DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Rookie questions

Thanks, not planning on relying on that Obstacle avoidance, just a little extra help is all, but thanks for the advice. Eventually when I get better at it I would like to fly it through my woods and was thinking that would be a good place for the obstacle avoidance help . I have a couple of nice open fields to learn and get started in.
Be careful! Flying through the woods is the biggest challenge for the obstacle avoidance sensors. They don't easily recognize power lines or thin branches.

Be careful! Flying through the woods is the biggest challenge for the obstacle avoidance sensors. They don't easily recognize power lines or thin branches.
Thank you I'm sure it will be quite a while before I try to do that.

So then I'd be doubling the price... don't think that would be necessary on a purely recreational drone for a rookie.
And I'll probably not fly in windy conditions for quite a while anyway.
Plenty of decent used products available.

So, should I start out with this thing in the tripod mode to be safe?
Looks like you have received much good advice already. I will add my two cents worth though anyway. If I were looking for my first drone, the Air 2 would be my choice. Even as an upgrade from my Spark I would have chosen it but for some other considerations.

And to answer your question, there should be a "Beginner mode" you can use that limits speed and distance. Tripod mode would be similar, without the distance limitations. I bought an inexpensive toy drone to play with. They are great fun and good for learning how to control the aircraft without GPS.

Reactions: Otisangb
I love my Air 2. You won't be disappointed. (I don't kiss it.)

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So then I'd be doubling the price... don't think that would be necessary on a purely recreational drone for a rookie.
And I'll probably not fly in windy conditions for quite a while anyway.
I've flown in sustained 30 mph winds with my MA2 and it was rock solid. You shouldn't worry too much about the wind resistance of an MA2 versus an M2P.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Complete rookie here looking for advice.. I do not own a real Drone.. yet! My 65th birthday is coming up and I think the wife is looking to get me a Drone. After tons of research I've come to the conclusion the Mavic Air 2 is my best choice but I want some opinions please.
We live way out in the country on our little 100 acre place which most likely be the only place I'll be flying, I'll be doing this just for fun, getting some good pics and videos and looking around my place. So my main question is, is this an easy drone to learn to fly? I'd hate to crash this $800 toy into a tree or something. And oh yeah, the obstacle avoidance is a big part of liking this drone. And is there some good videos/articles on learning to fly these things?

And any suggestions for me?

Thanks..
Buy a good drone first up. Have a mavic 2 pro and 40 acres in Tasmania Australia.

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome from Chicago the Windy City.
Videos are very nice to learn from, but practice, and more practice is always good.
And flying in tripod mode is always a wise decision, only be care of the Red button it cancels it out. These young pilots can watch five or six videos one after another, and understand what's going on. Its, different with us older guys. Takes longer to process the info, a lot to learn. For instance about RTH, this feature is one of the most complex of a DJI drone. If you do not understand how it works, it can do unexpected things. Understanding the Aircraft status indicator lights, also lets you know what is going on. For instance yellow blinking slowly, means, No GPS or downward vision system (ATTI mode). Also, have a check list, to make sure, your aircraft is ready to fly. Learning to fly is very important, you can't be a race car driver if you can't drive a car. Fly safe, and keep the rotors pointing up.

Welcome from Chicago the Windy City.
Videos are very nice to learn from, but practice, and more practice is always good.
And flying in tripod mode is always a wise decision, only be care of the Red button it cancels it out. These young pilots can watch five or six videos one after another, and understand what's going on. Its, different with us older guys. Takes longer to process the info, a lot to learn. For instance about RTH, this feature is one of the most complex of a DJI drone. If you do not understand how it works, it can do unexpected things. Understanding the Aircraft status indicator lights, also lets you know what is going on. For instance yellow blinking slowly, means, No GPS or downward vision system (ATTI mode). Also, have a check list, to make sure, your aircraft is ready to fly. Learning to fly is very important, you can't be a race car driver if you can't drive a car. Fly safe, and keep the rotors pointing up.
Ha!! I grew up in the Chicago Suburbs, out in the boonies as John Colman called it!! If you are near my age you might remember. Thanks for the advice... now this check list, give me some ideas of what to put on it please.

I have all my batteries in Safe bags, even at home. Check out for your self about these batteries. Read the Manuel . If you do not properly care for your batteries
the battery life can be reduced by 50 percent. Normally you should get 200 cycles if you discharged the batteries to no lower then 20 percent. If you don't do every thing right regarding the batteries, you may get 90 cycles or less.
Never, ever fly with swollen batteries, have read that pilots do not follow guidelines and have issues. Some things NOT TO DO. Never fly with swollen battery, never remove battery from drone housing while its energised, never charge battery unattended, and protect terminals and battery during transit.
Check this out your self, easy to do, so you know the facts.

Ok, some more questions, didn't want to start yet another thread...
1) DJI care, or refresh or what ever it is... what does it do? Worth the 79 bucks or what ever it is?
2) What about some kind of drone insurance for flyaway loss or crash.. is there such a thing?
3) And.. VLOS? I keep seeing this I know what it means but I thought it was just a rule or law... but what about loss of signal? Again, I have 100 acres which is long (3500 ft) and skinny, I was hoping to use this drone to look at said property from above. To do this I am sure I will loose VLOS... would I be breaking the law... or would my drone zing off into oblivion at some point? And no, I wont have a spotter I'm alone most of the time and do most everything by myself.. over my life I have gotten used to and pretty good at doing stuff by myself..

Ok, some more questions, didn't want to start yet another thread...
1) DJI care, or refresh or what ever it is... what does it do? Worth the 79 bucks or what ever it is?
2) What about some kind of drone insurance for flyaway loss or crash.. is there such a thing?
3) And.. VLOS? I keep seeing this I know what it means but I thought it was just a rule or law... but what about loss of signal? Again, I have 100 acres which is long (3500 ft) and skinny, I was hoping to use this drone to look at said property from above. To do this I am sure I will loose VLOS... would I be breaking the law... or would my drone zing off into oblivion at some point? And no, I wont have a spotter I'm alone most of the time and do most everything by myself.. over my life I have gotten used to and pretty good at doing stuff by myself..
VLOS is the law, not the technology. The idea is being peripherally aware of manned air traffic in relation to your AC and being able to react accordingly.

I was going to say that on your own property that nobody should be complaining to get you in trouble but even a crop duster might fly over your property at a lower altitude than he should but would still have the right of way.

VLOS is the law, not the technology. The idea is being peripherally aware of manned air traffic in relation to your AC and being able to react accordingly.

I was going to say that on your own property that nobody should be complaining to get you in trouble but even a crop duster might fly over your property at a lower altitude than he should but would still have the right of way.
Yeah, the only planes flying over my place are commercial jets at probably 35,000 feet!

Then I wouldn't be too concerned about violating VLOS on your own property.

If something goes wrong though, having VLOS can help in deciding how to handle it or know exactly what it did when it went wrong.

Complete rookie here looking for advice.. I do not own a real Drone.. yet! My 65th birthday is coming up and I think the wife is looking to get me a Drone. After tons of research I've come to the conclusion the Mavic Air 2 is my best choice but I want some opinions please.
We live way out in the country on our little 100 acre place which most likely be the only place I'll be flying, I'll be doing this just for fun, getting some good pics and videos and looking around my place. So my main question is, is this an easy drone to learn to fly? I'd hate to crash this $800 toy into a tree or something. And oh yeah, the obstacle avoidance is a big part of liking this drone. And is there some good videos/articles on learning to fly these things?

And any suggestions for me?

Thanks..
The MA2 (Fly More Combo)is my first drone. I too was uneasy about crashing my expensive new bird. But it was very easy to learn to fly and the pictures are phenomenal.

I'm a 51 year old from Ohio. I purchased the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo. I was uneasy about spending alot of money on a drone when I've never owned one and taking a chance on crashing. I too live in the country just outside of a small town. After about 2 days of flying over an open field in my backyard to get comfortable with the control's it was super easy and one of the best purchases I've ever made. The photos are phenomenal!
What an amazingly awesome hobby.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I'm a 51 year old from Ohio. I purchased the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo. I was uneasy about spending alot of money on a drone when I've never owned one and taking a chance on crashing. I too live in the country just outside of a small town. After about 2 days of flying over an open field in my backyard to get comfortable with the control's it was super easy and one of the best purchases I've ever made. The photos are phenomenal!
What an amazingly awesome hobby.
Thanks...
And if you are from Ohio... Where's Waldo? I used to live there.

Reactions: uav.guy.45390
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661