DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Novice in UK - Should I start with Mini or go for MA2? Help please!

You will crash it and you will lose it.
I have to respectfully disagree. I bought my first drone, a P3 Standard, many years ago... I have neither crashed nor lost one since, and I feel I'm not alone in that respect. If you're responsible, careful, watch the wind, and take it slow at first, the chance of losing or crashing is low.

Skip the Mini. In the world of Mavics, it's the 'loss leader' LOL

Now where to buy from? My preference would be my local camera shop as I would still rather deal face to face than buy blind over the net, but they are waiting for stock and can't give a date at the moment.

Jessops have good deals and usually offer a 0% finance option as well. You can go into store and collect for face to face service also.

I just wanted to update and say thanks again for all the advice and comments. A few days away from the computer and more thoughts prompted by input from Andrew1977 and i.kelly1963 have made me do a U turn.

Yesterday I bought a Mavic mini with Fly More Combo and DJI Care Refresh.

First very short flight last night and loved it. I now want to spend the time learning to fly it and use its features.

I've taken the first step all be it a smaller step than I was contemplating but I feel comfortable with it.

Thanks again for all advice received and noted.

I've taken the first step all be it a smaller step than I was contemplating but I feel comfortable with it.

Congratulations! Many happy hours with your new friend.
I bought my Mavic Mini from BestBuy knowing that I could return it within so many days (30?) but I'd have to pay a 15% restocking fee. (most returns to BestBuy don't entail a restocking fee, but drones are named specifically as items that do...) I told myself that I had several weeks to decide if the Mini was for me. If not, I could return the Mini and take the $75 loss - and buy a Mavic Air 2. You probably have that same or similar option now. Personally, I'm still happy with my Mini, but I do taste a little (healthy) envy when I read discussions about the MA2. Will I eventually move up? making my initial purchase unwise? I've been having so much fun, and learning so much up to this point that I certainly don't regret my purchase of the Mavic Mini - and I hope you'll feel the same. Happy flying

Those are the very reasons why I chose the M2......I would have bought the Air 2 but for it missing a couple of sensors.

WDK
The Air 2 is my first DJI. A colleague flies the Phantom 4 for work; another has several DJI models. I had to start somewhere and did my homework on the newly released Air 2, with the Fly More Combo pack. I am very happy with this drone for ease of use and superb stability and directional control, especially as a filming platform with excellent still frame and video filming capacity. It lands on RTH from 60 metres up as if it is sliding down a rope, on to the target “H”! Fantastic precision, as long as the launch protocols are followed. Hands off into hovering and great Tripod Mode for slow control management in tight places, long battery times, good economy with the Fly More Combo and the Ocusync 2.0 comms between the RC and the drone are rock solid. I haven’t missed the side and top sensors; I am careful. ? Probably weight saving to extend battery life, from DJI. All I do miss (after watching YT vids) is a zoom lens ........ ? Stay safe! ? And enjoy every drone!

Thanks, So as I want to end up with the MA2, if I can justify the cost it's not foolhardy to start with it?

I used to fly RC helicopters. That same question would have brought a quick answer to buy small and cheap because you were going to crash and repair many times over. With a drone, you can start with whatever you want, once airborne, put down the controller, have a zip of your coffee and return to the controller, and the drone is still hovering in the same place. it is called the magic of GPS!! I would buy as much as you think you might need and can afford. As it has been said here already, read the manual and give yourself some room to practice . Also, the heavier the drone, the better it handles the wind,

I just wanted to update and say thanks again for all the advice and comments. A few days away from the computer and more thoughts prompted by input from Andrew1977 and i.kelly1963 have made me do a U turn.

Yesterday I bought a Mavic mini with Fly More Combo and DJI Care Refresh.

First very short flight last night and loved it. I now want to spend the time learning to fly it and use its features.

Thanks again for all advice received and noted.

Welcome neighbour!

You won't go wrong mate, like anywhere else common sense is key. Sounds like you've done your homework though. Spoilt for places locally to practice and fly, I'm in Poole if you ever fancy a meet up.

Take a look at Grey Arrows- UK based drone club Grey Arrows Drone Club UK and their sister site Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Error good for finding places to fly and local members.

Stay safe ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore