in UK - Should I start with Mini or go for MA2? Help please!

Yes, Dorset is a great place to be.

I have a motorhome and like to travel a bit (in normal times) but it's certainly not a bad place to call home!

I may see you out and about.
i have the mavic air combo ,if i was you go for the air2 combo learn to fly it first then go into video&photos they are easy to learn to fly as long as you read the instructions and let the gps signal get as many as possible , after 2 weeks with the mini you will want to trade up

i have the mavic air combo ,if i was you go for the air2 combo learn to fly it first then go into video&photos they are easy to learn to fly as long as you read the instructions and let the gps signal get as many as possible , after 2 weeks with the mini you will want to trade up
Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

im new to drones i bought a mavic mini great drone but range not to good and i was always loosing signal upgraded to mavic air 2 no signal loss and a lot heavier so ok in winds i love it but its all down to cost
New drone flyer here also. Got a mavic mini and do some practice backyard and open space park. But 100% i will upgrade to big brother mavic 2 nxt year

Hi, I'm new to the exciting world of drones. I am a keen photograher but never done any video work. I have been intrigued by the world of drones for some time and now that I have more free time want to get started.

I have registered with the CAA and obtained Flyer and Operator id's so now to buy a drone!

Having never flown a drone before I'm uncertain whether to start with the Mavic Mini and learn the basics and then upgrade, or jump straight in with the Mavic Air 2.

I know I have a lot to learn and no amount of watching online tutorials etc will beat (the steep) hands on learning curve.

Although the initial cost is a consideration, should I start with the Mini or go straight for the MA2 and take things very slowly?

I look forward to your views and advice.
Hi @DorsetDrifter, and welcome!

I was in the same position as you a month ago. I like photography and wanted to give drone videography a try.

I opted for the Mini. It is not as well spec'd as the Air 2, but I figured that if this whole drone malarkey wasn't for me, then it would be really easy to sell it on without losing out too much money.

Others have mentioned issues with its performance in medium/strong winds - and that's true, you've got to be careful. It only has downward sensors, so again, you've got to be aware of your surroundings. To me, these points are not really issues... To my mind, these 'drawbacks' represent a learning opportunity.

So far, I'm enjoying myself. If this continues, I'll trade up to a Mavic 2 Pro and skip the Air 2.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I was you 6 weeks ago however I never considered a mini...
Jump in to the MA2 because if you dont you will have a mini sitting on the shelf and a MA2 in the sky.
Just take it slow and be alert....cause you know the world always needs more lerts
Enjoy
Thanks for your advice.

Again you're confirming my thoughts. I guess it's now time to find a deal and press the button! ?

Hi, I'm new to the exciting world of drones. I am a keen photograher but never done any video work. I have been intrigued by the world of drones for some time and now that I have more free time want to get started.

I have registered with the CAA and obtained Flyer and Operator id's so now to buy a drone!

Having never flown a drone before I'm uncertain whether to start with the Mavic Mini and learn the basics and then upgrade, or jump straight in with the Mavic Air 2.

I know I have a lot to learn and no amount of watching online tutorials etc will beat (the steep) hands on learning curve.

Although the initial cost is a consideration, should I start with the Mini or go straight for the MA2 and take things very slowly?

Apart from extra ££ lost if all goes wrong, go for MA2. Learn to fly safely/confidentiality on the drone you plan to get. I’m still learning on MA1, getting more confident every flight. Glad I didn’t get a MM just for the price!

I'm also new and started with the Mini. If and when I decide to upgrade I reckon I'll be able to sell my Mini for 80-85% of what it cost me originally and I didnt have the worry of smashing up a £900 drone as a beginner. Saying that you can take out the DJI Care Refresh for peace of mind.

Apart from extra ££ lost if all goes wrong, go for MA2. Learn to fly safely/confidentiality on the drone you plan to get. I’m still learning on MA1, getting more confident every flight. Glad I didn’t get a MM just for the price!
Thanks, You're confirming my thoughts.
I'm also new and started with the Mini. If and when I decide to upgrade I reckon I'll be able to sell my Mini for 80-85% of what it cost me originally and I didnt have the worry of smashing up a £900 drone as a beginner. Saying that you can take out the DJI Care Refresh for peace of mind.
Thanks, The DJI Care Refresh certainly seems like a no brainer.
I'm going to confuse our Colonial Cousins now by saying that I personally prefer clotted cream first and then the jam, so for me I'd go for the MA2 with the Fly More Kit ;)
Thanks, I have to agree with you on both counts.?

I thought the mini would be good to start with but as I intended to eventually move on to the MA2 my gut was saying go straight for it unless everyone here advises against it.

I'm happy to take things slowly, although I know there'll be mishaps along the way but that's all part of learning.

I'm going to buy the MA2 with the Fly More combo, car charger and DJI Care Refresh.

Now where to buy from? My preference would be my local camera shop as I would still rather deal face to face than buy blind over the net, but they are waiting for stock and can't give a date at the moment.

Thanks, I've had lot's of good advice from the forum which has been much appreciated. I just have to source it now and I'm good to go! Thumbswayup

Last edited:

It sounds silly but when I was in the market to buy an RV, I asked the same advice and the answer was, if you can afford by your last RV first. If that does not make since, 4 RV's later I have my last RV. I started out small coming from RC helicopters and bought a cheap drone to see if I liked it.....the flying of a drone is not as challenging because it does not do stunts but there are other things to make it fun. What is not fun is being without your hobby....ie crashes etc so I would suggest you buy a drone if you can afford it with as many sensors as you can get such as the M2 pro, fly smart and enjoy.

WDK

I was you 6 weeks ago however I never considered a mini...
Jump in to the MA2 because if you dont you will have a mini sitting on the shelf and a MA2 in the sky.
Just take it slow and be alert....cause you know the world always needs more lerts
Enjoy
The OP could opt for an MA2, but as he's never flown a drone before, that could also be gathering dust on a shelf if he doesn't like flying drones after all. It's a lot of money to spank for the sake of 'I think I might like this hobby'.

Drones can be sold, they don't have to gather dust. I'd respectfully suggest that the market for pre loved MMs is more active/bouyant than that for MA2s.

IMHO, The OP had already decided to get an MA2 and was just looking for others to support his decision. There's been no acknowledgement from him to anyone who's suggested otherwise.

IMHO, The OP had already decided to get an MA2 and was just looking for others to support his decision. There's been no acknowledgement from him to anyone who's suggested otherwise.
I guess you're right. I was looking for confirmation of my own thoughts, which I think I've received.

That said, I'm not that blinked that I do not listen to other peoples views and would have been quite happy to go with the mini. I wanted to make the right decision.

I am grateful for everyones views and feedback.

Why not look at the Inspire?

Same boat: Air 2! Without a doubt! Fantastic piece of kit, for fun and for photography. Jump in the deeper end of the pool ......... more power, stability, flying time, features ..... and buy the Fly More Combo with the extra batteries and accessories. Enjoy! ?
Hi DorsetDrifter welcome to Mavic Pilots
If you intend to end up with an Air 2 it’s more foolhardy to get a Mini first, just go for the Air2 & save the cost of the Mini

New flyer advice.
Wide open space.
Slow & easy.
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to reed the manual ;)
Evil ...... I like that description! ?

Welcome to you, Dorset Drifter, from Hauptmann in Texas, USA.

Tough decision. They're both very good drones. For me, it'd be a matter of economics. If I could afford and justify the extra expense, I'd likely go for the MA2.

On the other hand, it may be prudent to get the Mini for learning piloting skills. You will crash it and you will lose it. Better to do this with a lower cost machine.

The Mini is fine for learning precision flying and landing, and practicing until your stick movements become second nature--so that you can make subtle adjustments using your autonomous nervous system, and without conscious thought. This is how you steer your car or type a letter. Then upgrade to a more expensive, more powerful drone.

But it's like most everything else in life. You pay your money, and take your choice. Either way, we're glad to have you as a member!
Buy the Air 2. The risk of crashing or losing it is close to zero, if you are careful and keep obstacle avoidance on and watch your battery levels, winds, GPS and controller reception levels etc. And maintain line of sight. The Air 2 is very stable and responsive, especially with the Ocusync 2 comms.

Buy the Air 2. The risk of crashing or losing it is close to zero, if you are careful and keep obstacle avoidance on and watch your battery levels, winds, GPS and controller reception levels etc. And maintain line of sight. The Air 2 is very stable and responsive, especially with the Ocusync 2 comms.

Those are the very reasons why I chose the M2......I would have bought the Air 2 but for it missing a couple of sensors.

WDK

My rule in life is to buy or acquire the biggest most powerful thing you can. Why go for the mini when you can get a killer camera setup on the MA2 and be more productive in the long run. As for photography, remember it is not the cost of the equipment in your bag, it's the eye that is looking through the viewfinder!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji