DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Rookie, new question.. Mini 2 Fly more or MA2 basic?

Good to know about the grass and stuff, and as far as the car mat I was just thinking something bigger.. maybe like a 4'x4' pad. Half sheet of plywood or something.

Seriously, you really DON'T need Bigger!

The Landing Mat only gives The Bird something to look for when returning. It may land perfectly on a car mat, BUT even if not, it will land close enough to count.

Also, carrying ANYTHING 4' x 4' is NOT portable, in our opinion. Most of us have old car mats lying around in the attic, or garage - ZERO cost!!!

Rgds, NAVMAV

Seriously, you really DON'T need Bigger!

The Landing Mat only gives The Bird something to look for when returning. It may land perfectly on a car mat, BUT even if not, it will land close enough to count.

Also, carrying ANYTHING 4' x 4' is NOT portable, in our opinion. Most of us have old car mats lying around in the attic, or garage - ZERO cost!!!

Rgds, NAVMAV
I do not need portable, I am not going to take it anywhere.. maybe across my pond to the field on the other side but thats about it.

bro I just had to make the same decision . I went with the basic MA2 and got another battery off facebook for 40 bucks. I had the mini 1 and loved it. But let e tell you the MA2 is a bad *** drone way better camera and handles the wind amazing

Reactions: A.O.
Same new guy, different question.. as some of you might know I was asking about the MA2 a few days ago.. but now I see all the hub bub about the new Mini 2... I can get the Mini 2 fly more for about $200 less than the Mavic Air 2 basic package. Now mind you this is just a recreational drone for me and my first one (birthday is in a couple weeks now, the wife is buying). So am I better off with the MA2 or the MM2 FMP??

So is there any big advantage to either, really?
If you act like a 52 year old, your safe to go with the MM2;) Stay out of Sport mode (top speed 35.8mph/57.6kph in no wind), coasting to a stop is many yards away, expecially with a 10mph (4.47m/s) wind behind it. If it looks like collision is imminent (I'm thinking, AH CRAP!) - my left thumb is reacting with full power ascend @ 5m/s. Does the Fly More include a charging hub to recharge multiple batteries. Thats a question Id have. Remember the MM2 has no other crash avoidance sensor other than downward. I dont know how much fun it is flying around in a football field or open city park. Be sure to get a good grip on moving that Gimbal around. Keep your eyes on a swivel. Keeping "Line of Sight" view of that knat in the sky and Gimbal Pitch and Yaw alive, will keep your $600+ toy out of trouble. Get a handle on Updating RTH to Controller location. Too sad they (DJI) dont offer the Care Refresh on the MM2. Its cheap crash insurance. Happy Birthday.

I do not need portable, I am not going to take it anywhere.. maybe across my pond to the field on the other side but thats about it.
Unless you're always launching from a clean bare surface, A car mat is better than mowing the grasses and chipping props on unseen sticks and twigs. The prop leading edges are sharp and need to stay that way, for several reasons. Though minor dings wont upset the apple cart they can impact noise, stability, and speed; small degrees. Prop wash raises dust and grit and are damaging, over time, to prop motors and Gimbal.

If you act like a 52 year old, your safe to go with the MM2;) Stay out of Sport mode (top speed 35.8mph/57.6kph in no wind), coasting to a stop is many yards away, expecially with a 10mph (4.47m/s) wind behind it. If it looks like collision is imminent (I'm thinking, AH CRAP!) - my left thumb is reacting with full power ascend @ 5m/s. Does the Fly More include a charging hub to recharge multiple batteries. Thats a question Id have. Remember the MM2 has no other crash avoidance sensor other than downward. I dont know how much fun it is flying around in a football field or open city park. Be sure to get a good grip on moving that Gimbal around. Keep your eyes on a swivel. Keeping "Line of Sight" view of that knat in the sky and Gimbal Pitch and Yaw alive, will keep your $600+ toy out of trouble. Get a handle on Updating RTH to Controller location. Too sad they (DJI) dont offer the Care Refresh on the MM2. Its cheap crash insurance. Happy Birthday.
HA!! Its been a long time since I was 52 but I'll try! ;)

Unless you're always launching from a clean bare surface, A car mat is better than mowing the grasses and chipping props on unseen sticks and twigs. The prop leading edges are sharp and need to stay that way, for several reasons. Though minor dings wont upset the apple cart they can impact noise, stability, and speed; small degrees. Prop wash raises dust and grit and are damaging, over time, to prop motors and Gimbal.
Thanks, I'll have to come up with something as my dirt here is nothing but beach sand, very abrasive, heck it even eats my lawnmower blades. Maybe a slightly raised platform or something.

Just to chime in on the landing pad idea. They can save you a lot of grief and potentially money on props and motors because of kicked up dust or sand in addition to cutting in to the grass or dealing with little twigs. I have a 30" pad that twists down to about 11", weighs well less than a pound and cost about the same as a pair of propellers for the MM. I dont use it a lot but its always in my bag in case I decide to fly at the beach, the grass is longer than I'd like or there's nothing but loose dirt. Sure, I could hand launch and recover but having the pad means I dont have to juggle things around or be perfect.

Reactions: Tufargon
Just bite the bullet and get the MA2, you won't regret it. I went from a Spark to a Mini 1 to the MA2, and I lost $$$ in the end. The MA2 is heavier so it can handle winds better, it has obstacle avoidance sensors, a better camera sensor, easier to see during the day and night (navigation lights), longer battery life, etc.

Reactions: rickfmdj
Nether of the MMs have precision landing so they can be a few feet off target in RTH.

I'm sure there's refresh available for the MM2. Why wouldn't there be? DJI offers it for all their products released in the last several years. Before refresh they offered repairs until the cumulative repair cost exceeded the retail cost of the drone.

Just my 2 cents weighing in here. Some of the reviews comparing the MM and MM2 are really not fair.
The MM2 flies completely different than the MM. The upgrades are quite noticeable. from strength, speed, control, distance, camera and overall feel in the air. I don't have nor pretend to know about the MA2, however based on the difference in weight and obstacle avoidance among many others, the MA2 may be better suited to your purpose. I have been flying for almost 10 years: DJI phantom, AEE AP10, AEE 11 Pro, MM, MM2, M2Pro and many toy grade drones and airplanes and car/tucks/boats. It depends on what you need and what you want. If you will be spending more $$ on drones, maybe the MM2 and then an upgrade to M2Pro (or by then, the M3Pro). I still own them all. I owned the M2PRO before the mini. I love the mini for pure fun. The Mini2 is fun and much more reliable (in soo many way) than the mini. I will probably never own the MA or MA2 because it seems to be overlapped below by the MM2 and above by the M2PRO. AS was mentioned in other posts, you will become quickly addicted. So plan on future upgrades or new drone purchases and fly responsibly, but always have fun. Welcome to the hobby and your new addiction.

Reactions: Tufargon
Thinking about what you wrote, I think in your case the Mavic Air is a better choice. No legal issues with the weight, and you will get better wind resistance.

Reactions: NG Wildman
My two cents worth: I would get the MA2 Standard and use the leftover money to buy an extra battery. That is more than enough to get you started.

If there is still some more budget left, then get the 6-in-1 USB charger, a good bag, and a lipo battery protection case and you are good to go. For the bag, you need not even buy one and you can just repurpose some bag you have lying around.

The filters in the FMC are nice to have but not needed. I would rather pass on these, save up, and get another set.

My two cents worth: I would get the MA2 Standard and use the leftover money to buy an extra battery. That is more than enough to get you started.

If there is still some more budget left, then get the 6-in-1 USB charger, a good bag, and a lipo battery protection case and you are good to go. For the bag, you need not even buy one and you can just repurpose some bag you have lying around.

The filters in the FMC are nice to have but not needed. I would rather pass on these, save up, and get another set.
How bout this?? Extra battery , hard case, extra props but wrong ones, sent them back.
IMG_4431.JPG

Reactions: icecoldgin
How bout this?? Extra battery , hard case, extra props but wrong ones, sent them back.
View attachment 118829
Since I lost my Mini, I am considering this option.

I did the math and for the price of the MA2 FMC, I can get an MA2 Standard, one extra battery, a 6-in-1 USB Charger, propeller guards, sun shade/hood, LiPo safe bag (3 slots), and even a remote throw kit with about US$50 left over. The remote throw kit is not necessary but would be nice to have, hehehehe.

For the bag, it appears that the MA2, controller and some accessories will fit my Lowepro camera bag. If not, I do have a Pelican case that I used during my diving days lying around and I can repurpose this for the MA2 if ever. ;)

To answer your question- IT DEPENDS. The MA2 and Mini2 share some features. Ocusync 2 connectivity. 4k video with other camera features and similar controllers. They both use the GoFly app. But they both have their strengths. I have a Mini 1 and can tell you the major weakness of the Mini1 is flying in higher winds. It is my opinion that DJI has addressed this in the Mini 2... but only to some extent IMO as the batteries pump a bit more power and the angle but I'm not sure how, being so small and light can be any better in terms of stability. The battery pumps a little more power into the motors and DJI has increased the maximum angle of attack (I forgot the technical term) where it can more effectively fly into stronger winds. And while an improvement, it cannot beat the MA2's ability to withstand winds and gusts because simply, the MA2 has much stronger motors. I found myself sitting out many days with the Mini1 due to stronger winds and believe it won't be that much different with the Mini2.

The Mini2 is a great entry level drone and yet the camera can provide professional quality images and video. You can take it on vacation without sacrificing a lot of space for packing other stuff. The batteries are cheaper than the MA2 or Mavic 2 which might alone be the deciding factor. IMO, with a little skill and practice and care you can fly the Mini indoors, which would be more difficult with the MA2 or larger drones.

If you were in Canada or a European country where the difference in weight puts you in a different category that makes you jump through hoops with a larger drone the Mini is the clear choice. Vacationing in Mexico, the Mini wins because they have "very interesting" laws concerning extranjeros (foreigners) and drones for anything larger. As far as the Mini2, like the Mini1 not being "required" to register with the FAA, in the US either way it's a non issue. It takes 10 minutes and $5 to register. And as soon as you put any accessories on it, leg extensions, lights (highly recommended btw) you'll be over the limit and need to register anyway.

But if you're new to UAV beware: This hobby is highly addictive. And perhaps I'm in a different category than you, being a decades long professional photographer, but it only took me 5 weeks to buy a Mavic 2 Pro after owning my Mini 1 for weeks. Had I purchased the MA2 first, I'm certain I would still only own that one drone (at least for now). The Mini 2 might have delayed the upgrade as it seems to fill in a lot of what the Mini1 might have had.
Aside from better wind-handling of the MA2, has it proved more reliable (overly broad question, I know) than the Mini 2. I've yet to fly my new Mini 2 because of multiple problems with connection, compass calibration, etc., and I still have a week left on return window. I'm a retired professional still and motion photographer who appreciates quality, but the drone will serve more for landscapes, casual boating videos, etc. I can afford the extra cost of the MA2 fly more package. I got spooked by my Spark flyaway, so I'm gun-shy with the Mini 2 exhibiting quirks. By the way, the 4k video of the Mini 2 is excellent, quite impressive. And I shoot 4k with an APS-C sensor as well as a 1-inch sensor, and I'm still impressed with the Mini 2 4k. I've so far used it as a remote camera to record birds up close. The 4k "zoom" still produces excellent quality by cropping the sensor. Impressive feat. I can only assume the MA2 is even better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan