DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Rookie questions

I had never flown a proper (not toy) drone before I got my Bebop 2 (I've since upgraded to a Mavic Air).
This was one of my earlier videos I filmed, asking the same question. The Bebop 2 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Mavic, or the steadiness, but you can see in this video how relatively easy it is to control.
As you will be in a big wide obstacle free area (just ensure you are high enough to miss any trees or power lines, but within your country restrictions) just try it and have fun! If all else fails, hit RTH (Return To Home)(after ensuring you set the height suitably)

Reactions: A.O.
The MA2 is a good choice and likely will exceed you needs as described. Here’s A link to the online only full DJI manual to give you a better idea of the capabilities of the drone.
If your goal is good video, pictures, short learning curve, and crash protection, spend a little more and get the Mavic 2 Pro. The Air 2 has a 1/2 inch sensor. The Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" sensor and a Hasselblad camera. It takes fantastic video the best of all consumer drones. The M2P also supports Waypoints (and other programs) so you can pre program a "mission" and then you can load and fly that mission anytime. Also the M2P has crash sensors all around so it's actually hard to crash. It's very stable and easy to fly, I was flying mine within 1/2 hour being very careful at first until I got the feel of the controls. If you download and use the Litchi App it allows you to program your missions without powering up the drone so a big save on battery life. With the Litchi App you can program at your desk then just upload the mission when you're ready to use it. Here is my setup: Mavic 2 Pro, standard control unit, Ipad Mini 5 as the display, Apple Pencil, 128GB Micro USB, Litchi app, 3 batteries (you will need 3 as they only last 25 minutes), 4 position charger, various clip on mounts for optional devices. You will see drones advertised as "Fly More Systems" It is usually a good deal since most of the components in that system you will need anyway but be sure it has at least 2 batteries as they are $130 ea. If you want anymore info email me at [email protected]

Not sure how your eyes are but a good tablet is a necessity. Mini 5 is a solid choice, but there are others too. You can find a list of compatible tablets on this site. You made a good choice by reaching out via this forum.

If your goal is good video, pictures, short learning curve, and crash protection, spend a little more and get the Mavic 2 Pro. The Air 2 has a 1/2 inch sensor. The Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" sensor and a Hasselblad camera. It takes fantastic video the best of all consumer drones. The M2P also supports Waypoints (and other programs) so you can pre program a "mission" and then you can load and fly that mission anytime. Also the M2P has crash sensors all around so it's actually hard to crash. It's very stable and easy to fly, I was flying mine within 1/2 hour being very careful at first until I got the feel of the controls. If you download and use the Litchi App it allows you to program your missions without powering up the drone so a big save on battery life. With the Litchi App you can program at your desk then just upload the mission when you're ready to use it. Here is my setup: Mavic 2 Pro, standard control unit, Ipad Mini 5 as the display, Apple Pencil, 128GB Micro USB, Litchi app, 3 batteries (you will need 3 as they only last 25 minutes), 4 position charger, various clip on mounts for optional devices. You will see drones advertised as "Fly More Systems" It is usually a good deal since most of the components in that system you will need anyway but be sure it has at least 2 batteries as they are $130 ea. If you want anymore info email me at [email protected]
And again you are trying to double my cost, or more. Not necessary for what I'm planning to do with it.

Not sure how your eyes are but a good tablet is a necessity. Mini 5 is a solid choice, but there are others too. You can find a list of compatible tablets on this site. You made a good choice by reaching out via this forum.
Where??

I dont know where it went. But you'll find the mini 5 is very popular.

Let us know what you currently have. May work fine for now.

Thomas, I am sure it will exceed my needs!! Thanks for the manual!
Platinum 4, thanks for the you tube suggestions
True Green , Probably just get the drone to start and add on from there, good Christmas gift suggestions. And I guess you have to be a Costco member to buy from them, I'll have to look into it.
The Costco deal sounds good you'd be surprised how having at least one extra battery makes things nicer.

Complete rookie here looking for advice.. I do not own a real Drone.. yet! My 65th birthday is coming up and I think the wife is looking to get me a Drone. After tons of research I've come to the conclusion the Mavic Air 2 is my best choice but I want some opinions please.
We live way out in the country on our little 100 acre place which most likely be the only place I'll be flying, I'll be doing this just for fun, getting some good pics and videos and looking around my place. So my main question is, is this an easy drone to learn to fly? I'd hate to crash this $800 toy into a tree or something. And oh yeah, the obstacle avoidance is a big part of liking this drone. And is there some good videos/articles on learning to fly these things?

And any suggestions for me?

Thanks..
You're asking the wrong question. The correct question is, "Which drone crashes the least." This is easily answered by perusing the forums. Bar none, the Mavic Forum has the most crashes. The Inspire forum seems to have the least, almost tied with the Phantom forum. That said, I own a Phantom 4 Pro, an Inspire 1 v2 and a Mavic Pro and have for years. I've had no problem with any of them. But to all who know me, I don't just fly them. I hack the software and firmware to make them more reliable. But I digress...

Maybe other "rookies" can chime in. But based on the forum posts, the Mavic series and being a rookie is a volatile combination.

Discuss.

D

You're asking the wrong question. The correct question is, "Which drone crashes the least." This is easily answered by perusing the forums. Bar none, the Mavic Forum has the most crashes. The Inspire forum seems to have the least, almost tied with the Phantom forum. That said, I own a Phantom 4 Pro, an Inspire 1 v2 and a Mavic Pro and have for years. I've had no problem with any of them. But to all who know me, I don't just fly them. I hack the software and firmware to make them more reliable. But I digress...

Maybe other "rookies" can chime in. But based on the forum posts, the Mavic series and being a rookie is a volatile combination.

Discuss.

D
WOW, that was fun.....
Really appreciate all the great help that was... haha!

Last edited:

Discuss.

D
Too many variables in “which drone crashes least?”.... overwhelming majority of crashes are pilot error.... so the best pilots have fewer crashes regardless of what drone is involved.

Reactions: A.O.
I was in your position a few short months ago. Wanted a drone, never flew one. I reviewed drones for a few months based on what my goals were: user friendliness, camera, features, manufacturer service and reviews by pilots ( beginners and seasoned pilots).

My conclusion was the Mavic 2 Pro.. Been flying for 6 months with one mishap (tree branch-user error on RTH)....covered by DJI and bought the Refresh program.

Whatever drone you get, get the Refresh program.

Very happy with the M2P. The MA-2 was my second choice and highly recommended.

I was in your position a few short months ago. Wanted a drone, never flew one. I reviewed drones for a few months based on what my goals were: user friendliness, camera, features, manufacturer service and reviews by pilots ( beginners and seasoned pilots).

My conclusion was the Mavic 2 Pro.. Been flying for 6 months with one mishap (tree branch-user error on RTH)....covered by DJI and bought the Refresh program.

Whatever drone you get, get the Refresh program.

Very happy with the M2P. The MA-2 was my second choice and highly recommended.
I did get the Care refresh when I was setting things up, seemed like a no brainer, especially for a new pilot. WAIT A MINUTE!!! Am I a pilot?? Whoohoo!!!:p

Hey if you want crash proof check out Skydio2.
If you want DJI then get yourself an older Mavic Pro Platinum. Stay away from the toy drones like the Mini.

Hey if you want crash proof check out Skydio2.
If you want DJI then get yourself an older Mavic Pro Platinum. Stay away from the toy drones like the Mini.
NOTHING is crash proof!

I got the MA2 and its doing just fine.. didn't want to do used on my first drone.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King