DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Rookie, new question.. Mini 2 Fly more or MA2 basic?

If you get the Mini you are always going to be thinking..there's a better drone out there..and there is! The Mavic Air 2
Tell your wife...if she really love's you...blah blah blah..and don't let up until she decides on the perfect gift..The Mavic Air 2

Reactions: Gary R and Tweeter
I owned a Phantom V2+ many years ago and haven't had a drone in the air for over five years, but I started to get the itch again recently. I thought the Mini would be a good place to get reacquainted with the rush of flying, and it was, for a few weeks. After joining this forum and a ton of research, I decided on the MA2 fly more combo was the best, most economical choice for me. I'll keep the mini in my golf bag and take it with me for a situation where I need something in the air unplanned, but now that I have the MA2- and with all respect to the Mini, it feels like a toy. The Mini 2 specs show improvement, but maybe not quite enough that you won't grow out of it quickly. Just my opinion, but there are wonderful people here with far more knowledge than I.

Reactions: Yeunglings
MA2 for SOOOO many reasons, but the wind issue is a deal breaker for a Mini 2. 95% of the time I fly, wind is a factor. Drift is not only unacceptable, but the risk of loss and drifting into a tree is a constant threat.

Reactions: hiflyer201
If your GF is interfering with your drone.... dump the GF and get another drone! ?

Ah she is ok with my 3 Motorbikes, so cant be bad :) just will not notice a Black Drone becoming a Grey Drone lol
Yeah Mini to Air 2 ... close enough. ;) I was trying to figure out how to switch from DJI to Autel without my wife noticing... that ain't gonna happen.

Yeah Mini to Air 2 ... close enough. ;) I was trying to figure out how to switch from DJI to Autel without my wife noticing... that ain't gonna happen.
Autel is still having serious problems right now with the EVO 2's firmware. I'd hold off if you're going to do that.

Same new guy, different question.. as some of you might know I was asking about the MA2 a few days ago.. but now I see all the hub bub about the new Mini 2... I can get the Mini 2 fly more for about $200 less than the Mavic Air 2 basic package. Now mind you this is just a recreational drone for me and my first one (birthday is in a couple weeks now, the wife is buying). So am I better off with the MA2 or the MM2 FMP??

So is there any big advantage to either, really?
Buy MA2 since your wife pay for it.

Had a Mavic Mini, sold it and bought an Air 2 base package.

I won’t be long winded. Get the MA2. Even with one battery, you’re getting a far superior drone. I’ve since pieced my kit together over time. It’s a perfectly fine way to go. I bought the Mavic 2 Pro’s case and it’s a much better way to go IMO. That’s a luxury of choice that you won’t have if you buy the FMC. That extra space is key. Bought 1 spare battery later on as well.. It’s about exactly perfect for my needs at the moment. People say you need a minimum of 3 batteries,.. When I had the mini with the 3 batteries, I can honestly say there was never an instance where I sat and flew 3 batteries in one sitting. That’s just me though... Yes it’s more cost effective to get the FMC and get the 3 batteries for only slightly more,.. But only if you’re actually going to make use of the 3 batteries in the first place. It’s like, buy 2 shoes and get the 3rd one for 20% price..

Reactions: A.O.
Totally biased as I fly an Air 2 bought with the Fly More Combo pack. You would not be disappointed. And your partner may confirm that bigger is (usually) better ...... ???????? Enjoy the rides!!!

How much do RPAS laws affect you? I got the Mini because there are places I can't legally fly my Mavic 2, and I'm considering the Mini 2 for the same reason — more flexibility in where I can fly, with better performance in the wind. (Given a choice I use the Mavic 2, but sometimes the Mini lets me get the shots I want without breaking the law.)

According to Stewart Carroll of Drone Film Guide the wind performance of the Mini 2 is noticeably better than the Mini.

I travel with three batteries which gets me about an hour of flying (because I don't risk forced landings). I would find one battery very limiting, but your usage pattern might be different so go with what will work for you.

Given that winter is fast approaching and the Mini (either version) doesn't do well in sub-zero temperatures I'll likely hold of any purchases until the spring. I'm tempted, but for me the Mini 2 is a want not a need.

How much do RPAS laws affect you? I got the Mini because there are places I can't legally fly my Mavic 2, and I'm considering the Mini 2 for the same reason — more flexibility in where I can fly, with better performance in the wind. (Given a choice I use the Mavic 2, but sometimes the Mini lets me get the shots I want without breaking the law.)

According to Stewart Carroll of Drone Film Guide the wind performance of the Mini 2 is noticeably better than the Mini.

I travel with three batteries which gets me about an hour of flying (because I don't risk forced landings). I would find one battery very limiting, but your usage pattern might be different so go with what will work for you.

Given that winter is fast approaching and the Mini (either version) doesn't do well in sub-zero temperatures I'll likely hold of any purchases until the spring. I'm tempted, but for me the Mini 2 is a want not a need.
Ok, not sure what RPAS laws are, they are not in the Acronyms list. I will fly 99% on my property I would think, rarely if ever do we see sub-zero temps here in SC.. its 77 right now on Nov 7th!

RPAS = Remote Piloted Aircraft System. Quadcopters are one class, but the law as written includes any remotely piloted aircraft.

In Canada there is a sharp legal difference that kicks in at 250g. I have my Basic RPAS license (required for any flight), but to fly in a Control Zone I'd not only need an Advanced license but also have to get advanced clearance from NavCan. (Most of Toronto is part of a Control Zone for one or the other of the three airports we have here.) With a Mini I can legally fly locally without jumping through hoops.

If you're flying close to home then having multiple batteries might not be such an issue for you. I usually drive and hike several hours when flying, so having multiple batteries is essential. It would be different if I could just walk out my back door and take off (which I kinda envy).

It's 21° right now (so shorts weather) but usually November is single-digits or sub-zero. Which is not really a problem for the Mavic 2 (one reason I got it).

RPAS = Remote Piloted Aircraft System. Quadcopters are one class, but the law as written includes any remotely piloted aircraft.

In Canada there is a sharp legal difference that kicks in at 250g. I have my Basic RPAS license (required for any flight), but to fly in a Control Zone I'd not only need an Advanced license but also have to get advanced clearance from NavCan. (Most of Toronto is part of a Control Zone for one or the other of the three airports we have here.) With a Mini I can legally fly locally without jumping through hoops.

If you're flying close to home then having multiple batteries might not be such an issue for you. I usually drive and hike several hours when flying, so having multiple batteries is essential. It would be different if I could just walk out my back door and take off (which I kinda envy).

It's 21° right now (so shorts weather) but usually November is single-digits or sub-zero. Which is not really a problem for the Mavic 2 (one reason I got it).
Thanks for the acronym lesson! There is a difference here in the states at 250 gr also but doesn't warrant a license just registration (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new and learning) . Yes most of my flying will be just walking out my door and doing it, same as my hunting shooting and fishing. A lot of my wanting a drone is to monitor my property.

Same new guy, different question.. as some of you might know I was asking about the MA2 a few days ago.. but now I see all the hub bub about the new Mini 2... I can get the Mini 2 fly more for about $200 less than the Mavic Air 2 basic package. Now mind you this is just a recreational drone for me and my first one (birthday is in a couple weeks now, the wife is buying). So am I better off with the MA2 or the MM2 FMP??

As if you need more input and opinions, but here is my experience. I bought a Mini fly more. Definitely buy the fly more. One battery is gone in 20 minutes or so. The advertised battery life is not what is wise to fly. I learned the hard way. I love how easy it is to put the Mini in my pocket and go. Also, everything is the Mini fly more will fit in the handy little carry case, except the prop guards and I rarely us those. The Mini is fun, and easy to take with you. With the Mini, in the case and one of those folding landing pads (definitely get one) you can be ready to fly in a couple of minutes. The larger drones are just that, larger. You can't put one of them in one pocket and the controller in another an go like the Mini. So I really like my Mini and highly recommend it. I don't know your finances, but I do know that a lot of flyers who can afford both praise the Mini.

As if you need more input and opinions, but here is my experience. I bought a Mini fly more. Definitely buy the fly more. One battery is gone in 20 minutes or so. The advertised battery life is not what is wise to fly. I learned the hard way. I love how easy it is to put the Mini in my pocket and go. Also, everything is the Mini fly more will fit in the handy little carry case, except the prop guards and I rarely us those. The Mini is fun, and easy to take with you. With the Mini, in the case and one of those folding landing pads (definitely get one) you can be ready to fly in a couple of minutes. The larger drones are just that, larger. You can't put one of them in one pocket and the controller in another an go like the Mini. So I really like my Mini and highly recommend it. I don't know your finances, but I do know that a lot of flyers who can afford both praise the Mini.
I will make a landing platform out of wood or something, I do not need to take it anywhere. I'm getting a drone to fly not carry it around in my pocket. Everybody's use is different, mine is just for around the Homefront. Wont be taking it anywhere.. at least that's the plan, but sometimes things change..

If she's springing for it;) Go for the MA2 Fly More Kit with Auto-Activated Care Refresh. If you trash it you get another new drone for $69. No other costs including shipping. There's really no question in my mind. You're lucky she loves you that much.

But you are required to FAA register the 570g MA2 @ 5$/3yr. MA2 has Fnt/Rr collision avoidance; MM1/2 have downward only. MA2 has much greater range of Video capabilities; and faster flight/higher flt ceiling (MA2 5000m MSL/26.8mph, MM2 4000m/22.4, MM1 3000m/17.9 in Normal mode).

The MA2 is very stable in crosswinds and headwinds. While the MM2 has the higher thrust prop motors to fight the same magnitude winds they will cut your flight time down as it struggles against them. Speaking of Propellers, the MA2 quick disconnect props are so easy to swap out. Chip up the props on a MM1/2, you'll be fiddling with tiny screws that youll never see again when dropped in the grass. Securing batteries in MM1/2 is a matter I've considered. Mavics have a love attraction to trees, especially in sport mode. If lucky and the drone is heavy enough itll tumble through the branches to ground with battery still onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
I will make a landing platform out of wood or something, I do not need to take it anywhere. I'm getting a drone to fly not carry it around in my pocket. Everybody's use is different, mine is just for around the Homefront. Wont be taking it anywhere.. at least that's the plan, but sometimes things change..
Many folks use a car mat. You really shouldn't mow the grass and fallen twigs. Prop leading edges remaining sharp is impotent.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Many folks use a car mat. You really shouldn't mow the grass and fallen twigs. Prop leading edges remaining sharp is impotent.
Good to know about the grass and stuff, and as far as the car mat I was just thinking something bigger.. maybe like a 4'x4' pad. Half sheet of plywood or something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000