DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Rookie, new question.. Mini 2 Fly more or MA2 basic?

A.O.

Reactions
Same new guy, different question.. as some of you might know I was asking about the MA2 a few days ago.. but now I see all the hub bub about the new Mini 2... I can get the Mini 2 fly more for about $200 less than the Mavic Air 2 basic package. Now mind you this is just a recreational drone for me and my first one (birthday is in a couple weeks now, the wife is buying). So am I better off with the MA2 or the MM2 FMP??

So is there any big advantage to either, really?

Reactions: RWP
Same new guy, different question.. as some of you might know I was asking about the MA2 a few days ago.. but now I see all the hub bub about the new Mini 2... I can get the Mini 2 fly more for about $200 less than the Mavic Air 2 basic package. Now mind you this is just a recreational drone for me and my first one (birthday is in a couple weeks now, the wife is buying). So am I better off with the MA2 or the MM2 FMP??

So is there any big advantage to either, really?
Ask yourself these questions,
  1. Does it really matter to you to have a sub 250 gram drone?
  2. Will you be flying in wind or windy days at all?
  3. Are you going to use the obstacle avoidance technology or just fly it?
  4. Do you like the Asteroid quick shot or the other ones?

If your answer is
No, No, No, No then go for a mini if any of your answers are yes they think MA2.

Just my two cents. I own a old mini and an Air 2. :)

They are both great drones but the air 2 is much better to fly in windy conditions. It is simply overall a stronger drone, faster, more fun to fly and worth the extra money. The lone advantage of the Mini 2 is that it is slightly more compact for carrying in a backpack etc. You will have to register the air 2 but that is easily done. I also suggest you get the fly more combo package with the air 2. The 2 extra batteries alone make it well worth the price and you will be glad you have them. IMO It is The best bang for the buck out there in the Drone market. You see here is the thing, if you start with the Mini 2 and then get addicted to the hobby, which you probably will, then you will want to upgrade to the air 2. So you might as well start with the air 2 as this will save you money in the long run. You are indeed lucky to have such a sweet wife.

Last edited:
To answer your question- IT DEPENDS. The MA2 and Mini2 share some features. Ocusync 2 connectivity. 4k video with other camera features and similar controllers. They both use the GoFly app. But they both have their strengths. I have a Mini 1 and can tell you the major weakness of the Mini1 is flying in higher winds. It is my opinion that DJI has addressed this in the Mini 2... but only to some extent IMO as the batteries pump a bit more power and the angle but I'm not sure how, being so small and light can be any better in terms of stability. The battery pumps a little more power into the motors and DJI has increased the maximum angle of attack (I forgot the technical term) where it can more effectively fly into stronger winds. And while an improvement, it cannot beat the MA2's ability to withstand winds and gusts because simply, the MA2 has much stronger motors. I found myself sitting out many days with the Mini1 due to stronger winds and believe it won't be that much different with the Mini2.

The Mini2 is a great entry level drone and yet the camera can provide professional quality images and video. You can take it on vacation without sacrificing a lot of space for packing other stuff. The batteries are cheaper than the MA2 or Mavic 2 which might alone be the deciding factor. IMO, with a little skill and practice and care you can fly the Mini indoors, which would be more difficult with the MA2 or larger drones.

If you were in Canada or a European country where the difference in weight puts you in a different category that makes you jump through hoops with a larger drone the Mini is the clear choice. Vacationing in Mexico, the Mini wins because they have "very interesting" laws concerning extranjeros (foreigners) and drones for anything larger. As far as the Mini2, like the Mini1 not being "required" to register with the FAA, in the US either way it's a non issue. It takes 10 minutes and $5 to register. And as soon as you put any accessories on it, leg extensions, lights (highly recommended btw) you'll be over the limit and need to register anyway.

But if you're new to UAV beware: This hobby is highly addictive. And perhaps I'm in a different category than you, being a decades long professional photographer, but it only took me 5 weeks to buy a Mavic 2 Pro after owning my Mini 1 for weeks. Had I purchased the MA2 first, I'm certain I would still only own that one drone (at least for now). The Mini 2 might have delayed the upgrade as it seems to fill in a lot of what the Mini1 might have had.

If your choice is constrained by budget and it's simply Mini 2 Fly More combo vs Air 2 standalone. Then Mini 2 is the clear winner. Whatever drone you buy, 3 or more batteries is a minimal requirement, as is a suitable bag/case to carry your drone in. If you can stretch your budget to an Air 2 Fly More combo, then you got a real cost-benefit analysis to make.

Advantages of Mini 2: (In order of importance)
1) Cheaper by nearly $400. (comparing Fly More combos)
2) Don't need to register with FAA because it is under 250g.
3) Marginally more portable because it is smaller and more compact.
4) It's prettier. (Subjective, I know).

Advantages of the Air 2
1) The camera sensor is a bit bigger. This gives you better performance in low light conditions. (I mean dusk/dawn shots, not night shots.)
2) Air 2 is more stable in high winds and less likely to be lost due to unexpected gusts.
3) Active track and automated flight modes. You can do stuff like having your drone automatically follow your car.
4) Obstacle avoidance. Reduces the risk of crashing your drone because it has front and rear collision sensors. It does not have side sensors though.

If you just consider how many Minis on this forum alone were lost to the wind and that they could not use there DJI refresh ,
it will help you make the decision. Wind is a constant variable that needs to be negotiated on every flight , one lapse on your part
and your Mini might not be coming back.

The New Mini does have some better wind control because DJI knew it was a problem, but its to soon to tell if its a game changer or not but with the Air 2 it was never an issue.

You will also find better third party parts for the Air 2 something that should also be considered.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

Last edited:
If you just consider how many Minis on this forum alone were lost to the wind and that they could not use there DJI refresh ,
it will help you make the decision. Wind is a constant variable that needs to be negotiated on every flight , one lapse on your part
and your Mini might not be coming back.

The New Mini does have some better wind control because DJI knew it was a problem, but its to soon to tell if its a game changer or not but with
the Air 2 it was never an issue. You will also find better third party parts for the Air 2 something that should also be considered.
We won't know definitively until some folks here, especially those who have owned the Mini 1 can tell give you personal comparative experience. My GUESS, from what I've read, is that addressing the wind issue was a tweak, not an overhaul. It provides more pitch and a bit more juice to fight some fly-aways, but what will that mean in real terms. The way to compare the Minis with the MA2 is via top speed. The Mini1 can do 26mph. I'm not sure if the Mini2 will have a higher top speed, but some more "effective power", but to what equivalent, 30mph? The MA2 has a top speed is 42.5mph, with considerably stronger motors than either of the Minis. It should be noted that the Mini 2 is being advertised as being able to withstand Catergory 5 winds (on the Beufort Scale) which is designated as "fresh breeze". The Mavic Air 2 in sport mode has a wind resistance of 18mph-23mph winds. It's hard to say on a practical level if there is a direct transposition, but knowing that the MA2 has approximately 40% more speed power one can make some general assumptions. And, at 570 grams, more than twice the weight of both Mini's the MA2 will natually be more stable than then Minis in all but light conditions even if the winds allow generally safe flying. Even the beefier, more powerful Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom can get pushed around sometimes in spite of having a top speed of 45mph. But note that the M2 Pro/Zoom isn't that much more powerful than the Mavic Air2.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Work mate picked up A Mav Mini second hand this week, now already looking at getting the Mav Air 2, for the extra range.

I just ordered a Mav Air 2 tonight myself as I was impressed with the Mav Mini, But want the Extra Range and Upgrades.

Ask yourself these questions,
  1. Does it really matter to you to have a sub 250 gram drone? No
  2. Will you be flying in wind or windy days at all? Maybe
  3. Are you going to use the obstacle avoidance technology or just fly it? Probably yes, nice to have I think
  4. Do you like the Asteroid quick shot or the other ones? Not a clue what that is

If your answer is
No, No, No, No then go for a mini if any of your answers are yes they think MA2.

Just my two cents. I own a old mini and an Air 2. :)
So I'm thinking the MA2 I guess

I have only been flying 4 months or there about so still real "green".
I got the Mini to start out with but just 2 days later upgraded to the MA2 for all the reasons listed above.
The Mini 2 has some upgrades but the MA2 is a different beast altogether from the Mini, all good beast though!
I just fly as a hobby but as some others have pointed out "you get hooked real quick and real hard". I'd put out for the MA2 Fly More off the batt as spare batteries are £110 a go and 1 battery is just a tease for real. I have 4 now and could still do with more! 3 gets you started and you can add 1 each month or whatever. I'd defo say spring for the MA2!
Just my opinion

LOL.........Forgot to tell GF new drone on its way, maybe that's why it is being delivered to work, then Old none DJI drone can disappear lol. A Drone is a Drone to her LOL
If your GF is interfering with your drone.... dump the GF and get another drone! ?

Reactions: RobertR
If your GF is interfering with your drone.... dump the GF and get another drone! ?

Ah she is ok with my 3 Motorbikes, so cant be bad :) just will not notice a Black Drone becoming a Grey Drone lol

• Haha
Reactions: Heindrich1988
I have the MM and MA2 and both are fun to fly and have their place and purpose. Some days at the park or beach I just can't risk pulling out the Mini because of the wind but have no problem with the MA2. I'd have to agree with what has been said that though there are definite improvements on the mini2 vs MM1 but that some things we just won't know until enough people take it out to fly. The weight to motor size/ power could be a concern but who knows yet. The MM is a super fun drone to fly for $400us or $500us in the fly more combo. The basic setup for the MM2 is only a $50us bump for SO many improvements but then the jump of $150us for the fly more with comparatively less bang for your buck than with the original mini and FMC. With the MA2 you get most of the great things from the bigger Mavic series but for significantly less at $800us and only another $190us for almost $400 worth of gear in the fmc. If it were me doing it all over today I'd either do the same thing and start with the OG mini first and then get the MA2 down the road when I was more comfortable or I'd go right for the MA2. The price difference between the Mini 2 and the MA2 are too close while still being the better value to get the MA2 especially in the FMC.

Reactions: Rchawks and NAVMAV
So I'm thinking I'll still be begging the wife for the MA2.. :)
Have her pitch in the money she would have spent on the mini and you cover the difference for the MA2 flymore(Flymore = great idea. add up the battery cost alone) . I love my mini it's my rip around the park drone. The air 2 and others have jobs to do . I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and it gets wild with the wind coming off the rockies some(most)days so the mini gets grounded all the time. Welcome to hobby BTW

Reactions: Gary R
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll